Author Topic: Haut de la Garenne and Jersey Adventures!  (Read 10105 times)

Offline Fritz

Re: Haut de la Garenne and Jersey Adventures!
« Reply #45 on: January 11, 2012, 12:13:38 AM »
So what exactly, do the ,"Abuse Survivors", want done with HDLG?

ole razzy

« Reply #46 on: January 11, 2012, 03:53:59 AM »
That has never been made public so far as I'm aware. But isn't the point that they would have at least liked to have been asked thier views - seeing as that had already been promised by a government minister.  :o

Offline Chevalier Blanc

« Reply #47 on: January 11, 2012, 03:33:35 PM »
What ever took place at HDLG it is not the building to blame so with such a very good granite built property it should not be knocked down but used and in this case for a very good idea. Should bring in some tourist who are looking for something different and there is the locals and business who wish to take part in what they have to offer. I mean look what went on in Gorey Castle do you want to pull that down?

Offline zoompad

« Reply #48 on: January 11, 2012, 03:57:46 PM »
I have got a good idea for a very good and fitting use for Haut de la Garenne. It should be used as a prison for child abusers.

Offline zoompad

« Reply #49 on: January 11, 2012, 04:02:43 PM »
Or, the Jersey Senate chamber should be rehoused there. I think that would be an even better idea, because the ghosts of the children who didn't make it out of there alive are probably haunting the place, and it might have a sobering and beneficial effect on the politicians  to sit in such a place and contemplate the human cost of child abuse cover ups.

Offline GeeGee

« Reply #50 on: January 12, 2012, 12:24:09 AM »
CB - for once I totally disagree with you. No - it is not the building to blame, but they pulled down the house of Fred and Rosemary West and again, no comparison can be made with Gorey Castle or the War Tunnels.

It is indeed a beautiful building, but for people I know who had the misfortune to be there it evokes quite horrific memories believe you me.

Whatever suggestions the abuse survivors put forward are on record and if Mr PO ever keeps his word they will see the light of day. That said, I mooted an idea at the start of this posting that would probably be acceptable to all, and give deprived children something back. Of course this would not suit the SoJ as it would not be a money making commercial venture.

So CB, in respect of those still living and those who are no longer with us, they should have input and not just see it being used for jolly times, when it has seen such sad times.

Offline Fritz

« Reply #51 on: January 12, 2012, 12:35:18 AM »
CB - for once I totally disagree with you. No - it is not the building to blame, but they pulled down the house of Fred and Rosemary West and again, no comparison can be made with Gorey Castle or the War Tunnels.

It is indeed a beautiful building, but for people I know who had the misfortune to be there it evokes quite horrific memories believe you me.

Whatever suggestions the abuse survivors put forward are on record and if Mr PO ever keeps his word they will see the light of day. That said, I mooted an idea at the start of this posting that would probably be acceptable to all, and give deprived children something back. Of course this would not suit the SoJ as it would not be a money making commercial venture.

So CB, in respect of those still living and those who are no longer with us, they should have input and not just see it being used for jolly times, when it has seen such sad times.

So how many,"Abuse survivors",are there who should be involved in deciding what happens to the property?
What expertise do they have on planning and economics?
If someone claims to have had a bad experience in The General Hospital, should they be allowed to have a say in the Building,s future?
What about schools?
Offices?
Shops?
Houses?

Offline Chevalier Blanc

« Reply #52 on: January 12, 2012, 03:54:44 PM »
The building did not harm them. As for Fred West who would have lived in that house today if it were still there? They found bodies there but not at HDLG that is not to say that there are no bodies but just not found any.
HDLG is being used to sleep and feed people while they are staying in the Island. It is a hostel.
Yes i realise that the victims have a case but it should not be against the building but against the people who let all this happen, so bring on the public enquiry and i mean public! No stone unturned! Get to the bottom of who and what went on there and who is to blame not just for HDLG but all the other cases that have been put to one side hidden ( victoria college ) etc.

Offline Calimachon

• http://www.amnesty.org.uk/
« Reply #53 on: January 12, 2012, 06:17:33 PM »

so bring on the public enquiry and i mean public! No stone unturned! Get to the bottom of who and what went on there and who is to blame not just for HDLG but all the other cases that have been put to one side hidden ( victoria college ) etc.

Amen!  to that!  A very rigorous public enquiry regarding all the cases.  Also who dropped the cases and who didn't protect these poor children who were working within the Civil Service at the time and who may now have gone on to pastures new!
TOMORROW (Noun) = A mystical land where 99% of all human productivity, motivation an achievement is stored