Author Topic: The atmosphere in Jersey now.  (Read 17364 times)

Jason the Maverick

The atmosphere in Jersey now.
« on: April 02, 2008, 08:35:23 PM »
News so far this year.  Child abuse, GST, higher than ever house prices and we are only 4 months in.

Offline Al

Re: The atmosphere in Jersey now.
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2008, 10:35:44 PM »
I was born over here, and have lived over here for most of my life. I am very proud of being a Jerseyman and there are many aspects of the island of which I am proud, that I love and cherish - the many beauties of the landscape, its history and independence, the local atmosphere of knowing many people, the fact that it is a tremendous place in which to bring up children - but, if it wasn't for the fact that I have a young daughter here being brought up by my ex-wife and with whom I want to stay in contact, I would leave the island tomorrow and not look back. The island is gradually being ruined physically by hideous, shoddily-built blocks of flats and offices and the many consequences of having far too many cars on our roads, and mentally and spiritually by the obeisiance that so many people seem to feel that they owe the finance industry, an industry which, after all, is concerned fundamentally with greed.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2008, 11:49:17 PM by Al »

Offline danrok

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2008, 10:52:41 PM »
I agree with you Al. Unfortunately, the islands culture and diverse heritage is all but history, all we're left with are a few artefacts.

An island full of accountants does naturally result in something bland and boring.

The muppets running this rock will no doubt claim that we have such a great standrard of living. Sadly, they do not even know how to define that, let alone make such a claim. Driveways littered with BMWs, Mercs, etc. does not lead to a high standard of living, nor happiness.  There's been proposals to build expensive gated and secure communities on the island, how sad and depressing is that?

These idiots cannot even manage to sort out a few grand for youth facilities. What hope is there, so long as the same dull politicians are calling the shots?

mac

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2008, 11:03:33 PM »
I have to agree, even though I wasn't born over here I was very young when my family moved over, my mums Jersey born.
The Island has changed so much from when I was growing up, I know people will say that's progress, but I think you can have progress without the island loosing it's soul.

Offline Malachi

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2008, 01:05:43 AM »
I like it here - too expensive to live here of course (for me anyway, many people I know are ok), but the Island's outstanding natural beauty (or what is left of it) often makes me forget about that.

(I'm not a culture vulture or a pubber & clubber etc., so the somewhat non-existent, dull, crap, conservative etc. 'Jersey culture' doesn't bug me that much; I'd rather live here and pop over to London for my cultural fix than be trapped in London with all of the noise and filth etc.)
« Last Edit: April 03, 2008, 01:08:00 AM by Malachi »

Jason the Maverick

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2008, 12:41:00 PM »
One thing I never understand is why they say Jersey looks so nice.

You know everytime I go away I see nicer looking places!

Offline Pomme de terre

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2008, 01:01:58 PM »
One thing I never understand is why they say Jersey looks so nice.

You know everytime I go away I see nicer looking places!

One thing I would say is that, if you want to see how nice Jersey looks, do the 48 mile Itex walk on 21st June. http://www.itexoffshore.com/Adverts/walkad.htm.

The walk gives me an appreciation of the absolute beauty of the island and the diversity of its landscape and history. It also underlines how incredibly charitable, good-natured and friendly the vast majority of people in the island are. If you want a personal challenge and you want to fall back in love with Jersey again, sign up for the walk and hope for sunshine!

Offline Al

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2008, 03:26:24 PM »
(I)f you want to see how nice Jersey looks, do the 48 mile Itex walk on 21st June...you (will) want to fall back in love with Jersey again...

I suppose that by the end you are so disoriented and tired that GST and Haut de la Garenne (and other issues too many to list) are forgotten about... (and, also, how much publicity a Guiton Group company is getting from it!).

AHITS

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2008, 06:10:33 PM »
A friend of mine did the Itex walk the other year, for the first time, and they were struck at the amount of mobile phone masts blighting the landscape in some of the more secluded reaches of the island.....so natural beauty doesn't neccesarily require Dandara's 'loving touch' to aid its decline...

Jason the Maverick

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2008, 06:22:44 PM »
You know, when I look at how Jersey used to be say 25 years ago, I actually think it is the over crowding of some areas that makes it less special.

It also looks like Freddie is continuing the trend of countryside rape anyhow.

