Author Topic: States of Jersey dumps £45k sculpture in a field  (Read 4981 times)

Offline danrok

States of Jersey dumps £45k sculpture in a field
« on: September 02, 2011, 02:24:17 AM »
It beggars belief!  In the UK, yobs dump stolen cars in fields.  Here the government dumps expensive bronze sculptures in the countryside:
http://www.thisisjersey.com/2011/09/01/unhappy-landing-for-the-airports-migrating-geese/

It is a monument to the way they just waste cash.

Online boatyboy

Re: States of Jersey dumps £45k sculpture in a field
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2011, 10:18:15 PM »

Completely agree danrock.

Had this statue become surplice to requirements by a private company or person, it would have been sold off. There are some fantastic gardens in Jersey and with it's rural theme of flying Geese, would be a welcome addition and a lot more interesting than a granite cider press.

States of Jersey dump it in a field and if it gets vandalised who cares ?

This brought back in my memory the excellent letter that underlines the Governments attitude and competence in spending taxpayers money.

ACHIEVING A BALANCE

Comment by Roger Bale.

Offered to readers of planetjersey with Roger Bales full permission.

THERE are only three things the States can do which people individually, collectively, corporately or co-operatively cannot do better themselves.
These are defence (ie the protection of our borders, including island sea defences); Law and order (including courts and prisons); and the enactment of legislation to ensure fair play.

The States have the legal right to raise taxation and Jersey residents have a legal obligation to pay these tax demands. But in recent years the States have turned Parkinson's Law (Expenditure rises to meet income available) on it's head, by ever increasing tax demands to cover expenditure commitments which are proposed, but not limited to income. The more money the States sector absorbs the greater the taxation required to fund it.

MORE PUBLIC MONEY PUT AT RISK………………Click on link to read full article.

http://planetjersey.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,980.msg12493.html#msg12493

Offline Fritz

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2011, 01:37:03 AM »
If they cant find somewhere to put the sculpture, I,ll have it for my garden.

Offline danrok

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2011, 05:29:15 AM »
It would probably be better off in your garden.

They want to put it in the middle of the airport roundabout.  I think it is too small, for that location, and most people who pass there are in cars, so won't really see it.

They should put it somewhere appropriate, or simply sell it.

Online boatyboy

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2011, 05:08:06 PM »
The airport management are able to waste £800,000 sorting out air traffic space and systems, when the local air traffic controllers could have done the job as on a previous occasion as part of their normal working week. Its obviously not about the surplus of non- job managers and staff at the airport or corruption that has seen one contractor jailed and now another investigation by Auditor General and forensic accountants.

It's all about  " der management " trying to find a sponsor ?

In all this mayhem, the public's attention has been drawn to the fact that a statue costing taxpayers  £45,000 has been dumped in a field under orders by airport management.

Assistant Economic Development Minister and Assistant Chief Minister nice but not very bright Senator Paul Routier is wheeled out to be the puppet spokesman for the out of control Jersey Airport Administration yet again in the article below. A smart move by Minister Maclean standing behind Senator Routier as Routier is not up for re-election.

You will appreciate that the TTS have a fleet of lorries some with a wonderful selection of heavy duty lifting equipment but ( smile for the camera)  Senator Routier tells us its going to cost £9,000, obviously a made up amount, to move ( which the article then says it going to moved anyway) and add some lighting. There is obviously a shortage of States employee's to do the odd bit of maintenance because this has to be factored in.

I need say little else as a posting on their blog by jo sums up my view.

Part of the article.

CTV.

Assistant Minister for Economic Development, Senator Paul Routier, said: "It has always been the intention of Jersey Airport, and continues to be so, that the mallard sculpture, formerly sited in the airside departures lounge, be relocated to an area in which it can continue to be viewed and enjoyed by members of the public.

"At present we are appealing for anyone wishing to sponsor its relocation, which will cost in the region of £9k including lighting and maintenance. Once this has been secured then we will proceed with the relocation and until this time the sculpture will be stored in a new secure location, provided by Transport and Technical Services."

Posted By: Jo st Helier on 02-Sep-2011

So, is this Macleans 'get out clause' of having to do anything about reinstating the Sculpture. I think it's an insult asking for funding, considering the huge amounts of monies lost due to incompetence of several Politicians and senior civil servants. Surely then, £9,000 is a drop in the ocean ( how much have been expenses for various 'fact finding' missions)

http://www.channelonline.tv/channelonline_jerseynews/DisplayArticle.asp?ID=495919

INVESTIGATING accountants have been called in to review allegations of mishandled Airport contracts.

http://www.thisisjersey.com/2011/07/21/airport-deals-under-investigation/

BB
« Last Edit: September 04, 2011, 05:15:41 PM by boatyboy »

Offline Calimachon

• http://www.amnesty.org.uk/
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2011, 11:06:00 PM »
I think they should permanently loan it to the Parish of St Helier, if the Parish want it of course.  It could be placed in front of their Parish Hall.  Birds are popular in that area.  I have no idea  how much it would cost to place it where the old boat used to lie. 

