Author Topic: Parking fee to rise 20p?  (Read 5455 times)

Offline Dylan

• HELP!
Re: Parking fee to rise 20p?
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2010, 09:25:05 PM »
Dundee,

How would buying a more environmentally friendly vehicle have an effect on the cost of parking?
As it happens at present, the most environmentally friendly vehicle available is the one you've got because the damage done to the earth by constructing a new one is still greater that the pollution your existing one behests.

Gordon
!dereggub si draobyek ym kniht I

Offline Dundee

« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2010, 10:28:26 PM »
Dylan
        It is not something that affects me that much so I am not that well versed in it all, but below is some information from the TTS web site:

Guidelines for Eco-friendly Parking Permit applications
Why has this scheme been introduced?
The purpose of the scheme is to encourage motorists to consider purchasing vehicles that are less harmful to the environment when they next change their vehicle. Having more vehicles with lower emissions will help to maintain the air quality in Jersey. 

Which vehicles qualify for the ECOFriendly Parking Permit?
Any vehicle that has been certified as having a low exhaust emission that produces less than 100 grams of Carbon Dioxide per kilometre, or if the vehicle is a hybrid vehicle less than 120 grams of Carbon Dioxide per kilometre.

What is a hybrid vehicle?
A hybrid vehicle conforming to the scheme is a motor vehicle that uses an electric motor to assist a conventional engine, uses energy from braking to charge its batteries and can drive at times using only the electric motor.

Why were vehicles in band A chosen for the 50% discount?
The scheme is intended to encourage dealers and manufacturers to make very low emission vehicles available, as well as encouraging Islanders to look for vehicles which produce very low emissions. Other Governments and organisations are implementing similar schemes, so more vehicles which conform to the scheme are likely to become available in the future.

Where can I use an ECOFriendly Parking Permit and reduced price Paycards/Season Tickets?
You can use an ECOFriendly Parking Permit and reduced price Paycards/Season Tickets in any of the chargeable Car Parks operated by the Transport and Technical Services Department and also on any of the chargeable on street parking areas in Jersey.

Offline boatyboy

« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2010, 11:15:44 PM »
Very good post Dundee, so we are encouraged to purchasing a new car with less carbon damage, I am all for it however, my point is that mum and Dad work at different times at different places in St Helier, and leave work at different times to pick up the kids, so how much a year extra is this stealth tax going to hurt.

I am reminded that Constable Crowcroft told workers at the town hall that parking would no longer be free and a charge was levied, it is less than using Sandstreet.

There are over three and half thousand parking spaces allocated to States workers. Some would argue rather than hitting the population for increased parking charges ( Car parks building costs are now fully repaid) It  would be fair for States workers to contribute for their parking.

After the public sector final salary, golden pensions debate, this further adds fuel to the argument of a two tier society in Jersey.

Boatyboy.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2010, 01:09:19 AM by boatyboy »

Offline Dylan

• HELP!
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2010, 12:00:18 AM »
Dylan
        It is not something that affects me that much so I am not that well versed in it all, but below is some information from the TTS web site:

Guidelines for Eco-friendly Parking Permit applications
Why has this scheme been introduced?
The purpose of the scheme is to encourage motorists to consider purchasing vehicles that are less harmful to the environment when they next change their vehicle. Having more vehicles with lower emissions will help to maintain the air quality in Jersey. 

Which vehicles qualify for the ECOFriendly Parking Permit?
Any vehicle that has been certified as having a low exhaust emission that produces less than 100 grams of Carbon Dioxide per kilometre, or if the vehicle is a hybrid vehicle less than 120 grams of Carbon Dioxide per kilometre.

What is a hybrid vehicle?
A hybrid vehicle conforming to the scheme is a motor vehicle that uses an electric motor to assist a conventional engine, uses energy from braking to charge its batteries and can drive at times using only the electric motor.

Why were vehicles in band A chosen for the 50% discount?
The scheme is intended to encourage dealers and manufacturers to make very low emission vehicles available, as well as encouraging Islanders to look for vehicles which produce very low emissions. Other Governments and organisations are implementing similar schemes, so more vehicles which conform to the scheme are likely to become available in the future.

Where can I use an ECOFriendly Parking Permit and reduced price Paycards/Season Tickets?
You can use an ECOFriendly Parking Permit and reduced price Paycards/Season Tickets in any of the chargeable Car Parks operated by the Transport and Technical Services Department and also on any of the chargeable on street parking areas in Jersey.

Dundee, How many motors you cruisin roun in?

Offline Dundee

« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2010, 12:22:16 AM »
one car
two bicycles
and an occasional walker

Offline Chevalier Blanc

« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2010, 12:38:54 AM »
Why the rise in parking? Tonight JEP Ozouf has been taking money out of the car parking fund for other things, up to £500,000 on one item and some more on others.
The car parking money is for the up keep of our car parks and for nothing else. Go to show how they fiddle the books and try to keep it under wraps. It says one thing to me and that is "you cannot trust some members of the States in power"
The sooner the bad apples are out of the house the better for all of us. I really hope that ozouf is kicked out next time along with mclean and le main although i have heard he is not standing next time put cohen in that bunch as well.

Offline man in the street

« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2010, 12:58:50 AM »
as per it will the the usual ordinary worker who will feel the pinch, quite true boatboy , mum and dad work, differently, and are on a very poor bus route, so even this unjust price hike, will draw on the family budget.
some of us have to use a car to get about, or a small van for our jobs.
all states workers should pay for parking , someone please tell me how they differ from the rest of us?
if i felt that i could afford a new hybrid car, i would attempt to buy our house first.
talk about digging round looking for ways to, rob peter to pay paul.

rogueelement

« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2010, 01:51:22 AM »
Well if you are a cyclist and do not pay a licence fee or have to purchase Insurance or indeed have to pay any form of parking charges , you will be delighted that another £500,000 of my fecking money is spent on your behalf!
Limp wristed tossers should be forced to wear a number on their back , so that we can score accurately as we run them over.
Just kidding  ;)

Offline Dylan

• HELP!
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2010, 11:42:35 PM »
Well if you are a cyclist and do not pay a licence fee or have to purchase Insurance or indeed have to pay any form of parking charges , you will be delighted that another £500,000 of my fecking money is spent on your behalf!
Limp wristed tossers should be forced to wear a number on their back , so that we can score accurately as we run them over.
Just kidding  ;)

Hey Bro, what number do you want?

Offline Dundee

« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2010, 11:58:02 PM »
I think 200,000 is going to the dumb blonde so as she can get some real men in to build her a cycle track.

Ride on  ;D

Offline Ashley

« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2010, 06:11:56 AM »
Parking costs are mental at the moment.  I certainly wont be getting a season ticket.  I'll park out of town and ride my scooter to the car if I need it.

They can't justify it IMO.

How long till it's 150 a month for parking?  When will anyone ever get any value from it?  For 107 a month I'd want full CCTV plus night watchmen.

And another thing:

I noticed the states decided to rip up the perfectly good granite pavement around Minden Place and replace it with new granite.  You have to ask why they did it and how much did it cost.  It's insane. I've walked past that pavement 4 times a day for years and never noticed anything wrong with it.  I can only imagine they do it to keep people in jobs and keep budgets up.