Offline Malachi

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2008, 12:33:15 AM »
I'm somewhat indifferent to mobile phone masts (and masts in general); they have much less of a visual impact/presence than a bland residential development dumped in the middle of a beauty spot (like those horrible things overlooking Bouley Bay)

Offline Jersey Spud

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2008, 03:53:36 PM »
I think I agree with some of what has been said above. But not all of it.

I also remember growing up as a child when the Island's population doubled every year in the summertime, and when there were literally thousands and thousands of extra hire cars on the roads, the town was full if sweaty "grocks", and you could not move for tacky souvenir shops and spurious attractions quickly knocked up to get the visitor to spend a few more quid. As a kid it was exciting - it gave us something to do! However I don't remember my parents being happy with it! I seem to recall a hard core group of locals bemoaning the fact that our major industry at the time (Tourism) was spoiling the island. Remember all those letters in the paper about H-plate drivers!!

If you think houses being built now are shoddy, look at the quality of some of the stuff built in the 60s and 70s at the height of the tourism boom (if is still standing that is, or free of asbestos).

Yes Jersey is expensive. So are a lot of places. But its a sacrifice I'm willing to make for the sake of my family and young children. As someone else said, if it wasn't for family links, I'd probably move away. But then it wouldn't be home, and there'd be a hundred other different complaints unique to wherever I moved.

Grass Greener? Rose Tinted? A bit of both probably.

Lets hope we can all collectively make the most of what we've got.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2008, 04:01:22 PM by Jersey Spud »

AHITS

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2008, 04:51:38 PM »
I think I agree with some of what has been said above. But not all of it.

I also remember growing up as a child when the Island's population doubled every year in the summertime, and when there were literally thousands and thousands of extra hire cars on the roads, the town was full if sweaty "grocks", and you could not move for tacky souvenir shops and spurious attractions quickly knocked up to get the visitor to spend a few more quid. As a kid it was exciting - it gave us something to do! However I don't remember my parents being happy with it! I seem to recall a hard core group of locals bemoaning the fact that our major industry at the time (Tourism) was spoiling the island. Remember all those letters in the paper about H-plate drivers!!

That's how I remember Jersey being in the 1980's....and very slightly into the 1990's.   

This thread is titled "The atmosphere in Jersey now", and I think the big difference between then and now, is the loss of that holiday atmosphere. During the summer there was always a kind of  'sunshine vibe' in the air, because town was populated by people enjoying their one week of the year away from the everyday drudgery of life back home, happy at being able to spend their money on cheap perfumes, beers and jewellery, just having a fun time. And let's not forget the masses of young seasonal workers from the hotels, who when not working were also treating their time here like a holiday.

Because of that St.Helier in particular did 'feel' different. But with that atmosphere now completely gone, it feels like just another faceless English satellite town, which if you can't see see the sea, could be anywhere within 50 miles of London.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2008, 05:04:27 PM by AHITS »

Offline Bea

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2008, 05:10:21 PM »
That's how I remember Jersey being in the 1980's....and very slightly into the 1990's.   

This thread is titled "The atmosphere in Jersey now", and I think the big difference between then and now, is the loss of that holiday atmosphere. During the summer there was always a kind of  'sunshine vibe' in the air, because town was populated by people enjoying their one week of the year away from the everyday drudgery of life back home, happy at being able to spend their money on cheap perfumes, beers and jewellery, just having a fun time.

Because of that St.Helier in particular did 'feel' different. But with that atmosphere now completely gone, it now feels like just another faceless English shopping town, which if you can't see see the sea, could be anywhere in the South of England.

This is something that has had me thinking about recently .Town did have a good vibe,you could sit and chat with holidaymakers while you were having a break from work or shopping .The pubs were busy ,with live music(will admit not everyones cup of tea).We even had he Sally Army playing on the parade each Sunday evening to a little gathering .!!!
You could pop in and do some evening shopping and soak up some of the holiday spirit.
Look at the your average finance industry workers faces as they head off to work each morning.By they time they have fought their way through traffic, found a parking space, or had to stand up on the bus(on my route anyway).  Some of them look really demoralised before they have even gotten there.!!

Jason the Maverick

« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2008, 09:28:44 PM »
What I find funny is the comment "oh my holidays are coming up and I cannot wait to get off the rock for a bit".