Author Topic: Wage rises oustripping inflation for third year  (Read 799 times)

Offline ageofaquarius

Wage rises oustripping inflation for third year
« on: August 26, 2015, 10:48:02 PM »

I don't often read the JEP but saw this online today and I admit to gasping a bit. Apparently the average finance salary is £49,920 and  public sectors average wage is £46,120.  I understand by average they mean median - what this means is the people earning well above the average wage are tipping the balance of those (like me) who have been on the same very average wage of under £30,000 for the last 5 years.  I do believe that these figures are way off the mark.  For example I know many folk who work in finance who on average are earning nearer £29K.

Financial services – £49,920
Public sector – £46,800
Electricity, gas and water – £42,120
Transport, storage and communications – £41,080
Construction – £33,800
Manufacturing – £29,640
Wholesale and retail – £24,960
Agriculture – £21,840
Hotels, restaurants and bars – £19,760

Offline boatyboy

Re: Wage rises oustripping inflation for third year
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2015, 11:28:28 PM »

Tonymusings blog did an informative write up on the different ways to get an average. As his blog does not have a search engine it will be difficult to find ?

The tall and short of it is through my eyes if you take the average wage of nine people who earn around £25 to £30k a year but then add another person ( making ten people) who earns big bucks say £300k per year then the average is not the average at all for the ten. It may be on paper but real life will tell a different story.

The States of Jersey employees published figures show that over 600 managers earned more than £70,000. A manager in private enterprise would have to be very good to earn that. Even so,  the big juicy wage packets of the Government employees ( of which I used to be one ) is paying far to much for the job and distorts the average earnings real world findings in Jersey, of those that work in the private sector. This is not to say that many FRONT LINE states workers are overpaid, they actually roll up their sleeves and get on with it. It is the manager, who manages the manager who manages the manager that need to find real employment on real wages.

BB

Offline shortport

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2015, 02:37:19 AM »
Be more interesting to know the figures in bands,such as how many people in full employment earn £10-20,000,how many earn £30-40,000,etc,etc.
Average wage for retail £24,960.Just look at the jobs on the states website,i very much doubt if there is a single job in retail paying more than £8 an hour.
I am fed up of the JEP coming out with this spin every year,trying to make the world believe we're all wealthy here.Its disgusting,there are more people than ever struggling to make ends meet and the JEP coming out with this tripe is just rubbing salt in the wounds.
Interesting to note in the JEP it states 'The number of workers whose earnings are used to calculate the index represents just over half of the islands totally workforce.
Whats that suppose to mean?
What about the other half?Are they the other half that don't count for anything in this island.

Offline man in the street

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2015, 11:34:25 PM »
More lies and propaganda,imho.
For myself it was another year of a cutting of the purchasing power of the take home pay.
 As a chap who a while ago lived in states  accommodation,paying full rent and getting no help at all.
 Finally left  and re built a home for myself and the wife.
The fact is if I was still under andiums roof, we would of being moved into same price yet smaller accommodation
And would of had to apply for income support.
We would of become some of the working poor.
As usual our government only see,s the figure it wants to see.
And notice the taxpayer has trumped up to fund the air display.
Hopefully the government will declare a public holiday,for all taxpayers,to enjoy their investment in the show.