Author Topic: St. Aubins Harbour.  (Read 3882 times)

Offline Chevalier Blanc

St. Aubins Harbour.
« on: February 19, 2010, 10:32:39 PM »
The talk of repairing the North arm of St.Aubins Harbour is a bit worrying because if they point or the term used last time ( scallop ) in between the stones it will collapse because the wall are made that the sea water can pass through the wall otherwise pressure is formed inside the wall and then blows out with the wall totally collapsing. This is what happened to St. Aubins Fort back in the 70's when they decided to scallop between the stones and after completing the Fort they went on to start the South Arm of the Harbour, just as they start the Fort Arm collapsed leaving the whole of the middle arm all over the sand and it took the whole of 18 months to repair by Regal. I know this because my department had 2 mobile cranes at the time and one of them stayed out at the fort for 18 months repairing the arm.
So i truly hope that the lesson has been learnt not to point or scallop the Harbour walls. Mind you if it did collapse what a brilliant way to bring in reclaiming land for parking which they have been trying to do for decades.
Now there is a point, how can you reclaim land that was never there in the first place. I mean to reclaim something means that it must have been there before it was taken away.

Offline Dundee

Re: St. Aubins Harbour.
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2010, 11:35:50 PM »
Interesting in that no one appears to have agreed the new plans other than Jersey Harbours, the harbour is a listed building. It would appear Harbours are exempt from obligations that the general public have to adhere to at great expense.

I suppose one could say the Island is claiming the land from the Crown estate as we lease the foreshore from it for the sum of £4,500 pa. "to ensure the protection and preservation of the environment and of the ecology both of the coast of the island and of each part of the entire archipelago of the Bailiwick." It agrees that the foreshore should be maintained and preserved for all to enjoy.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2010, 11:37:50 PM by Dundee »

Offline Dylan

• HELP!
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2010, 11:59:37 PM »
The talk of repairing the North arm of St.Aubins Harbour is a bit worrying because if they point or the term used last time ( scallop ) in between the stones it will collapse because the wall are made that the sea water can pass through the wall otherwise pressure is formed inside the wall and then blows out with the wall totally collapsing. This is what happened to St. Aubins Fort back in the 70's when they decided to scallop between the stones and after completing the Fort they went on to start the South Arm of the Harbour, just as they start the Fort Arm collapsed leaving the whole of the middle arm all over the sand and it took the whole of 18 months to repair by Regal. I know this because my department had 2 mobile cranes at the time and one of them stayed out at the fort for 18 months repairing the arm.
So i truly hope that the lesson has been learnt not to point or scallop the Harbour walls. Mind you if it did collapse what a brilliant way to bring in reclaiming land for parking which they have been trying to do for decades.
Now there is a point, how can you reclaim land that was never there in the first place. I mean to reclaim something means that it must have been there before it was taken away.

Yup, that is the hole point (groan, the hole being the only thing other than Sparty's ego that the more you take away from, the bigger it gets). The southern arm on St Aubin's harbour had a sodding great tunnel right through it last time I looked! Is this what they are blocking up? I hope not. CB you obviously work for Harbours, you should know this!
!dereggub si draobyek ym kniht I

rogueelement

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2010, 02:03:56 AM »
Please !please! I can only stand so much adoration!
The hole you refer to is a tunnel going East , have you never driven through it?

Offline Dundee

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2010, 02:22:04 AM »
There's life Jim but not as we know it  ;D

Offline Chevalier Blanc

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2010, 05:25:51 AM »
The hole in the South Arm was put there when the harbour arm was made. Something our forefathers knew about that today's engineers have forgotten or never learnt. I believe the hole is there to help stopping the silt from building up. As a kid i used to swim through it until one day i got halfway through and it was blocked, i just managed to turn around and get back was no air left in me. I never did it again. I did work for the harbours for 37 years and i can tell you now that there is nobody left who knows or understands what or how the harbour equipment should be maintained because all the people who knew have gone and i am not blowing my trumpet it is just the truth. The things the old boys knew years ago have been forgotten and the new boys just cannot think what or why things were done or made in a certain way. All that basic knowledge has gone. I believe that when the new Boat House was built they digged a huge hole and lined it with concrete, now the sea water used to ebb and flow through the walls of the harbour but with this huge area that the water cannot go through it has put more pressure on the rest of the wall in different ways and as a result the middle of the arm has been slowly washed away leaving the crack that has developed over the time that the Boat House was under construction. That is just my opinion.

Offline man in the street

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2010, 11:04:44 PM »
quite true cb, we have forgotten a lot of things, our old breakwaters have stood the test of time and tide, when you look at greve de le lecq, and remember it at full size,and the poor attempts to repair it.

Offline Fritz

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2010, 11:45:25 PM »
If they needed repairing, I,d hazard a guess that they had not stood the tests of time and tide?

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2010, 12:03:48 AM »
they must be getting on for 150 years or more.
 apart from bunkers and forts what else lasts?

Offline Fritz

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2010, 12:47:05 AM »
Pyramids.

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2010, 01:42:42 AM »
dolmens

Offline Dundee

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2010, 02:35:55 AM »
The foundation stones of Greve and Bonne Nuit were laid at the same time in 1871, Imrie Bell was the engineer at Greve he also went to work on Corbiere the first concrete build of its type, I think Greve collapsed a few years after I think around 1876. Bonne Nuit was built by Le Gros, a family of builders that also rebuilt the hospital after a fire, Victoria and Albert piers, Creux harbour, and worked on St Peter Port but were kicked off the job because they were thought not to be quick enough. You will see the initials of Tom Charles Le Gros on the arch of the old JFTU building on the Esplanade, this was the works yard, Tom lived in Peirson Road, they used the quarry at the old Inn on the Park as infill for the Albert pier.

The problem at St Aubin was most likely caused by over enthusiastic dredging, the need to undertake the current work is the wish to dredge again although this is not said officially. Gorey also has holes filled in. Origianally St Aubin had wooden supports along its length these can be seen on a print of Maria Spelterini that I have of her tight rope walking along the inner harbour, this and other events were laid on to encourage people to use the railway and frequent St Aubin.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maria_Spelterini
« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 02:39:18 AM by Dundee »

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2010, 04:01:05 AM »
thanks for the history , dundee, corbiere , was cutting edge , greve as i remember it fell down in the70's,
 most of what we build these days, will be in the bin . i think.
iconic buildings, my left foot.

Offline Chevalier Blanc

« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2010, 06:21:09 PM »
The wooden supports were for the ships to moor against and not the rough stone. All of ST.Helier's old harbours are the same. You can see where the wood piles where attached to the walls by the square holes that are empty now. Today they use large round rubber tubes hanging down the side of the quays to prevent damage to ships along side of the quays.
Take a look at the concrete path to St.Aubin's Fort and you will see that the tide uncovers before the concrete path as a way to getting to the fort. With all the reclaiming land that has gone on over the years it has changed the way the tide comes and goes through St.Aubin's Bay and sand as built up to the left of the concrete path to the fort which one users to get to the fort. THe concrete path was built where the tide uncovers first but today it uncovers last. Progress?

« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2010, 08:17:57 PM »
i was working in a house that i have not been going to for a couple of years, it has a fine veiw of the fort.
i now know that my eyes were not playing tricks on me, as i could see the growth of the sand bar.
 its much bigger than a couple of years ago.