Author Topic: Good Government in Jersey ?  (Read 9591 times)

Offline Chevalier Blanc

Re: Good Government in Jersey ?
« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2014, 03:48:51 PM »
Well now I am really pleased to hear that Nick Le Cornu and Sam Mezec are hoping to make a political party in time for the October elections.
This is what Jersey needs for the sake of the people and stop the establishment from ruining this island for the people.
No more independent politicians ( but we know that the secret party is the est. ) who can never bring about their hopes but with a party we all know that if they do not carry out their promise they will be voted out next time.
Roll on October!

Offline gladiator

« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2014, 06:12:54 AM »
Reading the words of Ex-labour MP Tony Benn in the article of the Guardian, I found this following quote very interesting and wonder, if it is applicable to Jersey?

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/mar/15/10-of-the-best-tony-benn-quotes-as-picked-by-our-readers

Tony Benn's " five questions" for the powerful"

Tony Benn’s final speech to the House of Commons as MP was an appropriately eloquent farewell, in which he talked widely on his view of the role of parliament and the wider question of democracy. As Hansard records, he said:

In the course of my life I have developed five little democratic questions. If one meets a powerful person--Adolf Hitler, Joe Stalin or Bill Gates--ask them five questions: “What power have you got? Where did you get it from? In whose interests do you exercise it? To whom are you accountable? And how can we get rid of you?” If you cannot get rid of the people who govern you, you do not live in a democratic system.

http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm200001/cmhansrd/vo010322/debtext/10322-13.htm

Offline boatyboy

« Reply #32 on: April 24, 2014, 06:03:01 PM »

Just had a mooch through the JEP story about the meeting tonight at the town hall regarding Chief Minister Gorst's proposition to give him ultimate power to hire and fire his own ministers.

The article and comments can be read here.

http://jerseyeveningpost.com/news/2014/04/22/public-meeting-called-over-chief-ministers-role/

Now if you were in Government in the position of CM it would be preferable to pass these fundamental changes without fuss in the chamber. The last thing as CM that you want ( especially with an election but a few months away ) is the public having a meeting about your grab for power proposition.

So out comes the troll from his toilet, yes avid readers of blogs can spot him between the sensible comments and notice how he praises himself in the guise of   " Inhabitant of the real world " praising Real Truthseeker and there is also james1 in there also, the style of writing gives it away.

The trolls plan is to clearly cast a cloud of irrelevance over a very serious and ominous move for one man to politically gain a massive increase in power.

Because the trolls propaganda, as displayed in the comments section of the JEP is an opinion without basis or fact it undermines peoples intelligence.

If CM Gorst is right then so be it, but there is a lot wrong with giving one person rather than the whole assembly the power to sack an elected representative of the people because they do not do as they are told. Party politics is a different kettle of fish.

This is a meeting that will send a real message, silly comments or not on the JEP website.

I hear ( not able to confirm on here ) that several politicians are refusing to go to the Commonwealth summit later in the year because they are not sure of keeping their seats and want to firm up their election campaigns.

So who will you the taxpayer be buying tickets and accommodation for ? Senator Bailhache and his close friends the Dean and Mrs Key his wife of course,  even though Mr and Mrs Dean are unelected and carry no mandate from the people.

To put it simply, much of the dead wood is worried.

See you at 7.30 tonight.

Boatyboy.

Offline boatyboy

« Reply #33 on: April 25, 2014, 03:07:18 PM »
Around sixty people at town hall meeting including the media. The public where given plenty of time to speak and Sam Mezec has matured as chair keeping control of the proceedings which were cordial and finished just a few minutes over time.

Ex deputy Guy du Faye made it very clear that this proposition allowing the Chief Minister to hire and fire is a power grab. Deputy Judy Martin spoke well as did several members of the public. Stuart Syvret also spoke and was applauded by the audience who listened closely and certainly appeared to take on board what the chief minister and friends where up to, which was to raise the walls higher and make the moat wider according to Deputy Le Cornu.

One speaker pointed out that should this be carried by the assembly, the only manifesto that would matter would be the chief ministers. Who ever you voted for in the coming elections, whatever they may have to say or offer will be completely trumped by the chief ministers manifesto. In other words do as he says or you stand no chance of being a minister and sitting around the big table or being sacked if you are a minister and openly disagree with him.

I had not realised that Phillip Ozouf's amendment is nothing to do with the CM's proposition. Why on earth has been allowed to be tagged on ? this aspect was  pointed out at the meeting. If it gets a yes vote - Ozouf's  amendment dictates Ministers ( and presumably ass. ministers ) will be paid more than backbenchers. Another carrot to keep the minister in line.

Clearly non of this in a disjointed tax and spend Government who is now placing unelected friends on quango's, bids well for a democracy. It just concentrates power into the hands of one man and his chosen few.

This must fail or as a speaker made plain last evening, the public must vote out every States member who votes yes to this at the next election sending a message Jersey will not put up with a dictatorship.