Far better than it lying in a field somewhere!

Cali :)

TOMORROW (Noun) = A mystical land where 99% of all human productivity, motivation an achievement is stored

Offline Fritz

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2011, 11:13:06 PM »
I,ll have it for my garden. I,ll pay to have it transported and folk can come and see it any time they want.

"Simples".

Offline Chevalier Blanc

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2011, 01:13:12 AM »
Since TTS has taken over the Harbour Works things have really gone pear shaped!
Firstly they laid a new rail for the port cranes and now you need a steering wheel to travel the crane because the rail lines are so far out. Image a train trying to travel on rails that were not in line with each other and see how that train would not travel.
Secondly the tug went out to change a buoy and while doing the job hit the rocks that the buoy was meant to warn boats about. I hear that they have 2 skippers who are Irish on 6 months or so contract and they have no local knowledge, so what the hell is going on? Under the Harbours Works everything worked fairly smoothly until TTS got involved and remember the managers from TTS have no experience with the working of the Harbours.
I always believed that you had to have the Pass for Local Waters to operate a working boat.

Offline Chevalier Blanc

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2011, 11:59:14 PM »
The answer for the geese is in the JEP tonight ,outside St.Brelade's Parish Hall.

Offline Calimachon

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2011, 03:39:55 PM »
Thanks for that I don't read the rag!

Cali
TOMORROW (Noun) = A mystical land where 99% of all human productivity, motivation an achievement is stored

Online boatyboy

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2011, 04:09:20 PM »
Chairman of the Public Sculpture Trust voices his concerns.

A PLAN to ask the public for £9,000 to rehome a popular sculpture has been described as ‘ridiculous’ by the chairman of Jersey’s Public Sculpture Trust.

The sculpture, Decollage, which depicts a team of ducks taking off and cost £45,000, once stood in the departure lounge at the Airport. It was taken away in 2009 when the lounge was refurbished and has never been returned.

Since then it has failed to find a new home and was recently discovered in a field in St John by JEP reader Alan Holmes. Ray Banks, the chairman of the Public Sculpture Trust, spoke out after Assistant Economic Development Minister Paul Routier revealed the department’s plan to go ‘cap in hand’ to the public.

Economic Development have said that the sculpture will be relocated on the roundabout outside the Airport but that £9,000 is needed for the project. Mr Banks said he was shocked by the department’s request for public donations.

http://www.thisisjersey.com/2011/09/06/what-a-cheek/

Well said Mr Banks, the roundabout is the wrong place and asking the public to put their hands in their pockets' to come up with £9,000 is taking the proverbial.

Offline Calimachon

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2011, 05:49:52 PM »
The answer for the geese is in the JEP tonight ,outside St.Brelade's Parish Hall.

Ahem!  Tell me off for nit-picking but I think they are ducks.

Cali :) :)

ole razzy

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2011, 05:01:02 AM »
I,ll have it for my garden. I,ll pay to have it transported and folk can come and see it any time they want.

"Simples".

A generous offer. Which should be applauded. Let me be the first guest. Jersey cream teas would be lovely.

Watching Ray Banks go at Paul Routier is like watching an ass slapping cometition on Hungarian tv.

Offline Dundee

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2011, 05:37:28 AM »
Some migration history from Hansard:

4.11   The Deputy of Grouville:

On 19th July this year I asked a question about the sculpture known as Flight that used to be situated at the airport.  I asked it of the Minister for Economic Development.  I was alarmed to hear he had been grateful to the Minister for Health who had agreed to house it in a poky courtyard at the hospital.  I am given to understand that the Chief Minister knows of the updated position in this regard; could he enlighten us, please?

Senator T.A. Le Sueur:

I certainly know something of the updated position in that I have had discussions with the Assistant Minister for Economic Development responsible for the airport, with a view to reinstating that sculpture at some location in the airport perimeter.  At this stage I believe that discussions are still ongoing with the Airport Authority as to the most suitable location for this to take place but I can confirm that there is significant progress in reinstating that sculpture at some place in the airport perimeter.

2.1     Deputy P.J. Rondel of St. Johnof the Minister for Economic Development regarding the movement of the sculpture from the Airport Departures Hall:

I apologise to Members for jumping the queue on this one, but it is outside of my control.  Can the Minister give details of the number of times the sculpture called “Flight” has been moved, giving each location, plus the time and cost for each move; would he also give details of its final location or resting place and state on whose instructions the sculpture was moved and clarify whether any new Shadow Board has been involved in this issue in any way?”
Senator A.J.H. Maclean (The Minister for Economic Development):

