Author Topic: £1,200,000.00 Jersey Tourism Advert  (Read 19750 times)

Offline Terminator 4

£1,200,000.00 Jersey Tourism Advert
« on: January 08, 2009, 08:59:11 AM »
TOURISM AD GETS AN AIRING

Jersey Tourism's unveiling its one-point-two million pound advertising campaign today.

Around 140 members of the industry are being shown the new TV ads.

They'll be broadcast across the UK throughout this year.

Tourism's David De Cartret says they show the island at its best.

They feature aerial shots of Mont Orgueil and Rozel.

Add the flying banana, you can now make it £1,450,000.00.  It does make you wonder why they are doing this.  We are in a recession that is supposed to be the worse since the 1920's.  Hotels continue to be closed down and they are now having to charge GST this year.  Everybody is saying Jersey is getting too expensive.  Generally, is it really worth it?

Offline danrok

Re: £1,200,000.00 Jersey Tourism Advert
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2009, 03:10:46 PM »
It will take more than some fancy advert, featuring someone with an inappropriate overly posh voice, to fix the tourism problem.

The money would have been better spent locally on services, events, facilities, etc. for tourists.  Make sure that those who do come have a good time, and they will recommended it to others.  That is far more valuable than a TV ad.

Offline Ashley

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2009, 03:32:34 PM »
I disagree.

I've not seen the advert, actually, I think I caught it after something on sky, only briefly.  Was pleased to see it though.  AFAIC I think it's the best time to start pushing Jersey as a brand.   The pound is so weak against the Euro that European travel would be money down the drain. 
To british people who wish to travel, but not very far, Jersey could be perfectly placed to take advantage of the pathetic FX rates going around.

The island looks fantastic on the ad and regardless of what people over here thing, people on the mainland actually still consider Jersey to be a cheap place to visit.  The drink is still a bit cheaper, as is some of the dinning. 

On top of that the island still has a resposibility to the tourism industry to promote its self.  I would say, as an effort, this is a pretty shrewd one.  Just a shame that there's bugger all to do once the suckers get here.  I just hope they like sand.

Offline danrok

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2009, 11:12:19 PM »
I disagree.

I've not seen the advert, actually, I think I caught it after something on sky, only briefly.  Was pleased to see it though.  AFAIC I think it's the best time to start pushing Jersey as a brand.   The pound is so weak against the Euro that European travel would be money down the drain. 
To british people who wish to travel, but not very far, Jersey could be perfectly placed to take advantage of the pathetic FX rates going around.

The Pound is gaining on the Euro this week:
http://finance.yahoo.com/q/bc?s=GBPEUR=X&t=5d&l=on&z=m&q=l&c=

No one knows what the exchange rate will be come the summer, so it isn't possible to plan a holiday based on that alone.

The island looks fantastic on the ad and regardless of what people over here thing, people on the mainland actually still consider Jersey to be a cheap place to visit.  The drink is still a bit cheaper, as is some of the dinning. 

On top of that the island still has a resposibility to the tourism industry to promote its self.  I would say, as an effort, this is a pretty shrewd one.  Just a shame that there's bugger all to do once the suckers get here.  I just hope they like sand.

So, you would be happy for holiday makers to be taken for a ride?

And, exactly who thinks Jersey is a cheap place to visit?  Where are you getting this information from?

Offline Jerseyite

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2009, 11:28:24 PM »
Jersey looks fabulous on the advert and of course there will always be someone suckered in by a beautiful looking island holiday advert, but I personally wouldn't recommend anyone to holiday here at the moment, especially if they're planning to come as a family.  It's not good value, offers the little to do once they get here and what little there is to do, is primarily good weather dependant....Something that cannot be guaranteed.

My partner visited York last summer and informs me that a lot of the pubs he went in were charging just £1.00 a pint and dining out over there was a lot cheaper too, so I don't know which people on the mainland consider Jersey to be cheaper Ashley, perhaps you could enlighten us?

Offline Jsysco

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2009, 01:16:43 AM »
They can advertise Jersey as a tourist destination till the cows come home, quite literally, but until it becomes cheaper to travel to the island as a visitor, it won't help at all.
I'm a postgrad student in the UK, to all intents and purposes I now live in there, so find travelling back home extrememly expensive. However, flying from the UK and given a choice of airports to fly from, I can visit places with a far more interesting cultural background, a more pleasant climate, a larger shopping market or even all three of these for cheaper than I can fly to Jersey. Unless I have family ties (which I do) why should I visit Jersey?

I really think that if Jersey is to maintain itself as a tourist destination it needs to focus on ensuring that it has as many links to the UK as possible. Recently, many airlines have been putting a stop to their routes to Jersey. Most notably, Thomson no longer fly to Coventry (a portacabin with a landing strip) and Easyjet have shut down their route between Luton and Jersey - I use this service fairly regularly and have not once been on a flight that was less than 80-90% full, yet Easyjet have pulled out to allow flybe to replace them with a three times a week service (useless as far as i'm concerned). So there is effectively no route to any airport north of London unless you want to fly to East Midlands.

