Author Topic: The Law Society support Sir Philip - letter in the rag.  (Read 2619 times)

Jason the Maverick

The Law Society support Sir Philip - letter in the rag.
« on: July 12, 2008, 02:14:34 PM »
From Advocate Charles Thacker (president of the Law Society of Jersey).

THE scheduling of the debate in the States Assembly on 15 July of a motion of censure on the Bailiff has prompted me to write as President of the Law Society of Jersey to express the high regard in which Sir Philip’s work as President of the Royal Court is generally held by the legal profession in the Island.

During his term of office the volume of work dealt with by the Royal Court has expanded considerably and the cases coming before the Court nowadays are frequently of extreme complexity as is to be expected in an international finance centre.

The judiciary under Sir Philip’s presidency have nonetheless given judgments which command respect and indeed admiration worldwide. The Royal Court continues, of course, to deal with general litigation which has no specific reference to financial services and the administration of justice in those cases too has been of a high quality.

Sir Philip has also pioneered the use of information technology in the Courts and sought with considerable success to give the public greater access to the legal process through such technology.

There are many aspects of the work of the Bailiff which extend beyond that of the Presidency of the Royal Court and as to which others can speak, but I hope my comments may be of assistance to the States Members in their deliberations on the motion of censure.

Offline Conductor

Re: The Law Society support Sir Philip - letter in the rag.
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2008, 02:25:32 PM »
My prediction is a landslide vote against this stupid waste of time of a motion apart from:

Syvret
Southern
Pitman
Martin

Offline Fritz

Re: The Law Society support Sir Philip - letter in the rag.
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2008, 05:52:10 PM »
"Turkeys wouldn,t vote for Christmas", springs to mind. Much the same as all the "kiss-arses", who were afraid to censure the ,"Alleged wife -beater".