Author Topic: Jersey 'a step away from independence'  (Read 11336 times)

Offline the 13th parish

Jersey 'a step away from independence'
« on: June 28, 2008, 02:33:55 AM »
Jersey 'a step away from independence'

Jersey is just one or two steps away from becoming an independent state.

So says a States-appointed review group who have been weighing up the pros and cons of Jersey becoming a sovereign state.

The group, headed by the Bailiff Sir Philip Bailhache, reckons the cost of independence would work out at up to £11.5m a year, plus £3m to buy a patrol boat.

The group is recommending that on international relations the island should, as a priority, strengthen its links with Brussells and look at the implications of joining groups like the United Nations and the Commonwealth.

It's also suggested that some civil servants should start having training now on the arts international diplomacy along with the establishment of an international affairs department.

The group has taken a close look at how parliaments in some small countries operate and believes Jersey should consider creating a second chamber.

On economcs, the group suggests drawing up primary legislation to establish a central bank. And it's recommended that Jersey should consider the implications for Guernsey.

http://www5.channelonline.tv/news/?a=15368&z=1
Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter.

Offline plus_ca_change

Re: Jersey 'a step away from independence'
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2008, 10:12:13 AM »
Am I the only person who gets really hacked off that these reports are fed to the local media, but not made avalaible for us to read and analyse for ourselves.  I would really appreciate it if the local media would give us the basic info on how we can obtain the report for ourselves so we can make up our own minds.  I think it should be a requirement that these reports are made available for download from a properly indexed government web site before being issued to commercial entities.

Offline Al

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2008, 10:33:23 AM »
This http://www.gov.je/StatesGreffe/MinisterialDecision/ChiefMinister/2007/Framework+for+developing+the+international+identity+of+Jersey.htm?DisplayReport=true was released last year...
When I was younger I read 'The Mouse that Roared' (Leonard Wibberly) and thought that it was a comedy, that it was a satire concerned with a minutely small country that had some parallels with Jersey. Apparently someone at the States (perhaps Mike Entwistle - he's responsible for International Relations apparently) has also read this book and believes it a realistic plan of action!

The JEP report is here http://www.thisisjersey.com/2008/06/28/jersey-could-go-it-alone/ .
« Last Edit: June 28, 2008, 10:50:03 AM by Al »

Razzard

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2008, 12:20:09 PM »
Check out this clip;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Or9C-gt4TpA

I guess this is the sort of thing they have in mind!

Offline Fritz

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2008, 03:38:49 PM »
Loved that film, (never read the book though).
Sounds like a plan.

"The Mouse That Roared", was great too.

Razzard

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2008, 04:07:28 PM »
The timing of the report is interesting. At a time when Stuart Syvret is pushing Jack Straw for UK intervention on the legal handling or mis-handling of the Haut de La Garenne crisis the Bailff is pulling in the other direction by signalling that Jersey should be fully independent.

Or am I reading too much into it?

That aside we are told in today's JEP that additional cost to the taxpayer is going to be somewhere in the region of £11m per annum. ELEVEN MILLION! 

Offline Fritz

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2008, 04:11:40 PM »
Not much if you say it quickly.

Offline plus_ca_change

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2008, 05:14:20 PM »
I supose the time change referendum is testing the waters as a precursor to pressing for more independence. The more changes that can be bought about that differentiate us from the UK , the stronger the case will be made for independence.

Offline King Rollo

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2008, 07:31:56 PM »
What do the proponents of 'independence' actually mean? Have they defined it yet becasue you are fairly independent now are you not? 

They may debate until the cows come home (old Alderney joke!) but the Baliff and Ministers know full well that whatever they propose, the decision will ultimately be made in Westminster and not St. Helier.

The Channel Islands are possessions of the British Crown they are not sovereign nations in their own right, and the power to pass legislation affecting the islands rests ultimately with their own legislative assemblies, with the assent of the Crown (Privy Council).[

Offline danrok

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2008, 08:01:35 PM »
The timing of this may have something to do with the fact that Labour will most likely lose the next general election.  So, are they scared of the current Tories, I wonder?

Offline King Rollo

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2008, 09:18:24 PM »
The timing of this may have something to do with the fact that Labour will most likely lose the next general election.  So, are they scared of the current Tories, I wonder?

Quite frankly it is a silly notion and sounds more like headline grabbing than well thought through policy. The upshot is that your admin load increases closely followed by the Civil Service - and who pays for that? The tax payer!

Afraid of the Tories. Well they are discussing closing tax loopholes and it only takes one renegade employee with a couple of CD's for sale, ask Liechtenstein!  I read a report last year that the Security Services of many nations are now actively seeking agents in the worldwide offshore banking industry, as did the German BND in the case of the above. That is how they intend to defeat tax evasion globally in the long run, not going against the banks but individuals actually evading the tax.

Roll on independence then!

Offline Al

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2008, 11:43:55 PM »
Scared of the Tories?!? I think this is unlikely and, anyway, another, more imminent, change of government may certainly have an impact on the island.

http://www.thisisjersey.com/2007/05/24/you-can-trust-jersey-walker-tells-us/

http://levin.senate.gov/newsroom/release.cfm?id=269479

Offline churchill

« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2008, 10:44:59 PM »
jersey independent .

Over my dead body.  I smell a rat. Do they have something to hide ?
The island will become more of a secret society than ever.
The bailiff and his merry men will have a battle on their hands if i hear any more of this crap coming out of the states.

IM JERSEY. BRITISH. AND BLOODY PROUD OF MY IDENTITY.

CHEERS ALL.  ALVIN.

Offline newmac

« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2008, 12:30:45 AM »
Does anyone else think that it's wrong for the Bailiff who is appointed by the Queen so you could say a servant of the Queen to be actively planning independence.

So the privy council could be petitioned to have the Queen remove the bailiff as he could been seen as unfit for his post, it was done to a former deputy bailiff.

Offline churchill

« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2008, 12:36:07 AM »
yes. I'm for that. lets investigate and see what can be done .

CHEERS  ALVIN.