Author Topic: Channel Islands Millionaire lottery  (Read 17436 times)

Offline shortport

Re: Channel Islands Millionaire lottery
« Reply #45 on: August 29, 2015, 07:54:51 PM »
I notice on the PRB facebook page there are some photos of winning scratchcards for about £50!!
Where are the photos of £100,000 winning scratchcards.
Maybe its because they don't exist

Offline man in the street

« Reply #46 on: August 29, 2015, 08:33:15 PM »
The corner shop near by sold a five pound sevens card and a lucky sole won. The £ 27,777.
I know of one winner of the £2.00 sevens, £7,777.
I am for ever trying the £2.00sevens ,and as regular habitual user of scratch cards.
Myself and other regular users, think there could be a down turn in winners.
After all i will not see a wage rise that will restore the  slump of purchasing power that i have lost over the last nine years.
 So a gamble is the only hope , to aquire more fiat money, that is becoming more and more worthless .

Offline Jerry Gosselin

« Reply #47 on: April 26, 2016, 07:48:42 PM »
I have heard a rumour that the maximum £100,000 prize on the Vegas scratchcard was recently paid out but I don't know how reliable this information is.

Apparently the guy who claimed the winner buys a lot of scratchcards anyway and after presenting the £100,000 winner, he promptly bought about £10k worth of new scratchcards! :-[ If that's true then I'm confident that the lottery organisers will get all their precious prize money back off him soon - if they haven't already!

If the maximum prize has been paid out then I just don't understand why the organisers haven't publicised this news because it will most likely create extra public interest and boost scratchcard sales even more. Their continued silence only serves to fuel the scepticism of people like me about the chances of winning these maximum advertised prizes.

Since the last comments were published on this thread, a new independent online lottery for Jersey residents has started operating, with regulatory approval. There is a monthly draw called Jackpot 6 with a potential £100,000 prize for matching all 6 numbers. You have to register on the website and then deposit at least £10. The next monthly draw is this Thursday (28th April) and each line costs £2. There are also various instant win games that can be played. The website is here:

https://www.islandslotto.com/

Before the inevitable negative comments arrive about the low chances of winning prizes on this new online site, remember that this is the first attempt to break the decades-long monopoly of the Channel Islands Lottery, with its extremely close links to the Jersey Establishment. If nobody tries this rival lottery then it is inevitable that it will fail and we'll be back in a monopoly situation again, with the same group of Establishment approved charities that never seem to criticise government social policies getting the bulk of the profits, as always.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 07:52:53 PM by Jerry Gosselin »

Offline Jerry Gosselin

« Reply #48 on: November 18, 2016, 08:06:17 PM »
Many questions are raised by the revelation in the JEP that a homeless man has been fined £100 and ordered to pay £200 compensation "after admitting a charge of stealing by finding on 26 July":o The item in question was a £200 winning scratchcard that the original owner had been careless enough to lose, but only after taking a photo of it on her mobile phone and reporting it as missing to the police. The homeless man (most probably a shelter resident) then found it and claimed the prize:

http://jerseyeveningpost.com/news/2016/11/18/homeless-man-in-court-after-finding-winning-lottery-ticket/

The first question is why he had to provide his name to cash a ticket with a winning value as low as £200. I was under the impression that agents can pay out prizes of up to £200 and I have always presumed that these prizes are paid in cash. If you have to provide your name and other details just to collect a £200 prize then where is the line drawn? What about if you win £50 or £100 - do you still have to prove that you're not part of an international money laundering syndicate?

Can it really be said that this man had sufficient mens rea to commit this 'crime', as opposed to if he had instead found a handbag and failed to hand that in? In the latter example he probably wouldn't expect to receive much sympathy, but is there the same level of expectation of being able to trace the original owner where someone finds an anonymous, unmarked ticket like this? If the winning prize was in the tens of thousands then maybe the finder should have expected it to have been reported missing and should have anticipated police involvement, but just £200? There is an argument that if £200 meant that much to the original owner then she should have taken a lot more care of it.

Then there is the matter of this man's homeless status. If ever there was an argument for mitigating circumstances to be taken into consideration then this must surely be it, yet he received precious little of it from the judge from what I can make out. Nobody who has actually experienced the desperation of living a lifestyle like that should be waving their big finger at this man. I wonder how many of us would actually have done the same thing as him if we had been in his position? One can well imagine that people in those circumstances probably spend a lot of time picking up discarded litter in the hope of finding something of small value, like a pound coin. This guy must have thought that his luck had changed for the better but ended up getting the book thrown at him instead. Rough justice?

