Author Topic: Susie Pinel pays tribute to her political inspiration Margaret Thatcher  (Read 4516 times)

Offline Jerry Gosselin

On this evening's Channel Report (now diabolically re-branded as ITV News Channel TV), St Clement Deputy Susie Pinel paid tribute to Baroness Margaret Thatcher, who died today and who was clearly a political inspiration for her (although she chose not to reveal this to St Clement voters when she successfully stood for office in 2011).

Deputy Pinel said today:

“Her attitude of can do was inspirational. I don’t think this has been seen before and certainly not in a lady as she certainly was somebody who wouldn’t bow to dictate* - she would change the dictate* and I think that was always incredibly impressive.”

So Thatcher was the first strong and inspirational female politician? Has she never heard of Barbara Castle then?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2008/sep/19/labourconference.labour

* Pinel pronounced the word like dictate (as in Kate) but she may have been meaning it as diktat (as in cat). I've plumped for dictate as that's how she pronounced it.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 02:21:42 AM by Jerry Gosselin »

Offline boatyboy

The good news about Margaret Thatcher was she put her country before herself and even I ( just about ) remember the winter of discontent with continual power cuts and miners telling the UK Government what to do as well as the IMF putting the boot in.

She came to office with some heavy weight problems in the -  in tray - when England was on its knees and she took no nonsense.

I am wondering, judging by the rag tonight if Sarah Ferguson would not be a better Chief Minister, given that Jersey is still leaking  money like a colander leaks water. She is obviously not scared to speak her mind and understands a balance sheet being chairperson of corporate scrutiny.

bb

Offline Jerry Gosselin

The thread was created in order that St Clement voters who google Pinel's name before the 2014 elections have a clearer understanding of what she actually stands for. That's why it's filed under 'Susie Pinel'.  ::)  I know that many who live in social housing in that parish were not made aware of her right-wing leanings but they'll be a little bit wiser the next time. Definitely the widows who won't be getting any survivor's pension in the future thanks to Assistant Social Security Minister Pinel's recent benefit changes will be a lot wiser, that's for sure!

Perhaps you could create your own Margaret Thatcher Appreciation Thread, Boatyboy, so that you and other fans of her can pay homage in a more appropriate setting (and re-invent the 70's like they never actually were to your heart's content!)
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 04:10:51 AM by Jerry Gosselin »

Offline boatyboy

Sorry Jerry, guess I should have stuck to the subject matter otherwise why have threads at all, good point.

Regarding a fan of Thatcher yes she was the right person at the time as was Winston Churchill as was Gandhi. I thought for a moment you were calling me right wing which would make a nice change, as some call me a lefty but thank goodness not a tree hugger - yet ?

BB.

Offline danrok

The good news about Margaret Thatcher was she put her country before herself and even I ( just about ) remember the winter of discontent with continual power cuts and miners telling the UK Government what to do as well as the IMF putting the boot in.

She came to office with some heavy weight problems in the -  in tray - when England was on its knees and she took no nonsense.

I am wondering, judging by the rag tonight if Sarah Ferguson would not be a better Chief Minister, given that Jersey is still leaking  money like a colander leaks water. She is obviously not scared to speak her mind and understands a balance sheet being chairperson of corporate scrutiny.

bb

PMs are self-serving, the position of power feeds their egos and bank balances.

Offline imacrappaud

I was about to add something to Boaty Boys comment but I don't want to upset the threads moderator  ;)

Offline man in the street

in  hind  sight ,  mrs thatcher  was a good  no nonsence  priminister ,  far better than  the turkeys  that followed  her .
   whilst  not  agreeing  with her policies in full , the thatcher  years  were  ok.
 and    quite like sarah ferguson,  for her out spokeness.
  there is nothing  that sticks in my mind   that susie pinel has  done  at all .

Offline rico sorda

• locked & loaded lets rock rsx
Deputy Pinel replaced Deputy Dupré

And thats about it really. She says and does nothing apart from push the establishment button on votes. Useless.
one ban away from oblivion rsx

Offline Jerry Gosselin

Deputy Pinel replaced Deputy Dupré

And thats about it really. She says and does nothing apart from push the establishment button on votes. Useless.

