Author Topic: The atmosphere in Jersey now.  (Read 17373 times)

Offline Bea

Re: The atmosphere in Jersey now.
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2008, 09:44:47 PM »
What I find funny is the comment "oh my holidays are coming up and I cannot wait to get off the rock for a bit".
Guilty of that one ....
Chatted with a lady recently who was over 70 and only time she has left the Island was when she took her kids on a day trip to Guernsey when they were small (she could recall the month and year exactly ).No passport ,no day trip to France.
She seemed very content and very happy though with her life.
Lives in one of  the country parishes though,so maybe a bit impervious to what is going on around her.
Forgot to ask her how often she gets into town 

Offline Bea

« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2008, 09:53:46 PM »
Guilty of that one ....
Chatted with a lady recently who was over 70 and only time she has left the Island was when she took her kids on a day trip to Guernsey when they were small (she could recall the month and year exactly ).No passport ,no day trip to France.
She seemed very content and very happy though with her life.
Lives in one of  the country parishes though,so maybe a bit impervious to what is going on around her.
Forgot to ask her how often she gets into town 
Just had a thought .Perhaps she had been put off ever travelling again after being to Guernsey !!

Offline Malachi

« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2008, 12:06:38 AM »
it's not unusual to look forward to getting off the rock for a bit - I like it here, but everyone needs to get away from time to time and do things that can't do here (like see shows/world famous art in London or go for a blast on the motorways etc.); it's basic holiday psychology.

Jason the Maverick

« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2008, 08:56:41 PM »
I am just starting to wonder about the atmosphere in Jersey come May 6th ?........

Offline Overandout

« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2008, 10:11:10 PM »
Well I have the answer: move away and go back for long holidays. Sorry, that's defeatist I know.

Jason the Maverick

« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2008, 10:35:21 PM »
Just make sure you only bring things back worth less than £400.00 and keep reciepts!

Offline I.N.Exile

« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2008, 05:44:00 PM »
I am just starting to wonder about the atmosphere in Jersey come May 6th ?........

It all depends on Jersey winning the Muratti the day before...

Jason the Maverick

« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2008, 06:04:18 PM »
I think that will be the last thing on our minds!

Back to work on the 6th as well......

Offline Millennium Man

« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2008, 08:13:20 PM »
People are getting more pissed off by the day.

Davros Le Sueur

« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2008, 10:49:24 PM »

To me there is a simmering level of unrest towards the people in power.
 When the Great Squirrel Turds starts biting there will be even more.

Chief Minister

« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2008, 11:15:20 PM »
They make my blood boil  >:(

Offline ageofaquarius

« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2008, 09:39:45 PM »
I think I agree with some of what has been said above. But not all of it.

I also remember growing up as a child when the Island's population doubled every year in the summertime, and when there were literally thousands and thousands of extra hire cars on the roads, the town was full if sweaty "grocks", and you could not move for tacky souvenir shops and spurious attractions quickly knocked up to get the visitor to spend a few more quid. As a kid it was exciting - it gave us something to do! However I don't remember my parents being happy with it! I seem to recall a hard core group of locals bemoaning the fact that our major industry at the time (Tourism) was spoiling the island. Remember all those letters in the paper about H-plate drivers!!

If you think houses being built now are shoddy, look at the quality of some of the stuff built in the 60s and 70s at the height of the tourism boom (if is still standing that is, or free of asbestos).

Yes Jersey is expensive. So are a lot of places. But its a sacrifice I'm willing to make for the sake of my family and young children. As someone else said, if it wasn't for family links, I'd probably move away. But then it wouldn't be home, and there'd be a hundred other different complaints unique to wherever I moved.

Grass Greener? Rose Tinted? A bit of both probably.

Lets hope we can all collectively make the most of what we've got.

Yes, I kind of agree with you on this.  I been around and I still love this Island despite the mess, and you are right, we made a worse mess in the 60's and 70's

Offline Terminator 4

« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2008, 08:37:20 AM »
It stinks everyone is pissed off. The government are an open joke to the locals and foreigners alike.
Banana republic is an understatement.

Why do people keep on saying we are a banana republic?  We haven't got the climate for starters. 

Offline plus_ca_change

« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2008, 11:08:21 AM »
Why do people keep on saying we are a banana republic?  We haven't got the climate for starters. 
Strickly speaking you can grow some chinese/japanase banana plants outdoors here - they are  cold tolerant.  You might get fruit, but I would be surprised to see it ripen.

candidates would be
Musa Basjoo
Musa Sikkimensis
Musa Yunnan
Musa Cavendishi

Jason the Maverick

« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2008, 11:38:44 AM »
They grow pretty quickly as well.  It would be great if we could grow bananas on a commercial basis in Jersey.  :)