Offline Jerry Gosselin

« Reply #49 on: November 22, 2016, 06:42:54 PM »
It's nice to learn that I wasn't the only one who thought this homeless man received rough justice...

http://www.bailiwickexpress.com/jsy/news/islanders-come-together-give-homeless-lottery-winner-better-christmas/?t=i#.WDQuDX3e6So

Hopefully he'll end up in a better situation as a result of the money that has been raised for him.

I also notice that this page alone has been viewed more than 80 times in the past 4 days yet not one comment has been posted. Moreover, the PJ forum went almost 2 weeks with no comments posted on any subject. This comes at the same time as the effective collapse of a couple of other local blogs. It is time that the registered users of this forum asked themselves a serious question: do they still want this site to continue? Or would they be happy with a situation where the only outlets for freedom of expression are under the control of Facebook or the JEP?

The Politics Jersey Facebook page is thriving compared to this forum, yet it is under the control of a person (David Rotherham) who is looking to create a new political party. He may deny it but he has said that recently. If he succeeds, you will see his name on a ballot paper near you in 2018. Political dinosaur Paul Le Claire is also using the Politics Jersey site to engineer his election comeback in 2018 (well if Trump can become President then there are probably enough idiots in Jersey who'll vote Le Claire back into office). I have strongly criticised Le Claire on PJ in years gone by, most memorably his rant about the delay in introducing a pension scheme for States Members and how he hated the public watching him shopping in the Co-op. Would I be free to post similar comments about Le Claire or any other local political personality on Politics Jersey? My suspicion is no, hence the potentially increasing value of PJ as an independent locally-run forum in an age where freedom of expression is increasingly under threat from a myriad of statute laws and state snooping.

Similar criticisms can be levelled at the JEP. To post comments on their news stories you apparently have to submit ID, yet this does not prevent one person using the name of the late Norman Le Brocq to post comments that he would presumably never have agreed with. What a disgrace! Others use the JEP to launch crude personal attacks on any States Members who give the impression of not being 100% behind the government. I recall that prior to the introduction of their ID system, many of my submitted comments were not published by the JEP and I was also de facto banned from posting any comments under my own name on the old Channel Online site. That is why I turned to PJ as I had no other way of posting comments without having to worry about offending the political ideals of some high-flying media functionary.

Political censorship is a horrible reality in this island and the harder it becomes to find rogue outlets which still remain stubbornly beyond the reach of the state-approved moderators, one would logically think that the more people would value sites like Planet Jersey and keep using them. However, looking at the downward trend of participation on this site, islanders are quite happy to have an approved state player decide whether their comments are worthy enough to be published and thus this site must inevitably vanish into history fairly soon...  :(

Offline shortport

« Reply #50 on: November 23, 2016, 02:37:10 AM »
I also started posting on PJ because many of my comments on the JEP online were not published and yet they still kept passing comments by the likes of Real Truthseeker whose comments were enough to make any normal persons blood boil.
Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be enough contributers on this site.There seems to be less than a dozen regular posters.
I think other people are more attracted to Facebook and the forums on there.

Offline Jerry Gosselin

« Reply #51 on: November 23, 2016, 07:40:48 AM »
Well there are apparently over 600 registered users on PJ and this page alone (hardly a popular or important one) has now had well over 100 hits in the past 4 days so it is not like the posts just aren't being read by anyone. The problem is that nobody bar a handful of PJ regulars are bothering to participate any more, which makes me wonder who those mysterious 100+ people are that are interested enough to read the not particularly important comments that I have posted over the past 4 days, but conversely not interested enough to share their own views. Maybe the Jersey internet police or snoopers in other States Departments are responsible for some of these hits?

Speaking of internet snoopers, it is only a matter of weeks before the UK's Investigatory Powers Bill becomes law. It will require UK internet service providers to keep a record of the online browsing history of their customers (see link below). Recent experience tells us that Jersey will blindly follow UK practice, whether overtly (by getting the puppet Assembly to rubber stamp a Jersey version of the same legislation) or covertly (where we all presume that the data retention isn't happening, but it secretly is and only a handful of officials know about it). The handful of local ISPs might also feel obliged to comply with the new UK Law in respect of their Jersey customers if any parts of their businesses are based on the UK mainland. If they do start storing our data in this way, would we even be told about it?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-38068078

Offline shortport

« Reply #52 on: November 24, 2016, 02:26:19 AM »
I wouldn't be surprised if they are doing this already i'm sure our ruling elite would like to keep an eye on any form of dissent or dissatisfaction.
I wonder how many views this will get without comments left.Is Big Brother watching us already