Author Topic: Bailiff change may affect UK link  (Read 3881 times)

Jason the Maverick

Bailiff change may affect UK link
« on: August 09, 2008, 11:19:49 AM »
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/jersey/7549628.stm

Jersey's position as a Crown Dependency could change if the role of the bailiff was changed, it has been claimed.

Deputy Shona Pitman believes having the bailiff as president of the States and the Royal Court is undemocratic and proposed a debate last September.

But the Privileges and Procedures Committee want to delay the debate.

It said it was not appropriate for such a far-reaching decision for the island to be made on the basis of such a brief report and proposition.

Ms Pitman would like to see the positions of bailiff and deputy bailiff removed from the States and replaced with elected speakers by 2011.

Crown 'possession'

But the PPC wants to see a detailed review of the bailiff's role and a report into the practical consequences of change.

It said any such action would effectively abolish the position of the bailiff and could affect the island's constitutional position as a 'bailiwick' and a Crown Dependency.

As a dependency, Jersey does not form part of the UK or the European Union. It is a part of the British-Irish Council.

Jersey is administered independently, but is a "possession" of the Crown and not a sovereign nation.

Appointed by the Crown, the bailiff is the president of Jersey's government and acts as the speaker in the House.

He has no political power, but does have the casting vote in the event of a tied ballot.

The bailiff also presides over the Royal Court.

The island's current bailiff is Sir Phillip Bailhache.

Offline boatyboy

Re: Bailiff change may affect UK link
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2008, 11:56:30 PM »
Mumbai

thank you for informing us as to the powers bestowed upon the Bailiff, My understanding is that Stuart Syvret was invited to leave the house by the Bailiff is that in his powers, and based in law ? It’s a fact so thought I would ask ?   

Offline boatyboy

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2010, 08:10:31 PM »
Completely tongue in cheek of course, from the Guardian, Quotes are selective please read item.

One of my favourite ideas was the simple proposal that "Britain should invade Jersey". Now that TV's Bergerac is just a distant memory this policy has become truly popular, not least because Jersey is one of the tax havens that have become the legal pirate coves of the 21st century.

The-Tax-justice-Network-Group (not to be confused with the rightwing Tax Payers' Alliance) estimates the UK loses about £18bn a year in tax revenue due to "corporate tax efficiency" ie companies moving offshore. The Iraq war cost at least £8bn. So war with Jersey would not only be morally right but self-financing too. In fact we could probably do a bond issue for the invasion to pay for everything up front with the promise of a steady yearly return for investors.

However the case for invading Jersey is made even more compelling by whistle-blower Stuart Syvret, the longest-serving senator and "father of the house" in the Jersey parliament. Syvret recently posted documents on his blog claiming that the island's political elite were refusing to investigate malpractice in the health service

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2010/feb/08/britain-should-invade-jersey

BB
« Last Edit: February 08, 2010, 08:15:08 PM by boatyboy »

rogueelement

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2010, 01:23:27 AM »
Typically all over the place , hope you have Sat Nav on your boat Boooooooooooty Buoy!
now why not attack on one front at a time?

Quote from Batty
One of my favourite ideas was the simple proposal that "Britain should invade Jersey". Now that TV's Bergerac is just a distant memory this policy has become truly popular, not least because Jersey is one of the tax havens that have become the legal pirate coves of the 21st century.

HAHAHA

Then how might BAe have developed its world wide links without our (And the UK governments help)  I hope i,m not implying that the UK has in any way been duplitious in arms dealing throughout the years , that would be a terrible (and yet quite believable) thing to say.

The tax justice network is composed of a bunch of self serving muppets being paid more that you and me , probably with donations from such wonderful countries as Libya , Uganda and Nigeria...........Can we have a look at their books?

Quote from Queen booty ....

However the case for invading Jersey is made even more compelling by whistle-blower Stuart Syvret, the longest-serving senator and "father of the house" in the Jersey parliament. Syvret recently posted documents on his blog claiming that the island's political elite were refusing to investigate malpractice in the health service

More like the little sissy boy who cried wolf so often that he was kicked into touch by the villagers and gobbled up by the wolves !

I hope he carries a few pebbles in his pocket as he is led down the garden path of UK politics .

I do wonder Beaty Bore if you really get off on this stuff,,,,,,,,, ? I find it alarming that you can be so vociferous without having some sort of goal, what do you wish to achieve? I can see Ricos view point , heart on sleeve, nice geezer , but what is your motivation?
Do tell?

Offline Malachi

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2010, 02:57:34 AM »
You're being a bit disingenuous here, Spartacus...

BB is just posting a link to Mark Thomas' Grauniad/CiF article and quoting a few things from it (presumably to provoke discussion, but that rarely happens when you are around); they are Mark Thomas' words, not BB's.

The comments are interesting... indicating that the generalisation/prejudices about Channel Islanders (i.e. we're all multi-millionaires and/or finance/legal professionals on 100K+/annum or multiples thereof) are pretty much alive...

Stuart has turned up too, as have a couple of Stuart-bashers... and the usual accusations ("you're Jason, aren't you?") are being thrown about...

Offline Dundee

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2010, 03:23:11 AM »
Uncle Frank was right Stuart was out to shaft Jersey I knew the truth would out, he's now turned into a traitor working with the enemy now.
I also see why they keep Terry's fireworks on the north coast so as they can be used as part of the early warning defence system.

Offline Dylan

• HELP!
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2010, 01:25:56 PM »
Typically all over the place , hope you have Sat Nav on your boat Boooooooooooty Buoy!
now why not attack on one front at a time?

Quote from Batty

HAHAHA

Then how might BAe have developed its world wide links without our (And the UK governments help)  I hope i,m not implying that the UK has in any way been duplitious in arms dealing throughout the years , that would be a terrible (and yet quite believable) thing to say.

The A UK Pro Tax Group is composed of a bunch of self serving muppets being paid more that you and me , probably with donations from such wonderful countries as Libya , Uganda and Nigeria...........Can we have a look at their books?

Quote from Queen booty ....

More like the little sissy boy who cried wolf so often that he was kicked into touch by the villagers and gobbled up by the wolves !

I hope he carries a few pebbles in his pocket as he is led down the garden path of UK politics .

I do wonder Beaty Bore if you really get off on this stuff,,,,,,,,, ? I find it alarming that you can be so vociferous without having some sort of goal, what do you wish to achieve? I can see Ricos view point , heart on sleeve, nice geezer , but what is your motivation?
Do tell?

Fancy another posting as to your avatar? :o
!dereggub si draobyek ym kniht I