Boatyboy.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 11:32:21 PM by boatyboy »

Offline boatyboy

« Reply #34 on: December 12, 2014, 05:23:56 PM »

Why anyone is getting in such a fuss after electing mostly the same old same old is a mystery to me. The States of Jerseys Government has morphed over the years into an executive which makes up laws, but is now called Ministers decisions which are signed off by one person.

This of course is fully against the recommendation’s of Lord Napier who wrote that checks and balances are an important part of democracy
Remember that ex  Deputy and Minister Guy de Faye, signed off a decision allowing a property developer to lay a pipe across private land without the permission of the land owner. On this rare occasion a states member brought a proposition and had it overturned.  It was of course nonsense when a comedian type said the Minister would have to give the brown envelope back.

How many states members are property owners ? 

This was probably the exceptional bad law corrected as there are eleven conservative constables at least twenty three ministers ( including assistants) and several sleeping deputies which do as they are told. Which means almost any upstart apposing a Ministerial decision, will stand little chance of a proposition being passed when the Council of ministers say no, that is of course if they are not all at lunch when the vote is taken.

Jersey is a lovely place to live and very conservative. So keep your stiff upper lip as the family silver slowly gets sold off, public property sold to developers, borrowing increases and your taxes rise linked directly to a spend and tax Government who are making these laws.
There are far worse places in the world however those places tend to be called dictatorships.

Rise of the Dictators

But what I find wholly reprehensible is for a Minister to make such a radical change without putting it before the States to debate. This is the kind of decision making which calls for arguments for and against to be aired, and a measured debate, whatever the vote.

The way in which Ministers can simply effect change by Ministerial Decree, even with the approval of the Council of Ministers, is something I find profoundly disturbing. There should be guidelines in place to suggest a kind of threshold as to when something can be passed by decree, and when it should go before the States.

http://tonymusings.blogspot.co.uk/2014/12/a-tide-is-rising-lot-of-scary-stories.html

Boatyboy.

Offline boatyboy

« Reply #35 on: December 26, 2014, 09:34:32 PM »
Part of an article, which highlights much of what is wrong with the culture prevalent in today’s local Civil Service.

Maybe you will also remember the health police under Anne Pryke who wanted  the law changed giving them legal status to enter any persons private home and inspect the way they live. Refusal to allow admission would have resulted in the police being called and then court if refusal persisted.

I hear of a new “ initiative “ still unconfirmed that will allow the planning department staff the right to plant a plant of whatever species they so wish on your  land, and I suppose that also means private garden and if you decide to remove the plant you can be prosecuted.

Why bring a ridiculous speed limit to lanes that are impossible to police, and a bicycle can easily also break the fifteen an hour speed limit.

What is law making by committee and senior civil service to do ? well make it up of course. Welcome to the world of civil service bullsh*t

“States of Jersey Registration and Inspection Department"

Quote:

Perhaps so, but this seems to be an initiative from the Health Department without consultation with Sir David Kirch. If Mr Kirch has made no such stipulation, why should pen-pushing bureaucrats take it upon themselves so to do?

It does seem a very high handed way for the department to behave, and it assumes that most people cannot be trusted, and may use the vouchers for themselves rather than their relatives.
Lack of trust, and a desire to control, are evils which can so easily beset government. The Nanny State is alive and well, unwilling to accept that most people are responsible and trustworthy, and burearcrats become mired in a culture of suspicion.

We do not want a system where overprotection and intrusion become too overbearing. I am very disappointed in the Heath Minister's attitude..

Thanks to Tony and his musings.

http://tonymusings.blogspot.co.uk

Will question’s be asked by senior ministers about the funding and structure of the new “States of Jersey Registration and Inspection Department" as quoted, will a new ministerial position be created ? Will answers be demanded or is this new department just a lie ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJo9JbZ3z-o

Will it be just another case of Oops we have been caught out, quick lift the carpet ?

Boatyboy.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2014, 04:39:14 AM by boatyboy »

Offline Chevalier Blanc

« Reply #36 on: December 29, 2014, 07:40:52 PM »
I take it that if the things that gorst wants to do over the next 3 years and fails then all the ministers must resign has they are all responsible under the collected responsibility policy.
I would love to see that happen because it just ain't going to happen.

Offline boatyboy

« Reply #37 on: April 19, 2015, 05:51:43 PM »
Speaking with ex Deputy Dorey ( yes he of the sex video scandal ) he taught me something. A politician will not be act like blue print of every thing you believe to be right. If a politician actually carries out 75% of what you think is correct you are doing well. Of course he was right. Since that day I have given thought to his words, and in my view a politician voted democratically into his job, must at very least posses some bottom line qualities, listed below

They should at all times be open and honest with the electorate unless island security is at stake.

They should express their opinion openly, and explain why they have that Opinion.

