Author Topic: Queen's Birthday honours  (Read 4957 times)

Offline Dundee

Queen's Birthday honours
« on: June 16, 2012, 03:58:59 PM »
Congratulations to Michael Birt for his knighthood in the Queen's Birthday honours.  Good to see Jersey in such a postive light.

Offline Chevalier Blanc

Re: Queen's Birthday honours
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2012, 05:05:13 PM »
Are you kidding me with good luck to birt on his knighthood he deserves it?
The other 3 people do deserve their MBE's.
Same old establishment giving themselves awards to make them feel good and powerful.

Offline Dundee

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2012, 10:06:56 PM »
Are you kidding me with good luck to birt on his knighthood he deserves it?
The other 3 people do deserve their MBE's.
Same old establishment giving themselves awards to make them feel good and powerful.

Get real Jean Le Maistre for what? He was a not a very good politician, and from the red neck methodist circuit otherwise know as St Ouennais's.

Sir Michael Birt is good and powerful, nothing wrong in good leadership.

Offline man in the street

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2012, 12:57:12 AM »
none of our politians of the last 15 years deserve any thing at all.

Offline GeeGee

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2012, 04:29:36 AM »
Get real Jean Le Maistre for what? He was a not a very good politician, and from the red neck methodist circuit otherwise know as St Ouennais's.

Sir Michael Birt is good and powerful, nothing wrong in good leadership

Good and powerful - get real Dundee. Powerful in a most corrupt sense maybe, but good??? You jest, you really do.

As I understand it Bailiff's are granted their honours as a matter of course not because they have actually earned it and this one certainly has not.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2012, 03:11:32 PM by GeeGee »

Offline Dundee

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2012, 04:02:12 PM »
Gee Gee the fellow is at the height of his profession and well respected, nothing wrong with that, what a shame your so negative about him and making unfounded comments, why not explain your thoughts?

Offline moot

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2012, 06:45:50 PM »
Jean le Maistre always give the creeps for some reason. Reminds me of a wet cloth. However he might well have earned it !

Offline wakey

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2012, 12:24:50 AM »
Being on the Bailhache's Christmas card list was always going to reap its own rewards.

Offline GeeGee

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2012, 01:24:41 PM »
Gee Gee the fellow is at the height of his profession and well respected, nothing wrong with that, what a shame your so negative about him and making unfounded comments, why not explain your thoughts?

I think you will find your answer on one of the last comments on Stuart Syvret's blog. He explains far more eloquently than I can, but my reasoning echoes his. 3 worthy recipients of honours for work they have done for those who have benefited from their committment. One man honoured for the position he holds and it would appear for what he has NOT done!

No contest really.

Offline imacrappaud

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2012, 01:26:03 AM »
Knighthoods, in my opinion should be given to those people who contribute to helping people, and lots of them. Their are many people who help loads of others without being rich and they deserve a knighthood, likewise there are many rich people who use their wealth to hep people and also deserve a knighthood.

When it becomes the next notch on the ladder of success so to speak, and that is what the encumbant is looking for rather than finding out; to their surprise they have been nominated and/or knighted then it just makes a mockery of being knighted.

Fred Goodwin, RBS ex chief was hell bent on getting a knighthood and he got it! It was removed a few years later.

Point being Goodwin wanted a knighthood and did what he could to get it, Birt has done similar but by following a different path where his is guaranteed at the end of his tenure and, providing nothing happens to rock Birts boat he wont see his knighthood removed, unless god forbid it is discovered that Stuart Syvrets and others revelations are discovered to be fact. But thats another discussion!

Offline Fritz

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2012, 12:27:49 AM »
I cannot fathom why, if Britain has so many Knights, Ill-equipped squaddies are still being sent out to do all the fighting?

Offline Calimachon

• http://www.amnesty.org.uk/
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2012, 03:41:17 PM »
You have a point there.  But apparently they all sit in a huge room and snooze in between passing comments on what happens in the Commons.  I have visited that room and it is magnificent.  I was in such awe of the surroundings and just love Westminster Palace but prefer the High Court buiding. I loved the historic room of Kings and Queens and every picture I saw within my history book came to life at that moment.

I have moved on and I am somewhat disillusioned these days and have become a Republican.  No amount of 'Pomp and Ceremony' will change my mind now.

Let the Knights snooze away in the upper house that is all they are fit for!

Cali
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 03:45:44 PM by Calimachon »
TOMORROW (Noun) = A mystical land where 99% of all human productivity, motivation an achievement is stored

Offline Chevalier Blanc

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2012, 04:37:59 PM »
Many years ago i visited thev House of Lords and there were only 9 lords in there with 4 of them sleeping. When it came for a vote the 4 sleepers were woken up and they voted. A very beautiful building indeed. The number of famous people walking through the building that day number about 11.

Offline Calimachon

• http://www.amnesty.org.uk/
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2012, 05:40:04 PM »
Many years ago i visited thev House of Lords and there were only 9 lords in there with 4 of them sleeping. When it came for a vote the 4 sleepers were woken up and they voted. A very beautiful building indeed. The number of famous people walking through the building that day number about 11.

Nine Lords asleeping puts a new slant on the song 'The Twelve Days of Christmas' doesn't it :)

There were no Lords in the House when I visited as it was over the Christmas holiday period I visited.

Cali
TOMORROW (Noun) = A mystical land where 99% of all human productivity, motivation an achievement is stored