This is before I even think about anything other than air travel (Condor have a monopoly and could if they wanted charge millions each way,  so is it even worth considering?).

I'd probably be more happy if the States had spent that £1.2m on subsiding (further?????) flights into the island - people know it exists and that the countryside (until dandara gets hold of it) is nice, why bother trying to compete in an advertising war with destinations that are much warmer and much cheaper, especially in this time of "economic crisis"!
« Last Edit: January 09, 2009, 01:27:39 AM by Jsysco »

Offline Jsysco

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2009, 01:25:35 AM »
I disagree.

Real people on the mainland consider Jersey to be full of rich people and a very expensive place to visit - sorry to burst your bubble.

Offline Ashley

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2009, 09:40:15 AM »
Thank you for caring for my bubble. Luckily for me it's a pretty resilient chap.

I'm from the mainland and so are half my family who come over here every so often.  They appreciate that there is a lot of rich people over here. They've never met any though. They have, however, seen the chav peasants that drag themselves up and down the high street of a weekend, and they leave a much longer lasting impression than anything they saw on Bergerac 20 years ago.

Of course getting here can appear quite expensive when you price it up against a week in some toilet in spain with gtee'd 28 degrees every day.  You're always going to find something dirt cheap if you dig hard enough and use a big enough spade. It's not necessarily comparing like with like though is it?

I've friends how travel here regularly from Birmingham and they now pay about 50 quid for their flights here and back including taxes. That's not bad. I've paid more than that for a taxi to and from the airport before.  They can come over here for a long weekend and spend less than they would on a big weekend out on the mainland. That's including the cost of the flight.

Offline !CaveMan

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2009, 10:21:07 AM »
I still think they sould put their front desk/office back in Liberation Square where the visitors can find them, instead of hiding around the corner from view.

Chief Minister

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2009, 10:30:13 AM »
They should close it down full stop.

Offline Ashley

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2009, 01:31:26 PM »
The Pound is gaining on the Euro this week:
http://finance.yahoo.com/q/bc?s=GBPEUR=X&t=5d&l=on&z=m&q=l&c=

No one knows what the exchange rate will be come the summer, so it isn't possible to plan a holiday based on that alone.

So, you would be happy for holiday makers to be taken for a ride?

And, exactly who thinks Jersey is a cheap place to visit?  Where are you getting this information from?

Missed this, somehow.

The pound has slightly increased in value in the last few days.  1.1 is still ridiculously bad.  1.5 would attractive.  And your comment regarding not being able to plan a holiday based on the value of the pound is redundant as people do it all the time.  It's a major factor that people consider when they make their holiday plans.  If you take that and add it to the fact that the pound has been on a general downward slope for the last 6 months, you can deduce that European travel may not be such a decent prospect right now, or for the foreseeable future.

I have explained in a separate post who I know considers Jersey cheaper.

Would I be happy for holiday makers to be taken for a ride?  My comments were slightly tongue in cheek.  I love Jersey, there's not a lot to do but it's generally what you make it.  The Zoo, beaches, castles, other places of interest, restaurants and bars, in my opinion, make for a perfectly acceptable holiday experience.  There could always be more though. . . .

Hopefully I've not anything too ambiguous there for you to work with :)
« Last Edit: January 09, 2009, 01:35:04 PM by Ashley »

Offline danrok

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2009, 02:44:37 PM »
"And your comment regarding not being able to plan a holiday based on the value of the pound is redundant as people do it all the time.  It's a major factor that people consider when they make their holiday plans."

People?  What people?

We can't just guess as to what millions of people are doing and thinking right now.

I can only tell you what I think.  ;)

Offline Ashley

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2009, 03:11:08 PM »
People?  What people?

We can't just guess as to what millions of people are doing and thinking right now.

I can only tell you what I think.  ;)

People, as in people who are looking to book a holiday.  Only the least sophisticated of traveller would not take into consideration the exchange rate when looking into a holiday. 

Offline boatyboy

« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2009, 03:37:00 PM »

Just got back from a cheapy break. In my opinion the exchange rate matters enormously. The trips we were offered at 50 euros where the normal type outings, for a family of 4 that is 200 pounds. The cheapest was a shopping trip priced at 25 euros each, Thats just a coach ride by the way.

Many of the old school Jersey Government,have wasted millions, Is tourism a waste of time ? put  another way, we want and need diversity, and when they try and take advantage of problems in the euro zone, some slam them for it.

Their has never been a better time for the tourist industry of the island to pull together and get some income. Imagine loads of people in shops, restaurants, cafes and bars helping those that do not work for the states or in finance make a living.

Stop moaning play the market, England is marketing itself and understands the benefits of an expensive euro. Go for it Jersey.

Boatyboy.   

Offline danrok

« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2009, 04:16:06 PM »
People, as in people who are looking to book a holiday.  Only the least sophisticated of traveller would not take into consideration the exchange rate when looking into a holiday. 

So, what will the Euro/pound exchange rate be in July 2009?

Anyone can guess and get it totally wrong, nothing sophisticated about that.