Author Topic: Spar Shops getting Sparse?  (Read 9806 times)

Offline !LoginProbs

Spar Shops getting Sparse?
« on: January 27, 2012, 04:50:00 PM »
 I Heard this on the St John parish Grapevine yesterday,
that the Spar shops,  Royal Yacht Hotel and Cimandis were in financial dificulties
and being run by the Bank, I know my local Spar has not been topping up its shelves and run out of lots of goods, the staff are different and the manager is supposed to pay the suppliers as they turn up with stock!
Dont Know if its true but maybe someone here has more info?

I do know for definate that a head chap of our treasury has left this sinking ship to work in arab lands
because of CLM House  having big probs,
so not looking good for us lot still clinging to the rock  :(

Offline man in the street

Re: Spar Shops getting Sparse?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2012, 10:58:18 PM »
 i did hear rumour the the yacht was sinking,  but jersey is allways awash with rumours.
 the  spar shop  buy the old birds the bakers in new street and  union street , has no cigarettes or only the odd bod fags left ( last week ).
 mind you  the spar shop is a ripp off , they are my very very last resort .
 what does cimandis sell?

Offline shaun the sheep

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2012, 11:43:07 PM »
Spar are owened by Channel Island Wholesale Group C.I.W.G. Rue Des Pres
Not Cimandis

Offline Fritz

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2012, 01:05:11 AM »
I noticed months ago that the Spar on the inner road wasn,t re-stocking cigarettes.
Stopped on the way to work a few times before Christmas to buy,"Fags and a paper", but they were only selling obscure menthol ciggies that no one ever buys.

Offline danrok

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2012, 02:39:53 AM »
Many hotels seem to be targeting much of their marketing at locals.  That can't be a good sign, and smacks of desperation.

Offline ageofaquarius

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2012, 04:32:00 AM »
Who can honesty afford to shop at Spar

Offline !LoginProbs

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2012, 09:59:55 PM »
Hi Man in the street,
as far as i know Cimandis sells the bread that comes into the shops,
the Spar shop opposite the new (non carparking Park) in David place, has run out of lots of booze, the shelves are looking a bit empty today!

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2012, 12:52:17 AM »
 ive just looked up cimandis, sellers of food stuffs for hotels, restaraunts , bulk sales and  what  passes for bread from ci bakery,  i find it  odd that  waitrose  can bring in  brown bread that if far better and cheaper  than  the  (must  have gold flakes in it) loaf that ci bakery sell.
 so  thanks to choice , i can leave ci bakeries  poor bread (imo) on the shelf .
  we can see france on  a good day, yet fail to produce  a baggette  of french quality.

Offline shortport

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2012, 02:32:40 AM »
I don't think much of Waitrose bread.Try buttering it ,it just falls apart

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2012, 03:07:32 AM »
try warming the butter.
 mind you due to exessive goverment taxation , warming the home for some may not be  happening as  people have less cash in the pocket.

Offline Calimachon

• http://www.amnesty.org.uk/
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2012, 12:37:20 AM »
The trouble with bread these days that you don't find many bakers that don't use soya as part of the proving.

I like to make my own bread but it isn't as good as my parents used to make and I never actually helped them make their bread and don't know there method.  I have purchased the River Cottage Book and Video so I hope to make  better and different types of bread in the future. 

Nothing better than a lovely hard crusty loaf.  I know you can get breadmakers but the loaves they make are a bit small - I know you can purchase larger breadmakers  but if I can get a satisfactory loaf of my own in my oven then  I think that is the best way.

http://astore.amazon.co.uk/rivecott-21/detail/074759533X

http://astore.amazon.co.uk/rivecott-21/detail/B003NEQ7TS
TOMORROW (Noun) = A mystical land where 99% of all human productivity, motivation an achievement is stored

Offline Lokel_Yokel

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2012, 01:09:29 AM »
My local corner shop (not spar) has also had trouble stocking ciggies - they say it's a supplier thing (and seemed quite pissed off about it)......having said that, shelves have been somewhat less well stocked over the last year. Cashflow I guess.
Say No to the Woo!

Offline boatyboy

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2012, 09:07:44 PM »

The owners of Spar have been  " struggling " and many local suppliers will only supply the Spar shops on a cash on delivery basis.

Expect to read later next week in the MSM that Costcutter the UK chain have bought out Jersey's Spar business.

I would suggest that Iceland is having a far bigger impact than given credit for as islanders have far less disposable income. So we have another English non tax paying company making money here, and not paying tax.

The good news is that food like houses is getting cheaper in Jersey.

BB

« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2012, 10:12:51 PM »
 spar shops were a rip off, if you eat  iceland  food out of box i believe that your long term health will suffer( any proccesed food).
 i have yet to find  any good value for money  healthy food ( veg or  fresh fish) .
 mind you  we have along way to go before  we  eat just  rice and  dal( lentils )
 and take a leaf out of the brahmins ( indian high caste religion) where they have one  day of fasting  a week.

Offline Lokel_Yokel

« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2012, 03:56:37 AM »
I would suggest that Iceland is having a far bigger impact than given credit for as islanders have far less disposable income. So we have another English non tax paying company making money here, and not paying tax.

The good news is that food like houses is getting cheaper in Jersey.

BB

I was a late convert to Iceland - whilst I agree that eating only out of the Freezer cabinet ain't wholesome they do have some great prices on normal stuff. 15 eggs for £1.50! (even if probably half that in the UK).......albeit perhaps telling that the Fresh produce section is somewhat limited.....

But what really pisses me off about Iceland are the checkouts (New Era) - I don't expect much in Jersey from customer service (I settle on half a grunt, in any language - and Iceland not the worse place), and I can live with bagging up myself (own bags or bought) - but what gets me goat is when the staff huff and puff because I can't be in two places at the same time (emptying trolley and bagging up.....and in a way that means things don't get crushed - especially when stuff has been heaped on top of each other. and no, I don't pay before bagging up at least enough so when the next shoppers goods start turning up they don't get mixed up). and that is easy for Iceland to solve not only to help me as a customer, but also to increase throughput for the tills - staff to bag up for you and the checkouts themselves having dual lanes (like in the old days at Grandfare!).....it's not as if all the tills are ever always manned.

Rant over  ;D
Say No to the Woo!