Author Topic: Sir Philip: Why I refuse to send e-mails to Senator Syvret  (Read 11464 times)

Offline Calimachon

• http://www.amnesty.org.uk/
Re: Sir Philip: Why I refuse to send e-mails to Senator Syvret
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2009, 10:37:54 PM »
One appointed or elected to preside over an organized body of people, such as an assembly or meeting

Durandel I stand corrected.  My vocabulary and knowledge is found to be lacking!

TOMORROW (Noun) = A mystical land where 99% of all human productivity, motivation an achievement is stored

Offline Pomme de terre

« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2009, 10:45:25 PM »
The online report misses three paragraphs from the print edition.

In one of the missing paragraphs, it states that Syvret did attempt to explain his reasons for declining the Bailiff's invitation to a meeting, based on events from 1996 (when he was suspended, as I recall). 

Offline danrok

« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2009, 10:57:17 PM »
Whereas he does preside over the Royal Court, his title is not President of the States.

If he wants to use that word, he should be using a small "p". ;)

He's had poor ethics from the very beginning.  He only got the job of Deputy Bailiff by backstabbing Vernon Tomes.

Offline rico sorda

• locked & loaded lets rock rsx
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2009, 08:24:04 AM »
SSS blog post explains his side and i think it should be linked on this thread the .. The bailiff dug that bangkok pimp out because he had no answer to SSS question .. And we also had the AG saying he new about SSS being arrested if that is so then is a liar again lets forget about being left/right or middle and just look at the issues i think its easy just to dismiss it because SSS name is involved...

The Bailiff & AG seem to be getting caught out is that why Phil is going

rs
one ban away from oblivion rsx

Offline Durendal

« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2009, 08:36:28 AM »
Whereas he does preside over the Royal Court, his title is not President of the States.

If he wants to use that word, he should be using a small "p". ;)

He's had poor ethics from the very beginning.  He only got the job of Deputy Bailiff by backstabbing Vernon Tomes.

Actually no if the definitive article is used then a capital P is justified hence

a president of a bank

The President of Citigroup.

Offline Durendal

« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2009, 08:41:02 AM »

Actually it was the UK Home Office who dismissed Vernon Tomes because of the fact that he was taking too much time delivering judgments which although sound led to a backlog of court cases.

Anyway it was Sir Peter Crill who was the one who did "backstabbing" and his autobiography sets out the reason why he was left with little real choice.

BTW I knew Vernon and liked him but he had a few problems shall we say that made him unsuitable to be head of the Judiciary in the island
« Last Edit: April 29, 2009, 11:27:44 AM by Durendal »

Offline Durendal

« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2009, 09:29:48 AM »
SSS blog post explains his side and i think it should be linked on this thread the .. The bailiff dug that bangkok pimp out because he had no answer to SSS question .. And we also had the AG saying he new about SSS being arrested if that is so then is a liar again lets forget about being left/right or middle and just look at the issues i think its easy just to dismiss it because SSS name is involved...

The Bailiff & AG seem to be getting caught out is that why Phil is going

rs

SSS is being disingenuous on his blog the AG never said he didn’t know about the raid in the past what he said was that he did not instigate the raid and that it was a Police decision.
Totally truthful unlike SSS who now says the AG lied when plainly he did not

Offline King Rollo

« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2009, 09:37:06 AM »
Actually it was the UK Home Office who dismissed Vernon Tomes because of the fact that he was taking too muvh time delivering judgments which although sound led to a backlog of court cases.

Anyway it was Sir Peter Crill who was the one who did "backstabbing" and his autobiography sets out the reasosn why he was left with little real choice.

BTW I knew Vernon and liked him but he had a few problems shall we say that made him unsuitable to be head of the Judiciary in the island

More to do with the backlog of cases from a legal perspective, but Crill did open the door a chink in his memoirs to throw some light on what went on behind closed doors. He made quite a few enemies in his time, but being one of the island elders had a teflon coat and was always open to mocking himself & his position. Of course we only have his word on the matters he commented on, such is life and the book was never printed I believe?

http://www.thisisjersey.com/2005/11/15/explosive-legacy-of-sir-peter/

His comments on Ministerial government were perhaps more enlightening.

Offline Durendal

« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2009, 09:48:52 AM »
More to do with the backlog of cases from a legal perspective, but Crill did open the door a chink in his memoirs to throw some light on what went on behind closed doors. He made quite a few enemies in his time, but being one of the island elders had a teflon coat and was always open to mocking himself & his position. Of course we only have his word on the matters he commented on, such is life and the book was never printed I believe?

http://www.thisisjersey.com/2005/11/15/explosive-legacy-of-sir-peter/

His comments on Ministerial government were perhaps more enlightening.

Sir Peter's book was printed and I have a copy!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Little-Brief-Authority-Memoir/dp/1902918347/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1240994241&sr=8-1

Offline King Rollo

« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2009, 10:04:59 AM »
Any good?  You are right, think it was the initial printers I was thinking about, peculiar bunch that reckoned everyone should pay thirty odd quid for a fancy tooled HB edition, snobs basically. 

ole razzy

« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2009, 10:10:16 AM »
I knew Peter well and he mentioned on several occasions that he felt very bad about the way things turned out for Vernon but Peter really had very little choice when it came down to it. He had offered Vernon several opportunities to clear his case backlog and it hadn't happened. People awaiting trial can't just be left dangling.

The book is a very good Sunday afternoon read. I know I'm looking at things through rose tinted glasses but I think Jersey was a much better place when Crill was Bailiff.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2009, 11:05:24 AM by ole razzy »

Offline Durendal

« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2009, 10:13:43 AM »
I knew Peter well and he mentioned on several occasions that he felt very about the way things turned out for Vernon but Peter really had very little choice when it came down to it. He had offered Vernon several opportunities to clear his case backlog and it hadn't happened. People awaiting trial can't just be left dangling.

The book is a very good Sunday afternoon read. I know I'm looking at things through rose tinted glasses but I think Jersey was a much better place when Crill was Bailiff.

Agree totally and they way he conducted himself when he was dying of Motor Neurone Disease was a lesson to us all.

Offline King Rollo

« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2009, 10:35:23 AM »
Agree totally and they way he conducted himself when he was dying of Motor Neurone Disease was a lesson to us all.

He was very highly thought of here on Alderney too, great sense of humour and was just as happy in the company of the harbour workers, drama club or man on the street as he was with States officials.  The Times as usual, got it spot on.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/obituaries/article585782.ece

mpwpj

« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2009, 10:40:09 AM »
...I think Jersey was a much better place when Crill was Bailiff.
Maybe, but are you implying when he was Bailiff or because he was Bailiff and were things better, or did they seem better?

Offline Dylan

• HELP!
« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2009, 02:41:01 PM »
Maybe, but are you implying when he was Bailiff or because he was Bailiff and were things better, or did they seem better?

I think its pretty bloody obvious what the Razzard means.
Do you know you can tell what type of person you are by the colour of their toothpaste? I bet my ferret cage yours is many colours!
!dereggub si draobyek ym kniht I