Author Topic: Jersey Beans  (Read 4875 times)

Offline ageofaquarius

Jersey Beans
« on: August 26, 2014, 02:58:44 AM »
Next week the term Jersey bean will no longer be tolerated in the workplace as it has negative connotations.  Being Jersey born but with parents from the UK, I do not have a problem with being called a bean, and judge it the same was as I would with the terms jock, scouser Geordie, paddie etc.  These terms are used to determine geographically what part of the British Isles you are from. 

Now the pc brigade have outlawed the use of bean, but not others mentioned above.  Does anyone on PJ find the expression Jersey Bean racist or has negative connotations?

Offline Chevalier Blanc

Re: Jersey Beans
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2014, 03:37:43 PM »
I do not like being called a "bean".

Offline Fritz

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2014, 01:53:38 AM »
I do not like being called a "bean".

Be interested to know what you call:

Liverpudlians, Scottish people, Irish people, Portuguese people, Polish people, Newcastle people, Welsh people, Guernsey people, French people etc in your normal daily conversations with fellow Jersey people.  ::)

Offline shortport

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2014, 02:15:20 AM »
I don't mind being called a bean but I don't like being issued with an EU passport that says I can't work in the EU.This is one type of discrimination they are more than happy to overlook because it might have an effect on our precious finance industry,something that us 'beans' have to suffer.

Offline ageofaquarius

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2014, 02:54:00 AM »
Shortport you have an excellent point, never mind nicknames - its sticks and stones, but not being offered a EU passport is totally wrong. I can see no practical reason why this law still exists.

Am I also not allowed to say yes my love anymore either

Offline Fritz

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2014, 12:55:18 AM »
I think if Jersey got rid of its discriminatory housing laws,(Substitute immigration law), Europe might have a look at the passport thing.

Offline shortport

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2014, 02:13:25 AM »
Housing is a separate topic,nobody is forced to come and live here.
But my passport clearly states on the front EU passport,but in the back page it says I am not entitled to work in the EU.This is not something I have a choice in.EU citizens can chose to come and work in Jersey and stay in shitty overpriced accommodation but I don't have the same choice to live and work in the EU.That is discrimination.

Offline Fritz

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2014, 02:17:17 AM »
Jersey Housing Laws are ,"Discrimination by the back door". Its that simple.
Folk are welcome to come and work here so long as they are prepared to live in appalling overpriced conditions for ten years.
Europe is probably much more lenient for those with the Jersey passport. Never really heard of anyone not being able to get work in Europe despite what it says on the passport.
Never heard of any Jersey passport holders having to live in garden sheds etc for up to ten years when working in European countries.
If you actually know of any such cases, shortport, can you please enlighten me.

Offline Chevalier Blanc

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2014, 02:32:37 PM »
As far as I am concerned we should not allow EU people into Jersey to work.
If same of our people cannot work in Europe then it should work the other way.

Offline shortport

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2014, 01:46:49 AM »
Fritz while I agree with the state and price of accommodation for none qualified people is a disgrace,again they are not forced to come here if they don't like it.many people who come here are not all cheap labour and can afford better accommodation than many local people.A person with a Jersey passport cannot legally work in the EU.Maybe if they have some sort after qualifications they can get a work permit such as someone from Australia or America might have to.They might be able to do some casual work cash in hand such as bar work or picking grapes but to get a career,social,pension etc that is impossible.
The only people I know who live in garden sheds in Jersey are the poles because they are saving as much money as possible to send home,many I know earn more than me and live in shitty accommodation out of choice.Nobody is forced to.

Offline Fritz

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2014, 02:01:27 AM »
".Nobody is forced to.".

Housing laws suggest otherwise.

Offline shortport

« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2014, 02:40:52 AM »
Nobody is forced to come here and live in overpriced shitty accommodation.
They can simply decide to live somewhere else.

Offline HG

« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2014, 09:34:49 PM »
Imagine if no one came to live in Jersey, fought their way through the shitty accommodation system and got their quals, you would be left with just Jersey people and finance industry people, wouldn't Jersey be even worse than it is now?
In my time in Jersey I met so many nice people who had had to endure hardship and bad accommodation because they wanted to live in Jersey. Closing Jersey to outsiders doesn't make it better, and decent standards of accommodation should be available to all. Some of the lodgings I saw in Jersey wouldn't be acceptable in the third world. The States of Jersey should be ashamed of themselves. So should people running slum lodging rackets.

Offline Chevalier Blanc

« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2014, 10:57:41 PM »
100,0000+ people in this little island. Every department is breaking at the seams. Water, fire, hospital, roads, police, prison, housing   etc etc. To many people in the island.
Locals finding very hard to get jobs because the eu workers coming in and working for low wages which make more profit for the bosses. Some of those bosses are states members so they are not going to do anything about.
Civil servants from outside of the island earning huge over the top wages and golden handshakes at the end even if they leave early.
This island has never borrowed money until now and it will be many generation who are going to have to pay for this but does ozouf give a dam? No he is just going to build himself some houses and make himself some nice little bit money for pocket money  to go with his millions.
This island has suffered from the finance industry because they have put all their eggs in one basket. For this we the people are suffering.
Build more houses is the call from Mclean but where did his money come from? Estate agent! So here we have him wanting to build on the five mile road if he could. Anywhere he can to get more money and sod the island. This is why we need to vote in October for people who want to look after the people and not just self interest! 

Offline Fritz

« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2014, 12:40:59 AM »
Bottom line is. Jersey took the,"Glass beads", offered by the Finance Industry decades ago. (Banks play the long game. Speculate to accumulate and all that). Jersey, "Bit like a mackerel".
Low tax, "Money coming out our ears"," The banks will pay for everything, schools, hospitals, total infrastructure, etc.
25yrs is a short period in the finance game.
Before Jersey could blink. The finance Industry OWNED the Island and dictated that they no longer wished to pay tax, and could move their business to any other jurisdiction at the flick of a switch.
That is where we are.
The much lauded,"Cyril Le Marquand", signed Jersey,s death warrant.