They should not use public office for their own comfortable gains, they are there to work to improve the structure and life quality of society and it's people in general.

They should not be gagged, but should use their skills and experience to question other politicians with whom they may disagree, and whom are also leaders.

They should stay true to themeselves and those that elected them.

Maybe you have a different view, fine, but debate and questioning leads to debate and solutions, we appear to be getting less debate, more world travel, and fewer questions in Jersey's government, with the exception of a handful of excellent politicians.

A graph taken from the Guardian gives an indication on how the UK population feels generally about it's politicians. Given that a JEP indicated that 75% of islanders have little confidence in the States it appears a common trend

It would appear that JERSEY is not the only place that is becoming dissatisfied in general with it's leadership.

Boatyboy
« Last Edit: April 19, 2015, 05:53:21 PM by boatyboy »

Offline boatyboy

« Reply #38 on: April 20, 2015, 02:58:58 AM »

Just for clarity, the conversation I had with Mr Dorey was a considerable time before he was raided by police and charged with having obscene videos. I only had the one conversation with him. He was actually very interesting to talk to.

bb

Offline ageofaquarius

« Reply #39 on: April 20, 2015, 03:25:32 AM »
I'm sure Dorey was stitched up, he had the potential to be an honest politican and I somehow don't think that sits comfortable with the big shots. 

Offline boatyboy

« Reply #40 on: April 22, 2015, 03:22:29 AM »
Three Months before the election.

BBC Jersey

18 July 2014

Jersey's early budget shows £31m deficit

Jersey's treasury minister has introduced a budget three months earlier than it would normally be announced showing a £31m deficit.

Senator Philip Ozouf said the 2015 budget was one of for "stability and recovery" and would be debated before the October election.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-jersey-28372938

Jersey election 2014: Results and candidates

15 October 2014

Five months after the election the truth is released

Tuesday 21 April 2015

Bailiwick Express

Revealed: cuts, stealth-taxes and redundancies as States face £135 million deficit

http://www.bailiwickexpress.com/jsy/news/revealed-cuts-stealth-taxes-and-redundancies-planned-states-face-135-million-deficit/?t=i#.VTassUu9vwI

The Government Jersey deserves - democratically elected.

Boatyboy.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2015, 01:52:15 AM by boatyboy »

Offline Chevalier Blanc

« Reply #41 on: April 22, 2015, 08:42:43 PM »
Well ozouf had the purse strings for how many years?   He wasted millions on his own ideas.  Travel expenses £3m by ministers. ozouf now after coming only in sixth place ( bottom of the senators )  only just getting in spends 2 days every week in London and jets around the world. gorst should not have had him as a minister!
They still want to spend £50m on building the glass box!   What F***in planet are they on!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Lets us take a leaf out of Guernsey with people coming out on the streets to show their contempt with the government.

Offline GeeGee

« Reply #42 on: April 22, 2015, 11:58:14 PM »
Chevalier - I could not agree with you more! It is a shame that Senator McLean had to deliver this gloom and doom statement rather than the real perpetrator Philip Ozouf who's spin over the last few years did not deceive many, and now the truth is out there for all to see. Yet judging by his Twitter feed he is still in denial.

Basically PO has put us deep - very deep - in the doo-doo and who are the poor suckers who will suffer for all this? Silly question really because we all know.

I also agree with the Guernsey comment. I do not think they have as much to moan about as we do, but they sure do know when and how to voice their objections and fair play to them. What are people in Jersey afraid of?

I am now seriously considering making every effort to get off this Island as soon as a certain CoI is done and hopefully very well dusted. What is there to stay for?

Offline Fritz

« Reply #43 on: April 23, 2015, 01:51:18 AM »
"We have been in THE ENGINE ROOM surveying THE HORIZON".
Says it all about Ozouf,s grasp of reality.

What horizon would he be surveying from an engine room?
Might as well have said,"We were under the sand looking as far as we could see".

Offline ageofaquarius

« Reply #44 on: April 23, 2015, 01:55:12 AM »
At the hospital yesterday all staff were encouraged to attend a meeting - the gist of it being that there is no money in the pot and redundancies either voluntary or otherwise is on the cards.  This was no open floor, they were telling us that's how its going to be.  I've heard all this before and I have to say management are ineffectual and haven't got a bloody clue, they keep bringing in managers and more managers for what?

As an example, the domestic staff had 3 chargehands 4-5 years ago, now there are 8 - their job is to walk around with clipboards checking the staff have the correct colour trousers on etc.  There are many other examples of too many chiefs. 

Years ago management looked at several new computer systems, the obvious choice was the same system as the GPs used, but as the cost was higher they went for the cheapest option - which has turned out to be an expensive mistake, although management love it because it produces stats, and we all know how management loves stats. 

Then I hear all the big boys from the house went to the grand for lunch - and they still get a pay increase as well. 

I hope that everyone thinks very carefully about who to vote for next election, cause the present encumbrances have let us all down badly.