Absolutely right. Pinel read out a pre-written speech during the survivor's benefit debate which was meticulous in setting out the position of her boss Francis Le Gresley MBE. That's the problem for me- it was just too meticulous. Not a single 'um' or 'er' in it that I recall, no grammatical mistakes or obvious factual errors. It was word perfect. I wonder whether she could repeat that word perfect defence if someone challenged her in the street on the subject without notice? She strikes me as being one of the last ministers who would resign their position over a matter of principle, particularly when differential pay becomes a reality next year. I don't like to hear local politicians reading out pre-written speeches. Not only does it not sound very natural but there is the obvious concern over which other influential personalities might have helped them to write it.

Offline Jerry Gosselin

I was about to add something to Boaty Boys comment but I don't want to upset the threads moderator  ;)

Having thought a bit more about this, there is an obvious desire to argue about Thatcher's legacy and her fanboy Boatyboy has so far failed to create a separate thread in her honour, so we might as well start adding general comments about Thatcher here on this thread. From my point of view it will get even more hits than it would otherwise have done. It might then end up being the top pick on Google for anyone typing in 'Susie Pinel', which will really annoy her come the election next year! I also notice that thisisjersey.com has banned any comments being submitted about Thatcher on one of their online articles. They have obviously realised that she is a very controversial figure and some of the comments will be tasteless. It is only right that people should be able to make comments about her on one of the local forums, so why not here?

Here are two links about Thatcher that I think are quite revealing-

1) The Guardian's article today speculating on the wealth of her estate. I'm disgusted that her stay at the Ritz Hotel was being financed by the hotel's owners- the billionaire Barclay Brothers. I remember watching their top man on Sark blatantly following John Sweeney around the little island as he filmed a BBC documentary there a few months ago. Very sinister and threatening behaviour, particularly considering the island's unhappy time under German Occupation. As islanders we should be free to express our dissent without fearing that the powerful have sent some thug to follow us down to the supermarket and film us. It seems that one of Thatcher's wealthy supporters bought her Belgravia home through a BVI registered company in 2006 although she continued to live there. Is this a tax dodge to avoid a huge chunk of inheritance tax? If so, why are the British taxpayers having to cough up millions for her funeral?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2013/apr/09/margaret-thatcher-estate-family-secret

2) Thatcher's right-to-buy policy for council tenants made her very popular with many plebs who were lucky enough to be able to take advantage. This BBC article takes a look at one such estate in North London and gives us a better understanding of the economics of it. One resident took advantage of Thatcher's right-to-buy policy and bought his 5-bedroom council home in 1980 for just £39,000, even though the true market value at the time was about £70,000. Today it is worth around £600,000. My own calculations indicate that £39,000 in 1980 would be worth just over £140,000 today when you take into account inflation, so it is clear that some lucky former council tenants have got an awful lot back for very little effort, which doesn't sit too comfortably alongside the Thatcher principle of making hard work pay, in my view. Other residents on the estate are not so happy, pointing out that many of them could not afford to buy back then. Furthermore, after 1990, most councils could not invest more than 25% of the sale proceeds into building new houses. As a result, councils stopped building enough social housing, resulting in today's chronic housing crisis. We also learn that some people on this estate bought two properties and now rent them out:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-22077190
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 08:04:33 PM by Jerry Gosselin »

Offline man in the street

Re: Susie Pinel pays tribute to her political inspiration Margaret Thatcher
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2013, 10:42:23 PM »
 fair play to the barclay brothers for  putting  up  the  iron lady .
   so  the plebs  got a  deal on  thier  run down  council house ,  shame  our lot   did  not  save  the  cash  and  sell off some  homes  not  refubished   and  take into account some of  the   full rents  paid .
  this  pleb  has  spent £120, 000 minimum on  rent   at  the plebs  abode ,  but  sadly we  could not  service  a mortgage .
 the house  we live in ,  was valued  a £400,000(  freehold  price ) and  about  £320 ,000  with  shared  equity( no  thanks )
  and  cost £6,000  to build .(  and  may of had £40,000 squandered on  doing it up)
  the british taxpayer is paying  for  her  funeral ( one  example)   because   she  took  back  billions of  payments  from   the    euro bods  who were  bleeding   britian  dry .