Author Topic: What is "The Jersey Way"  (Read 29044 times)

Res Nullius

What is "The Jersey Way"
« on: September 14, 2008, 10:24:03 AM »
Just for starters...

"Above all else, we must believe in the independence, competence, ability and integrity of Jersey’s Crown Officers and especially the Attorney General and his department.  It would be very easy now to turn inwards and attack all our institutions. That is not the correct thing to do, nor is it the Jersey way."  -  Deputy Sean Power  06/03/2008

Ahhh.  The 'Jersey Way' 
This will be the way that the Chief Minister gets elected by secret ballot despite coming last in the public elections?
The way that the head of the judiciary, the Bailiff sits unelected in the states and exersizes power over those who are elected?
This will be the way, the current Health Minister tries to slate the HdeLeG investigation by insulting Lenny Harper.
This will be the way that our politicians complain that “I didn’t know the microphones were still on” or “It was an internal email”, as if the content and implication was unimportant?
This will be the way, our politician’s state “not on our watch”, “before I became a states member”, “the previous committee(s).
This will be the way, our politician’s start conferences in front of the international press with chair wrestling!
This will be the same competence, ability and integrity of Jersey’s Crown Officers and especially the Attorney General and his department successfully applied to the Royal Court for a known paedophile to be sworn in as an honorary police officer and who did nothing about this when it was brought to their attention?

Conflict of interests, incompetence - The Jersey Way

How dare he tell us what we MUST do?

Jason the Maverick

What is "The Jersey Way"
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2008, 10:35:11 AM »
But I thought the idea of voting in a Chief Minister is the fact that it is those in the States that have to work with this person?

As for HdlG, I support Ben Shenton and Sean Power on this.  I think the release to the media about a dead child was one of the biggest police cock ups we have had in years.

For Lenny Harper to then get slaughtered in the National Press for witholding information for 6 weeks was another police cock up, and like I said he only has himself to blame.

When we eventually have a public enquiry into this and the truth is out I think the supporters of Harper will end up looking stupid to be honest.

I am pleased we do at least have some people in the States who will at least stick their necks out and ask questions about the facts of ongoing enquiry.  That is what they are there for.

« Last Edit: September 14, 2008, 10:36:45 AM by JTM »

Offline voiceforchildren

• voiceforchildren
What is "The Jersey Way"
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2008, 10:40:14 AM »
But I thought the idea of voting in a Chief Minister is the fact that it is those in the States that have to work with this person?

As for HdlG, I support Ben Shenton and Sean Power on this.  I think the release to the media about a dead child was one of the biggest police cock ups we have had in years.

For Lenny Harper to then get slaughtered in the National Press for witholding information for 6 weeks was another police cock up, and like I said he only has himself to blame.

When we eventually have a public enquiry into this and the truth is out I think the supporters of Harper will end up looking stupid to be honest.

I am pleased we do at least have some people in the States who will at least stick their necks out and ask questions about the facts of ongoing enquiry.  That is what they are there for.

Mods. Could you please ask JTM to give Deputy Power a chance to answer somE questions. We are all aware of JTM's views. Can I suggest you start a thread for JTM? That way he can give all his views on there and give Deputy Power a chance on here
An alternative to Jersey's State Media

Jason the Maverick

What is "The Jersey Way"
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2008, 10:45:57 AM »
You are not even asking him a question just trying to have digs at him.

Res Nullius

What is "The Jersey Way"
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2008, 10:59:57 AM »
JTM.  It was you who asked  - "Can't you be a bit more specific as to why you do not support him?"  If you don't like my answer, don't ask the question.  If you don't like my reasons - tough.  I really don't care.

If you think that I am 'having a dig at him' because I don't like his support for 'the Jersey Way' than it says more about you than you understand.

I do not have to justify why I do not support him to you or anyone else.  I chose to present a quote from him as one of the reasons I would not support him.  You have clearly nailed your colours to the mast and seem to believe that all in the garden is rosy.  That's up to you. Equally, it's up to me if I have an alternative view. 

The purpose of my original post was to point out the obvious unfairness in the voting system whereby I am unable to affect the election prospects of an individual who I dislike.  You wanted to turn it into something more rather than answer my original question - Is it fair?

Offline Terminator 4

What is "The Jersey Way"
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2008, 11:04:50 AM »
Whats wrong with the Jersey Way?  We are independent aren't we  ???

