Author Topic: The Electoral Reform Commission  (Read 59453 times)

Offline Jerry Gosselin

Re: The Electoral Reform Commission
« Reply #345 on: April 25, 2017, 06:00:57 AM »
This was just a comment left by some Telegraph reader below what looks like a Telegraph editorial. Since when does anyone quote from the comments section rather than the main article itself? We don't know anything about the writer or whether they've even been to France. It could be one of the nutty Barclay twins writing under a pseudonym for all we know.

Worthless drivel, just like the paper itself. Mind you, a great future as a JEP columnist awaits this person if they ever decide to move to Jersey.  ;D

Offline Jerry Gosselin

« Reply #346 on: May 16, 2017, 07:56:26 PM »
Expect a big turnout of Reform Jersey goons at the Town Hall tomorrow night to support the failed Powergate electoral reforms ahead of yet another States debate set for 6th June:

http://www.itv.com/news/channel/2017-05-11/voters-asked-for-views-on-electoral-reform/

I can't imagine why a Scrutiny Panel has chosen now of all times to conduct a half-hearted attempt at a consultation when a definite decision has already been taken. Surely everyone in the island with any view on the subject has already contributed to the myriad of consultations, opinion polls and referenda that have taken place over the past decade or more. The vast majority, if not all, of the people attending one of these five public meetings will merely be re-stating their existing views and possibly a majority of them will be either present or past States Members who have participated in past debates. Nothing that we don't already know can possibly come out of it. Furthermore, if, as expected, supporters of the Powergate proposition are in the majority, what are States Members supposed to do? Change the way they voted only 3 months ago based on the views of a few dozen people shouting the loudest at these meetings?

The reforms, whether they be the Powergate or Farnham versions, will result in all parishes apart from St Helier having to share their own Deputies with neighbouring parishes, thereby diluting the representation of individual parishes in the States and making parishes more reliant on their own Constables to defend parish interests in the Assembly. However, these meetings are only being held in 5 out of 12 parishes. So the parishioners of Grouville will have their say at a meeting next Monday, yet the parishioners of St Clement, who will in future have to share their Deputies with Grouville (and possibly with St Martin too depending on which version becomes law), get no meeting of their own and presumably are expected to go to Grouville parish hall if they want to express their views.

Terrible waste of everyone's time.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2017, 08:09:43 PM by Jerry Gosselin »

Offline Jerry Gosselin

« Reply #347 on: May 19, 2017, 07:50:05 PM »
Apparently there were no more than a dozen members of the public at the Town Hall on Wednesday for the Corporate Services Scrutiny Panel consultation.  :-[ I presume that number doesn't include the usual States Members who always attend these events religiously. Did the States Members outnumber the general public? I would have thought it likely that they did if you include the ones on the Scrutiny Panel itself.

There were apparently about 50 people at Tuesday night's meeting in St Saviour, of which nearly a third were States Members.

The whole thing is being rushed through as fast as possible to get something down in writing in time for the States meeting on 6th June. I heard from last night's JEP (very small thumb-size article) that the Panel will be interviewing Len Norman and Lord Bailhache (the latter being the brains behind the great sham referendum of 2013) this afternoon. So less than a day's notice to the public.

Now we hear today that MORI have been randomly calling members of the public to question them on the (already approved) reforms but because the Panel did not make this information widely known, some people who have been called have presumed, quite sensibly, that the caller was not genuine. More details here:

https://mobile.twitter.com/BBCJersey/status/865505582769258496

This is ironic because I have said for years that the most accurate indications of what the public really wanted was recorded in those MORI surveys carried out on different occasions during the last decade. However, the States Members themselves did not agree with some of the public's views expressed in those surveys which conflicted with policies they had already secretly decided to adopt (e.g. extending the term of office for Deputies and Constables from 3 years to 4 years) and so the results of those surveys have been quietly buried and no new surveys carried out, to avoid potential further embarrassment.

However, this new survey has been commissioned at lightning speed with obviously very little thought put in by the Scrutiny Panel as to what questions should be asked. If the questions you ask aren't good enough then the answers won't be good enough either. This survey should have been commissioned in 2013 rather than have that 26% zero credibility sham referendum. Such a survey would have had to give the public a proper chance to say that they didn't agree with any of the Bailhache reform options and to explain exactly why they didn't agree. In that way, a properly conducted MORI survey in 2013 would have included the views of the majority of the electorate who either failed to cast a vote or, like myself, spoiled their ballot papers. It would have been far more representative of public opinion than a 26% sham referendum which, even to this day, Mezec regards as the one and only poll that the States Assembly must obey.

Just one more thing: I presume that MORI must be contacting these interviews with owners of JT landlines and JT mobile numbers listed in the JT telephone directory. 15 years ago this would not have been so much of an issue as anyone in Jersey with a telephone number would have been listed unless they were ex-directory. Today it is very different and a very large number of islanders no longer have landlines and instead only have mobile numbers with networks which don't publish a directory. It would seem that all these people are automatically excluded from MORI's telephone survey and this is a concern. It could make it more difficult for MORI to obtain a representative cross section of public opnion if the survey mainly contacts landline numbers, for example. People with landlines might well be older, more traditionalist voters and in my opinion, the reason that many have given up landlines over the past decade in favour of mobiles is the cost. This is certainly the case with me. If it was just as cheap to have a landline than to have a mobile then I might never have given up my landline a decade ago. The concern is therefore that people on low incomes are not being adequately represented in these snap telephone surveys.

« Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 07:56:39 PM by Jerry Gosselin »

Online Fritz

« Reply #348 on: May 20, 2017, 12:34:50 AM »
I got a call last night, (On my JT mobile number), at 17:40HRS from, 0131-561-4532, claiming that they were carrying out a MORI poll on behalf of The States of Jersey.
I asked the guy which department and he said he didn,t know.
Like most folk would, I simply hung up thinking it was some sort of scam call.
How the heck was this supposed to gather any real information on public opinion?
« Last Edit: May 20, 2017, 12:44:37 AM by Fritz »

Offline Jerry Gosselin

« Reply #349 on: May 20, 2017, 05:03:43 AM »
You were lucky to get the call Fritz. As I pointed out in my previous post, it seems that people like me and thousands of others are probably automatically excluded from these phone surveys. Maybe they'll try to call you back if that many hung up the first time. It would be interesting to know whether they're asking the respondents for details of their occupation and perhaps the approximate household income. Without this information they can't even attempt to get a representative cross-section of the community so don't be surprised or offended if they ask. They should ask for your approximate age and gender as well.

http://www.channel103.com/phone-poll-on-voting-changes/

Online Fritz

« Reply #350 on: May 20, 2017, 10:03:09 PM »
In an Island as small as this, there should be no need for MORI polls, to gauge public opinion on any subject.
All, "The powers that be", should have to do is get out and about with their ears open for a week or so.
Then again, that would probably be too cheap and common for all our ,"Impotent", high flyers.

Guy from Barbados walking down street wearing top-hat and tails and carrying a cane is stopped by his mate and is asked, "Whats with the fancy threads brother?"
"I just been to see my docta,and he says I,m impotent so I,m goddamme gonna look impotent, "  ;)