Author Topic: Speeding and lowering the limit.  (Read 2037 times)

Offline Chevalier Blanc

Speeding and lowering the limit.
« on: July 13, 2013, 04:29:50 PM »
So 2 drivers were clocked at 100 & 110mph along Victoria Ave. The call is now to lower the speed limits.
How can that stop speeding?
Do they really believe that this is the answer.
Do we pay good money for these people to come up with stupid ways to stop speeding.
Make the speed 60 mph and they will still go over the limit.
Make them pay huge fines for speeding and take away their license for a few months on first offence. Now that would go alongway to stop the speeding.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2013, 05:30:42 PM by Chevalier Blanc »

Offline shortport

Re: Speeding and lowering the limit.
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2013, 08:13:40 PM »
Now if those smiley faces were speed cameras they would have been caught.
If you get caught speeding 3 times you lose your license for 5 years,that should nip it in the bud
I was amazed at the times some of these people were doing 100mph,not late at night as you might expect but after work.I think acceleration is the problem,there are so many Porsche,Ferarri owners here that after sitting in the office all day the only way they relieve some of the tension is to zoom off the traffic lights,they can probably hit 100mph without getting into third gear.
It won't be long before we get another Lotus incident happening,but of course that wasn't speeding was it.

Online Tosh

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2013, 01:56:37 AM »
The police say, according to the JEP today, they would not normally drive in excess of 20MPH over the set speed limit so they are ruling themselves out of being "in the frame" and they don't have records of attending to any shouts during the times of the high speed recordings.

I take this with a good pinch of salt...!

Offline Grumpy Old Woman

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2013, 02:33:04 AM »
 ??? I have serious doubts about the validity of the information they are collecting.

Whilst I can accept that a car out on the avenue at gone midnight might find enough clear road and opportunity to make it to 100+ mph, I really seriously doubt that the same could be found around 6.30pm.

Actually, has anyone seen a smiley face on the avenue?

Offline Fritz

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2013, 03:22:25 AM »
I think the smiley thing just gives the boy racers a record of their achievement.

Offline Chevalier Blanc

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2013, 03:05:47 PM »
Yes there is a smiley face on the avenue.

Offline man in the street

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2013, 10:18:56 PM »
lowering the speed limint as you all say will not  stop speeding.
 the  smiley  face on  the    avenue is a  good  veiw of  what your  doing  at  the time .,  and  goads  those  who  feel  the need  for  speed ( i  was  like  this  a long  time  ago.)
   the usual media  hype ,  it  was  more  then likely  4 in  the morning  and  a clear  road ,  or  change  of  shift  time of  the boys in blue .
 try   driving  you  car  at a  constant  30 mph,   my wifes  verso is  awfull  and third  gear is all  thats needed .
 we   have a  fuel  consumption meter on  the verso ,  before  we  left   for 800 odd miles in  france , it  showed  9.3 litres  per 100 km.
  when  we  came  back it  showed 7.3 per 100km.
  so  we  will  all  be  driving  around  very fuel  wasting  and blocked up ,  catalitic  converters (  dont  get hot   enough).
 if    the island  becomes  such a  awful place  to live , many  may leave , imho.

Offline wakey

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2013, 11:13:23 PM »
If the authorities are serious about people keeping to whatever is the lawful speed limit, they only have to install cameras as those set up in many French villages.  i speak from personal experience  that after you've been caught twice, you are very careful and pay a little more attention!
Incidentally, I don't know how many police cars there are in the Island, but rouge Bouillon is always jam packed with them, and I haven't seen one of the police bikes out and about for months.

Offline Fritz

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2013, 12:27:40 AM »
I think the speed limit on the avenue should be increased to whatever the level of traffic dictates.
If its ,"Chocka", no one is going to be able to do over 20mph on certain sections. If its clear, whats the problem with someone going ,"North", of 40mph?

Offline Jerry Gosselin

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2017, 10:05:59 AM »
Does anyone know whether the sudden appearance of black cables strewn across many roads in St Helier is connected to Crowcroft's outrageous plan to impose a 20 mph speed limit on all roads within the ring road? They are obviously recording some sort of data about cars as they drive over these cables but what is it all in aid of? Yesterday I noticed them by the Mayfair Hotel and also around the corner in Providence Street, then again in Belmont Road and also in St Saviours Road. There may be an innocent reason but I somehow doubt it. I suspect the parish is planning its next attack on motorists. If not the 20 mph limit then maybe they're conceiving yet another crackpot pedestrianisation scheme on the quiet?