As part of the overall redevelopment plan of the airside departures hall, the “Flight” sculpture had to be removed to increase the concourse area.  Since this time it has been kept in 3 secure storage areas; originally at the airport, subsequently a storage area belonging to Health and Social Services and currently one provided by Transport and Technical Services.  The sculpture was moved with minimum inconvenience and at no direct financial cost to the airport to date.  It has always been the intention of Jersey Airport that the sculpture be moved to an area where it can continue to be enjoyed by members of the public.  We are therefore looking at alternative public locations around the airport where the sculpture can be sited.  One of the options includes the public roundabout in front of the airport, which Members may have seen mentioned recently in the local media.  Jersey Airport are in discussions with officers from Transport and Technical Services who maintain this public roundabout, as well as the Parish of St. Helier, to ascertain the feasibility of moving the sculpture to this location and what the likely relocation and future maintenance costs will be.  The decisions on the movement were the airport management’s.  Members of the Shadow Board are aware of this initiative, but this is an operational matter and is not something of the Shadow Board have been asked to consider.  Thank you, Sir.
2.1.1  The Deputy of St. John:

I am taken aback by the Minister’s comments about no direct cost to date.  That cannot be the case.  Somebody will have been paid on a number of occasions to move this particular structure.  Therefore, would the Minister tell us who, which department, and therefore how much labour was involved in the moves?  A States department will have been responsible for moving it and therefore there must be a cost in labour.

Senator A.J.H. Maclean:

All I can tell the Deputy is that to date the airport has not been invoiced for any charges in relation to the removal or storage of this particular item.  Indeed there may well and I am sure there will be costs once a final resting place is found for it.  Indeed those particular costs are yet to be finalised, but they will be available and I am happy to publish them at a later date when they are known.

The Bailiff:

I will come back to you, Deputy.  Deputy Grouville?
2.1.2  Deputy C.F. Labey of Grouville:

The Minister will recall that I have asked several questions about this particular sculpture, because I have been contacted by parishioners of mine.  Does the Minister not feel that it is an awful shame that it was originally located in water and there was a wishing well ... it was used as a wishing well at the airport and collected quite a lot of funds for charity.  Could he not look to reposition it in a similar situation in the future?

Senator A.J.H. Maclean:

I do understand the Deputy’s concerns and in many respects I share them.  The commercial realities were that we had to move it from its original very central location for the redevelopment plans of effectively a £4.5 million redevelopment of the retail area, which has been very successful and increase average spend per passenger by 22 per cent, so commercially it was the right decision.  As far as finding another location within the airport itself, a number have been considered, but it is a very, very large item and the view is that the central roundabout is the best place for it.  The only other point I would mention, in terms of raising of charitable funds, there are various boxes and events that airport does carry out throughout the year and will continue to do so in order to give charities an opportunity to raise funds through access to the airport.
2.1.3  Deputy M. Tadier of St. Brelade:

I am concerned that the Minister seems to have changed his answer to the Deputy of St. John.  Initially we were told that there were no direct financial cost to the airport and then a moment later we were told that there will be costs to the airport and that they simply had not been invoiced yet.  Could the Minister confirm which is the case and why we were initially told that there were no direct financial costs, when it seems that once the invoices come in there will be direct financial costs to the airport?

Senator A.J.H. Maclean:

No, what I said was there are no direct financial costs that have been invoiced to the airport at this stage.  That was in direct response to the question.  I further stated that there will be a cost at some point once the final location of the sculpture is decided upon and in fact there have been some very constructive discussions with the Parish of St. Peter and Transport and Technical Services in order to find a suitable resting place and indeed to mitigate some of those costs that may well be shared between other parties, indeed sponsorship is also an option that is being considered.  The Constable of St. Peter has been very helpful in this particular area.  I have already had discussions with him.  So that will mitigate some of the potential costs that will be considered.
2.1.4  Deputy M. Tadier:

To clarify, the final answer then is that there will be direct financial costs to the airport, which is not what seemed to be being conveyed in the initial answer given by the Minister.

Senator A.J.H. Maclean:

I just repeat the question again.  I answered directly the Deputy of St. John’s question: “Has there been any cost to date?”  The answer is: “No.”  “Will there be some future costs?”  “Yes, there are likely to be some future costs.  Some of those will be mitigated, we hope, by sponsorship and in co-operation with other parties such as the Parish of St. Peter.”

ole razzy

« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2011, 08:11:40 PM »
Setting aside the cost of the sculpture, the fact that it has been dumped in a field and left to rust, that the economic development minister cant be arsed to fork out £9,000 to have the work relocated on a totally unsuitable location and the fact that the sculture was paid for with tax payers money - so it belongs to us, I have to ask the very simple question, "Is this work of art actually any good?".

For my part I think its typical of the sort of naff/twee/faux sentimental trite that is passed off as public art in Jersey. I mean  duck's doing a loop in a circle? I thought Stan and Hilda Ogden's muriel was the last time we had a good snigger at this sort of tosh. I say auction it and use the money to commission 3 new works by local artists who are more interested in making a relevant statement about the society in which they live and in a context that is relevant. Better that then wasting another 9 grand re-erecting some overpriced garden ornament.

Oh yeah and where is the Education, Sport and Culture department in all of this? There was a cultural strategy written that wa ssupposed to deal with all this. Snigger.