Author Topic: The Cultural Strategy 2005  (Read 24767 times)

Offline Dylan

• HELP!
Re: The Cultural Strategy 2005
« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2010, 11:05:10 PM »
Perhaps you're right, maybe the way forward is to hold an arts festival, arranged for by of course nobody who has anything to do with SOJ. This way, there could be a modicum of enterprise bewitched by a rationale of thinking. In fact as I type, the words are just flooding in, more anthropomorphism please! hallucinageania, youre out! Maybe we could even entice one of our retired arts experts out of hiding (coo coo are you there Mikey?) golly that everyday bicycle looks really knackered!! Oh , I'm sorry! I see now, yes of course it really IS a work of art!!
!dereggub si draobyek ym kniht I

ole razzy

« Reply #31 on: January 04, 2010, 11:17:46 PM »
I spotted Mikey in Grande Marche just before Christmas. Same check out as when Sarah Ferguson gave me a booty call funnily enough! What is it with politicians and checkout number 7? Man did he look out of shape. His facial features were all puffy and red. His almost full length cronbie dragged along the floor and concealed a scuffed pair of brogues from shoe express. Gone are the days of the pigeon on speed. This guy looks unwell an could certainly do with some R&R at the expense of The Arts in Healthcare Trust.

And I went to the panto at the Arts Centre and guess what, Terry Le Main did a little cameo. Popping up on stage to drag a brow beaten Richard Kimble back from London. The crowd laughed, although I'm certain it was more through a sense of acute embarrasment then anything else. Culture in Jersey? As one erstwhile commentator once put it - seen more culture in my fridge!
« Last Edit: January 04, 2010, 11:24:16 PM by ole razzy »

rogueelement

« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2010, 01:17:13 AM »
Back to basics? What is this? Does this mean we should have more badly painted watercolours of Jersey cows in fields or photographs of the White Hut at sunset? Should we dumb down our musical tastes to include the Barnstormers or Biko Bangs old school reunion nights at the Havana? Should we only have mud wreslting and male strippers at the Opera House and flock to the Battle of Flowers and suspend our utter disbelief at how outdated, kitsh and poorly organised it is? There are other lots of other ways we can express ourselves in a culturally relevant way. After all its 2010 not 1954.

Hardly back to basics sweetie!
Back to skill! I could not draw or paint or produce any form of sculpture to save my life , but I could come up with some smashing conceptual  ,,,er , concepts,,, I am looking at a book by DH Lawrence ,,, sons and lovers,,,, sorry it just haPPENS TO BE THERE A UNDER AN ACER  speaker, i cannot actually see the entire penguin picture , so to me it looks like he is just polishing his , cant really see , but I suppose that is the point, I can conceptualise! I can wonder! is that a cricket bat I see before me?? nah , i think he,s just tossing himself off. Very much as I imagine conceptual artistes do, how lovely for them darlings!

ole razzy

« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2010, 08:15:07 PM »
Sir you are indeed the Brian Sewell of Planet Jersey. So for you its a return to the golden age of hard work and endeavour where artists are locked in their garrets without food or warmth until they can produce something that everybody can admire, recognise and fully understand. If by skill you mean craftsmanlike and adeptness with touch, finesse and panache then my Liam Brady's 'greatest passes' DVD is winging its way to you (there is even a bonus feature you'll love when he's caught on camera getting a slap from a barmaid at the 1974 Arsenal Christmas party). I'll leave it behind the bar for you.

Offline Dylan

• HELP!
« Reply #34 on: January 05, 2010, 10:36:36 PM »
Maybe we've been missing something here, after all, the "puppetry of the Penis" has been re-enacted over and over again by the real live cocks we have in SOJ HQ, possibly each department has been issued with instructions to bring on their own versions! If this isn't the case they've been doing a bloody good job of it.

My Anagran brain tells me that "cultural strategy" is really a clever anagram of "Actual Terry Gluts", perhaps someone is missing the truer (or altruer((!))) artistic implications of this?

Wacha reckon hoss?

Offline Dylan

• HELP!
« Reply #35 on: January 05, 2010, 10:40:46 PM »
Ahhem! Even "Rectally Tat Gurus"

Works rather well dontcha think?

rogueelement

« Reply #36 on: January 06, 2010, 12:39:17 AM »
Sir you are indeed the Brian Sewell of Planet Jersey. So for you its a return to the golden age of hard work and endeavour where artists are locked in their garrets without food or warmth until they can produce something that everybody can admire, recognise and fully understand. If by skill you mean craftsmanlike and adeptness with touch, finesse and panache then my Liam Brady's 'greatest passes' DVD is winging its way to you (there is even a bonus feature you'll love when he's caught on camera getting a slap from a barmaid at the 1974 Arsenal Christmas party). I'll leave it behind the bar for you.