Offline Al

What is "The Jersey Way"
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2008, 11:06:54 AM »
Mods. Could you please ask JTM to give Deputy Power a chance to answer somE questions. We are all aware of JTM's views. Can I suggest you start a thread for JTM? That way he can give all his views on there...

That's a good idea!!! Curent statistics on this forum - total posts 11,333, posts by JTM 2,657. I may not work in finance, and struggle with arithmetic, but, roughly this works out that JTM's contributions account for a fifth of the postings here - that's a pretty big slice on a forum with 261 members. I'm interested in reading, and being involved with, an area for discussion in wich many people can share their views and opinions - I'm much less enthusistic about the JTM show.

Can I suggest you start a thread for JTM? That way he can give all his views on there and...
...we don't have to read it!

Jason the Maverick

What is "The Jersey Way"
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2008, 11:09:11 AM »
Thats because it was Adrian and I that started the blinking Forum back in Feb...... :-*

Res Nullius

What is "The Jersey Way"
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2008, 11:14:05 AM »
"Whats wrong with the Jersey Way? We are independent aren't we"  

Unfortunately, the 'Jersey Way' and 'independence' are not logically the same thing or indeed right.  

If the 'Jersey Way' is read to mean that we have some quaint customary foibles than I agree - what is wrong with it.

On the other hand, if the 'Jersey Way' is read to mean that we have some very fundamental flaws in the system where nepotism rules, then there is very much something wrong.

Both, you will note, have no bearing on our independance but are very different.

I guess it depends upon how you choose to read it.

Offline Terminator 4

What is "The Jersey Way"
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2008, 11:22:59 AM »
Nothing wrong with the Jersey way of doing things.  We have our own controls and legislation.  I can't see what the problem is.  Are you actually local?

Res Nullius

What is "The Jersey Way"
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2008, 11:30:56 AM »
There is nothing at all wrong with independance.  It is also good that we have our own control and legislation.  It is how that control and legislation is exersized and how transparently it is done which is important.

If you don't see anything wrong with how the executive operates then you are entitled to that rather rosy view point. 

I just happen to have a different one.

Offline Terminator 4

What is "The Jersey Way"
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2008, 11:34:26 AM »
So you would prefer us to be run by the EU then? 

Res Nullius

What is "The Jersey Way"
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2008, 11:44:02 AM »
Oh please Terminator, do try a little bit harder to read before you start typing.   ::)

"There is nothing at all wrong with independance.  It is also good that we have our own control and legislation."

Which part of that did you not (want to) understand?

Offline Terminator 4

What is "The Jersey Way"
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2008, 11:47:08 AM »
That is why I do not have a problem with the Jersey way.

Offline Sean Power

Re: What is "The Jersey Way"
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2008, 06:38:52 PM »
Following on from this mornings truncated thread,.............

I believe there is not a huge amount wrong with the Jersey way of doing things. Yes, there are faults and there has been abuse. Yes, there has been limited miscarriage of justice. No justification for that. It happens everywhere, England, Ireland, Scotland, Wales, most everywhere. I cannot understand why it happened but it did.

Jersey is a fair place as far as I can see. Many people want to live and move here. Those that struggle with poverty here are to be helped as much as is possible.  However, the appalling tenements of Liverpool, Limerick, Nicholson Park and the rest are banished to history, Thank God.

I believe in this Island and it's future. It will have to change the way it does business. The Great God of Finance will be replaced and I agree with Simon Crowcroft. Education, learning and 3rd level research can do that.

Jersey could become a centre of educational research and development quickly. We have some of the biggest tides in the world and the world is crying out for renewable energy. Jersey can take it's place  in the world to do this. We can generate 10 times the energy we consume. I have seen the figures. Jersey could be a net exporter of up to 400megawatts of energy. The technology is not quite there yet. It is not far away. Give research a chance.

Give JCG or St.Saviours Hospital over to academic work. Donate the buildings on a low lease. Give academia a chance to just start here.

Let's invite  Canadian, UK, French, US, Austrian, German, Polish, Irish, Portugese, Australian, New Zealand, South African Universities a chance to research here.  We can only benefit and keep some of out great buildings intact and used.

In Limerick, my home city, it did not have a centre of learning until 1972.That university started then and now, in 2008, there are about 35,000 students there for four years]. That employs about 12,000 people from professors to cleaners. That could be a model for Jersey. Replace part of the finance industry with education. We are perfectly placed. However, there is no political will to take a risk. I would.

Sean