Crowcroft needs revenue quickly to cover the hundreds of thousands he's thrown away on that court case and there's an election in 12 months (not that anyone is ever brave enough to oppose him). New fines for speeding at more than 20 mph would provide a perfectly-timed cash bonanza that will carry on paying out for years - until he succeeds in banishing the very last car from St Helier and then the tap of plenty will have finally run dry...

« Last Edit: March 19, 2017, 10:08:19 AM by Jerry Gosselin »

Offline Jerry Gosselin

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2017, 08:27:33 AM »
Silence from St Helier's 10 States Deputies but anger on social media as St Helier's Roads Committee votes to lower speed limit from 30mph to 20mph within the ring road

The controversial decision was taken during a St Helier Roads Committee meeting on Wednesday morning on the back of an apparent 'consultation' with residents which Crowcroft admitted only received 60 responses. I made reference to the Parish plan to drop the speed limit in my previous post on this thread about 5 weeks ago, so I must have read about it somewhere in a media article. However, I wasn't made aware of how to participate in any consultation, not that I would have bothered anyway as I know the parish was just going through the motions in order to justify what it had always intended to do come what may ("This is not a new idea for St. Helier and it has always been part of the strategy." - Simon Crowcroft quoted by Bailiwick Express, link below).

http://www.bailiwickexpress.com/jsy/news/roads-committee-calls-20mph-speed-limit-ring-road/?t=i

The sthelier.je website is a byzantine maze that is very difficult to navigate but I conducted a brief trawl of various pages to try to find an official mention of this supposed consultation, without any success. I also searched the minutes of the 3 previous Roads Committee meetings that have been held this year but there was simply no mention of their intention to reduce the speed limit to 20mph on all parish roads. It is possible they discussed it last year but I didn't have time to search through those minutes. Needless to say if this parish consultation only took place within the last couple of months then the Roads Committee hardly helped to raise public awareness of it by totally failing to mention their speed limit proposals during their own meetings that were open to the public to attend on 25th January, 1st March and 22nd March.

It is not known which Roads Committee members were in attendance and took this decision on Wednesday. The last Roads Committee election was held at a Parish Assembly meeting on 17th December 2014 (to elect 5 officers for a term of 3 years) but -surprise, surprise - when I searched for the minutes of that particular meeting, it had not been uploaded to the website! Even an extensive google search failed to find it. Is it just parish incompetence or something more sinister that accounts for vital information like this not being put into the public domain?

However, it would appear from cross-referencing with other Roads Committee minutes from that period that only one new officer was elected for the first time in 2014 (perennial St Helier No. 2 election failure Bernie Manning) with the others being re-elected (no doubt unopposed, as is the long-held tradition). The Roads Committee membership is regulated by a law that came into force over 100 years ago (1914) and is so arcane that even the Rector has automatic membership and presumably the right to vote as well. However, I presume that this week's meeting may have come too soon for the new Rector, whose appointment has only recently been announced.

According to the parish website (link below) these are the names of the current Roads Committee members (I have struck through the previous Rector's name):

Simon Crowcroft (Chair): email: constable@posh.gov.je; Tel.:  811821;
    Nigel Blake; email: g.n.blake14@gmail.com; Tel.:  875339;
    The Very Rev. Bob Key: email: robert_f_key@yahoo.com; Tel.:  720001;
    Robert Le Brocq: email: RLeBrocq@outlook.com; Tel.: 743606;
    Peter Wade: email: bema9@hotmail.com; Tel.:  875663;
    Bernard Manning: email: bernie.manning@hotmail.co.uk; Tel.:  07700 356438; and
    Barry Le Feuvre: email: barrylef@gmail.com: Tel.: 874391.

http://www.sthelier.je/elected-members/roads-committee/

It is simply not acceptable that a decision with such major consequences for all drivers of vehicles (whether they be St Helier residents or not) has been pushed through on the sly with no detailed information provided to justify it. For example, was any expert impartial opinion sought and if so, did that opinion specifically examine particular roads within the parish to see whether there was actually a problem with speeding and whether a blanket reduction in the speed limit could be justified. It might be appropriate for a 20mph limit on some of the narrower and smaller roads but there may well be other roads where a higher speed limit is quite acceptable. From the little we know, it seems that this Committee failed to undertake any expert research and didn't consider whether it was appropriate to have higher speed limits on certain roads, or whether other speed reducing measures would have been sufficient.

