Author Topic: Contribution to the UK?  (Read 2331 times)

Offline Dundee

Contribution to the UK?
« on: February 07, 2010, 02:38:52 AM »
I suggest that the funding for the TA which is our defence contribution is abandoned unless the health agreement is reinstated, or the money paid for the TA put into a health insurance scheme that would partly cover those Islanders in the UK.

I am sure if such a thing was suggested to the UK defence Ministry they might support the health agreement being replaced.  ;D

We could then either sell or use the land that the TA use, perhaps a land swap with Plemont?

Online Fritz

Re: Contribution to the UK?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2010, 03:32:43 AM »
I think the T.A. should be re-located to England. The Three bars could then be used to turn a profit if opened to the general public.

Offline man in the street

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2010, 11:45:51 PM »
good idea , dundee, do you know how much we the taxpayer give them?
 if i am correct the ta was created, shortly after some said we had money coming out of our ears.

Offline Chevalier Blanc

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2010, 06:40:46 PM »
The TA started after Jersey gave £5,000,000 to the Falklands Islands after the war to rebuilt there town. There is a housing estate named after Jersey.
So the British Government jumped up and asked that we should give them so much money for defending these Islands in the future. One idea was to give the British 2% of our net money each year but instead the States decideded to have a TA Unit in Jersey and that was accepted and the yearly amount of money spent on the TA would be half a million pound. Now what is it costing ? Somewhere in the 6 million.?

ole razzy

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2010, 06:48:10 PM »
I think the T.A. should be re-located to England. The Three bars could then be used to turn a profit if opened to the general public.

Spot on. I didnt know there were three bars up there! Thought there was one for 'officers' and another for 'the men'. What's the third one for Fritz? Or dare I not ask?

rogueelement

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2010, 06:53:36 PM »
NCO,s

ole razzy

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2010, 07:02:06 PM »
Gosh - they really do know how to look after themselves up there when not training for armed combat on the frozen wastelands of Les Landes.

Offline Dylan

• HELP!
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2010, 07:47:06 PM »
Maybe it's about time that the convergence of Jersey's status with one foot in and one foot out of Europe, should shift a bit towards in. Although the unknown true position is a bit resemblant of the hokey cokey, it would mean that we are on firmer ground with the donation to UK for keeping us protected, in reality, if anything happened to Jersey such as an al quaieda invasion, which judging by the harrassment of normal people entering the USA is an imminent event, (did I really say that? normal people trying to enter the USA??), is is certain that the UN, not once Great Britain, will be our defenders. You never know, the Germans may even be back but hoping for the winning side this time.
This having been said, we would be able to get freer grants from Europe and having a handle on European monies may be one of the ones required to get us out of the puree we currently find ourselves in, rather than obsequious donations to the step-mother state.

The alternative is to make conscription part of the mandate of entry into our society and pack em off to war to defend us. If that's not a contribution........... usual postcard please!
!dereggub si draobyek ym kniht I

Offline Chevalier Blanc

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2010, 10:54:31 PM »
Well seeing how much work the germans got through in 5 years although it was done with slave labour ( there again if the private sector took over the States jobs and the wage that they would pay and conditions it would again be slave labour ) their families would all come over for there holidays and we would have our tourists back. You also mention the EU Money for hand outs, so i think you may be on to something there but i would not mention it if i were you cause you might wake up in an emergency hospital theatre.