Author Topic: Channel Islands Millionaire lottery  (Read 17435 times)

Offline moot

Channel Islands Millionaire lottery
« on: July 07, 2012, 08:47:21 PM »
I wonder...
This lottery promises to pay £1 million + 1 prize of £100.000 + 10 prizes of £10.000 + 20 prizes of £5000 = £1.300.000 in prizes

Tickets are only £2 with no blocks of 100 for syndicates
Draw is soon - 9th August

I have been wondering where on earth they will get the prize money from - they would have to sell 650.00 tickets to break even !
Then I saw the small writing at the back

£1000.000 prize - in the even that all tickets are sold

I have never seen this before on a lottery ticket
What do you think ? Are they misleading us ? Is it trickery ?

I can't help feeling amateurs are at work here and a problem is brewing...

or am I missing something ?

Offline boatyboy

Re: Channel Islands Millionaire lottery
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2012, 09:37:39 PM »

Sounds more than a little strange moot, why haven't the BBC or JEP picked up on this clause and further if all tickets are " not " sold does that mean you are entitled to your money back.

Then [ not having bought a ticket ] is your name and address supplied when you buy or like the Uk lottery and others is it up to you to present the ticket with the right number on it ???

bb

Offline danrok

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2012, 06:51:30 AM »
The maximum prize would be £1m if all tickets are sold.

If they don't sell enough tickets, the prize would be less, but you would have a greater chance of winning.  So, it balances out, seems fair to me.

Offline Chevalier Blanc

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2012, 03:05:21 PM »
If i buy a ticket and win i want £1,000,000!

Offline boatyboy

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2012, 03:20:08 PM »

Sorry danrok I disagree, this is not about odds as you point out because we all know the odds against winning in these type of draws are high.

The carrot that actually swings our decision to purchase is normally the value of the main prize.

Its rather like paying in advance to go see a super star live and then being told he / she will not be appearing, at least you get your money back.

This needs clarification, moot is right to bring it to the publics attention.

BB

Offline man in the street

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2012, 05:01:02 PM »
if its a swizz, then i am sure the public will drop it like a hot coal.
  if the words "up to 1million" were clearly seen on the front of the ticket, then some may smell a rat.
 with only two months  to sell enough tickets  at two quid  each , they may not sell enough.
 we have spent a tenner so far  and will now wait and see.
 would be the storyof my life , i had a million winning ticket , but the goverment payed me less , because the did not sell enough.

Offline Calimachon

• http://www.amnesty.org.uk/
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2012, 07:12:47 PM »
Thanks for the 'heads-up' moot.  I am suspicious now.

I really must remember to take a look at the small print next time.

Cali :)
TOMORROW (Noun) = A mystical land where 99% of all human productivity, motivation an achievement is stored

Offline moot

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2012, 07:57:48 PM »
The maximum prize would be £1m if all tickets are sold.

If they don't sell enough tickets, the prize would be less, but you would have a greater chance of winning.  So, it balances out, seems fair to me.

I don't think you get the point. It's called "Millionaire Lottery" which implies one ticket holder would become a millionaire
When you buy a ticket you are not supplied with terms and conditions and therefore not warned about the fact that the winning ticket holder might only get half of a million, if that
More so, if you look at the back of the ticket you'll see that the condition " if all tickets are sold" only seems to apply to the £million prize and not to the others i.e £100.000. So the question is : Are these other prizes guaranteed ?
The whole thing seems to have been on a shoestring and badly thought out. I wonder what legal implication the condition has and whether the winning ticket owner legally has the right to the full £1000.000 and if yes will the tax payer have to pay for the shortfall ?
As I said before I can see another cock-up problem / apology/ inquiry / we can learn from this / we take our clients very seriously and all that bull

Offline moot

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2012, 07:58:52 PM »
If i buy a ticket and win i want £1,000,000!

Exactly !

Offline moot

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2012, 06:12:54 AM »
Just noticed they have used the old sneaky trick on the ticket :
 UP TO... A million

Cheap, nasty and misleading !

Offline danrok

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2012, 06:44:41 AM »
I'm not doubting that you've been mislead.

This is what we can expect from the blundering States of Jersey.

The lottery appears not to have a website, which seems like a big oversight to me.

All I can find is: http://www.gov.je/News/2012/Pages/MillionaireSummerDraw.aspx

One page, which states:

----------------
Tickets for the Channel Islands ‘Millionaire’ 2012 Summer Draw go on sale across Jersey on Friday 29 June. The winning numbers will be announced by Mr Battle, Matthew Wolfenden, at the Jersey Battle of Flowers on 9 August 2012.

Tickets are expected to sell fast as, if all tickets are sold, the first prize will be £1 million. This would be the highest lottery prize in the history of the Channel Islands Lottery. As well as the first prize, there will be a second prize of £100,000, 10 third prizes of £10,000, and 20 fourth prizes of £5,000.

Tickets cost £2 with two entries into the prize draw. This means that, if all tickets are sold, each ticket has a one in a million chance of winning £1 million. Tickets will be available at participating retailers, as well as at Trading Standards in the Central Market and the lottery kiosk on King Street.

Economic Development Minister, Senator Alan Maclean, said “With all Jersey profits going directly to local good causes, the summer draw is not only an exciting event but also an opportunity for Islanders to contribute to the valuable work of Jersey charities.”

Chair of the Association of Jersey Charities, Liz Le Poidevin, added “The Association of Jersey Charities has been lucky enough to receive the Jersey share of the Channel Islands lottery profits for many years now and we could not continue our work of helping our member charities without it.”
----------

Offline danrok

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2012, 06:46:09 AM »
That implies that there are 1 million tickets at £2 each, and the main prize will only be £1m if all tickets are sold - all 1 million of them!

Offline danrok

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2012, 06:53:25 AM »
Sorry danrok I disagree, this is not about odds as you point out because we all know the odds against winning in these type of draws are high.

The carrot that actually swings our decision to purchase is normally the value of the main prize.

Its rather like paying in advance to go see a super star live and then being told he / she will not be appearing, at least you get your money back.

This needs clarification, moot is right to bring it to the publics attention.

BB

The odds are directly related to the number of tickets sold.

If they sell 10 you have a 1:10 chance, if they sell them all you have a 1:1,000,000 chance.

However, I'm not sure exactly how the prize fund is calculated.

Suppose they sell half the tickets, would you win £500,000, or would it be less than that?

One thing is for sure.  If Camelot ran the UK lottery this way (poor communication, etc.) they would be in a world of ****.

Offline moot

« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2012, 05:58:37 AM »
I read that only £200.000 has been raised so far with 13 days to go I can see trouble ahead....

Offline man in the street

« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2012, 09:17:45 PM »
looks like i am stuck here, till i win enough to pack it all in and run off.