A valid question has been raised on BBC Radio Jersey's Facebook page by Jill Bartholomew (link below) as to where the exact boundary of the St Helier ring road is located. It is not clear where the ring road is located in the south of St Helier. For example, is Havre des Pas inside the ring road? If it is, then the ring road must be on the beach! To add further confusion, it seems that some major roads in the centre of town are actually classed as States main roads and not parish roads (i.e. Broad Street, Queen Street, etc.). Therefore it is far from clear to the ordinary public which roads will be affected by the Roads Committee decision and which won't.

https://www.facebook.com/bbcjersey

Let's just hope that this backfires on Crowcroft and someone is brave enough to stand against him in a year's time - and no, I don't mean Chris Whitworth or Stevie Ocean but someone with more than a chance in a million of actually beating him. He has been in the job unopposed for far too many years and none of the parish puppets holding office beneath him will disagree with him. There must be a change of both the person and the policy at the very top of the St Helier power pyramid and the time for this to happen is long overdue. 

http://www.sthelier.je/parish-meetings/roads-committee/

« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 08:33:54 AM by Jerry Gosselin »

Offline Fritz

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2017, 12:26:45 AM »
Dont see why any reduction of speed limit is required at all. The traffic volume pretty much limits itself at peak times.
Another waste of time and public money by Jersey,s ,"powers that be".

Offline shortport

« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2017, 02:36:07 AM »
Even if it was reduced to 20,it wouldn't make any difference because it is not properly policed.
The occasional speed check currently fails to keep a vast majority of people to under 30 mph so I very much doubt if lowering the limit will make much difference.Constant policing of speed limits and a points based system,3 strikes and you lose your license would be far more effective.
It will be just another law change that is never enforced,like littering,childs cycle hemets,smoking in cars,flytipping,etc,etc.
With all our coppers hiding in their shiny new HQ waiting for their early retirement,our society gradually crumbles into disarray.

Offline Jerry Gosselin

« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2017, 09:42:46 AM »
The example of the parish of St Clement strongly suggests that this new 20mph will be enforced in St Helier because there is the same enticement on offer: a potentially mind-boggling increase in revenue from speeding fines.

Below is a link to a post of mine from 2nd September 2015 in which I revealed how a deliberate attempt by Constable Norman to target speeding drivers in his parish led to parish income from speeding fines rocketing 26-fold in just 4 years:

http://planetjersey.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=3935.msg60313#msg60313

Like St Helier this week, the Parish of St Clement originally lobbied the Minister (successfully) to lower the speed limit by 10mph on most of its roads. The only difference in St Clement was that the speed limit was reduced to 30mph from 40mph. Ask anyone who needs to drive through St Clement today and I doubt many would claim that the new limits aren't enforced. In the evenings when the roads in that parish are nearly deserted and it is safe (but unlawful) to drive at more than 30mph, one is always nervously observing the road ahead for the revenue raising Gestapo.

It simply doesn't make sense that Crowcroft would go as far as getting the limits reduced, only to not then bother making full use of his new licence to print money. Yes we all know that it's virtually impossible to speed in town during working hours but obviously that is not when the parish will be on the lookout. As in St Clement, it will be during the evenings when the revenue raisers are most likely to be out in force. That might also be down to the fact that more hobby bobbies have finished their day jobs and are then available in larger numbers for evening duties.

I reckon that Crowcroft's ultimate intention would be to follow the UK and have speed cameras posted almost everywhere. He may well have more difficulties than St Clement in finding sufficient human revenue raisers for evening work and of course the town has real crime going on as well which has to be dealt with. Cameras would solve any personnel shortages. However, it may well take him several years to get such a Big Brother system up and running so I think he'll just have to make do with the traditional labour-intensive methods of enforcement until then.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2017, 09:48:49 AM by Jerry Gosselin »

Offline man in the street

« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2017, 03:47:55 PM »
 i think   we should all leave home  on Tuesday  morning  and drive to work at 20 mph  every where .
  residents  or should i say parking permit holders  were asked  our opinions  on the ring road ( where ever that  starts  and stop )speed limits.
  we  vote  for no  change.
 i see it  as  yet  another  way  of  extracting money  to  re  fuel  the  gravy  train  .
  welcome  to  second  gear  driving .
  some  years  ago (1976 ish? )  a  well known  motorcycle  club  of  the  time  was  fined  for  driving  too  slowly  along  Victoria  avenue  on  a  Sunday  afternoon .
  extra  chairs  were  required  in  the  dock  at  the old  magistrates court . lol.