That is exactly what i am talking about Willis!
Talking Penis, whispering Vagina???
whadafeck is that all about?
and.......usually presented by persons who are indifferent to a love of either unless it's their own. Tossers.

Offline Pomme de terre

« Reply #37 on: January 06, 2010, 01:08:11 AM »
I'm very worried about Razzy owning an Arsenal DVD...

rogueelement

« Reply #38 on: January 06, 2010, 01:33:43 AM »
I am very proud of razzy , obviously he understands art , more than i thought.

Offline boatyboy

« Reply #39 on: January 06, 2010, 01:34:27 AM »
Any decent reasonable person would be appalled at the verbal sickness from Sparticus.

Why does a perfectly good forum attract half wits like Sparticus ? probably because in the real world Sparty would have been smacked in the mouth for trying to be a bully ( is he short ) and probably has been several times.

Why are Admin and the mods allowing the dumbing down of the site by idiots ??????

This is exactly what I am talking about Sparticus........................ grow up.

Boatyboy.

Offline Dundee

« Reply #40 on: January 06, 2010, 01:59:58 AM »
Raz
      It is a thankless task being involved on the outskirts of the cultural gurus of the Island, that said some of my comments that were dismissed by Mikey and the dumb blonde, have actually been acted upon in the last year, rather surprisingly considering the stone wall "we know best attitude" by those previously, I guess the economic climate had a bit more to do with this than me. It would appear we now have another "head" in charge with little appreciation of what is actually needed or should be done, not sure why these people take these tasks on if they have no experience in the area.

I did speak to someone else who attended and spoke at the meeting and she thought the speakers all had the benefits of considerable amount of funding either from the EU or lottery funding which is not available to us in the Island. She also thought the discussions were doomed to fail the way it was set up.

Dundee

Offline Dundee

« Reply #41 on: January 06, 2010, 02:09:17 AM »
Any decent reasonable person would be appalled at the verbal sickness from Sparticus.

Why does a perfectly good forum attract half wits like Sparticus ? probably because in the real world Sparty would have been smacked in the mouth for trying to be a bully ( is he short ) and probably has been several times.

Why are Admin and the mods allowing the dumbing down of the site by idiots ??????

This is exactly what I am talking about Sparticus........................ grow up.

Boatyboy.

Culture attracts all sorts BB, that the fellow is a cultural icon in name should show his interest in it, I find nothing wrong with Sparty's posts on this subject much of what he says is true, a lot of modern culture is not worthy of its status, the problem is we have it imposed upon us by those who think they know better but when in all truth they have no idea.

Local examples are Don's steam clock as a colleague of mine said to Don when in some toilets when he say him glance at his watch "does it blow steam also?"

The needle that was commissioned outside of the Island with imported slate, FFS the Island prides itself on its granite.

Dundee

Offline boatyboy

« Reply #42 on: January 06, 2010, 02:21:17 AM »

Dundee there is something not right with your post. It does not add up.

Is this another alias.

BB

Offline man in the street

« Reply #43 on: January 06, 2010, 10:55:18 PM »
the steam clock, the needle, the pile of glass outside the airport. the tidal gauge, can stand as monuments to total blind excess money, and a triumph of frittering and wasting.
 oddly one of the most strange looking objects that , in my eye, that passes for art is the totempoles ?( one by the converted toilet cafe at st aubin) which was from the bank winning the biggest hand out from the british goverment.
 i can only take my hat off to the people who fleesed goverments and banks alike , by selling this rubbish as ," simply this years must have" in the first place .
 and moved on to more victims elsewhere.
 granite hands (corbiere) and the bronze cows (very nice) as for the rest( percentage for art) very mediocore.
 russel flint,  and flints women , now your talking.

Offline Dylan

• HELP!
« Reply #44 on: January 07, 2010, 12:24:27 AM »
Celia Green, who did the original "fairy liquid" ad, was in fact Sir William Russel Flint's most evocative model. My fave thought when I was 15 but alas that was about 35 years ago.
If you want her now, I think you may need a shovel. Necrophilia springs to mind but as we are told, we must be tolerant to majority  groups. Sounds dead boring anyway.

The thing is, as with this little knob Andrew Green, there are politicians who are hell bent on leaving tributes to themselves, Simon The Crow - a statue to the fabulously famous Major Pierson. Famous for what? Being a Bean. Dying on the job ( one of my ambitions actually- I'm therefore not sure why I'm writing this - ( ahem has he just died? Or has he been and gone about 250 years ago?) Graeme Rabet, the proponent of the Fabulously used Lib Square, woops!! did he do anything except spend public money? Nope, he just got us Lib Square. Dear darling Freddy - all the sophistry we see tackily scattered around today!

Now the reality check is to get your noodles going and work out who gave us the rest of the sh!t ( steamclock etc) and see if they are still in office! (coo coo! anyone there??)

This is culture. It is the culture of preservation of that which is precious to us, and the analogy of that which is not.