Author Topic: Haut de la Garenne and Jersey Adventures!  (Read 10104 times)

Offline Calimachon

• http://www.amnesty.org.uk/
Haut de la Garenne and Jersey Adventures!
« on: January 03, 2012, 03:54:01 PM »
Join Jersey Adventures and have an event at Haut de la Garenne?

http://www.jerseyadventures.com/?events

Cali
TOMORROW (Noun) = A mystical land where 99% of all human productivity, motivation an achievement is stored

Offline GeeGee

Re: Haut de la Garenne and Jersey Adventures!
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2012, 06:07:48 PM »
Well spotted Cali - seems they have already got 2012 planned and ready to go, when last year Ozouf was saying (after he reneged on his promise to the Careleavers to have their input into the future use of Haut de la Garenne) that it was an experiment for a year, and then there would be further consultation.

Consultation with who???? As the States are obviously charging a pretty high rent for this building of horrors, perhaps some of this money could be used to hasten the long ongoing compensation claims of the survivors.

And Mr Ozouf, yet again, you have broken your word.

Offline Calimachon

• http://www.amnesty.org.uk/
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2012, 08:16:24 PM »
I have been asked if I wanted to attend a regular event at HDLG and I refused as I didn't want to frequent an establishment that meant misery to so many people.  It is not this particular persons fault, who is running the particular event I wanted to go to,  but unless we make a stand no one will take any notice.  I put my money where  my mouth is and I will not go into that building.

Alas not everyone thinks the way I do and it looks as though I will upset someone with  my determined ways but 'Am I bothered', not in the least. 

I am of the age where I am looking forward to my husbands retirement.  He is looking forward to it too!  One ball and chain removed in approx 20 days time.  He will get rid of the other ball and chain when I am dead :).

Happy New Year folks.

Cali :)

« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 08:18:13 PM by Calimachon »
TOMORROW (Noun) = A mystical land where 99% of all human productivity, motivation an achievement is stored

Offline GeeGee

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2012, 12:26:43 AM »
Well let us hope that is not for quite some time yet!! Don't know how hubby feels though! :)

Good on you gal for sticking to your guns. The JCLA members had some good thoughts on future use of the building, none of which was even considered, and some of which could have benefited deprived children in some small way.

No recompense for those who really suffered there, but not even considered.

Like you Cali my thoughts about that place are much the same.  I live very close to the building, and if I ever walk past there it makes me feel quite sick. However, that said we must not forget that that was not the only place of abuse for Jersey children.

Bring on this Committee of Inquiry asap.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 01:29:05 AM by GeeGee »

Offline boatyboy

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2012, 03:44:02 AM »

Land and buildings should be used for improving the quality of life of the living islanders.

That is why I am against graveyards, and public buildings remaining empty and neglected. There are plenty of uses calling, especially after the men’s refuge, desperate news last week.

I agree with GeeGee there needs to be a proper enquiry to end the ongoing HDLG controversy which is tarnishing Jerseys international reputation due to the world wide internet and excellent objective detailed reporting by citizens media. If the carpet has to be lifted to get to the truth by the States then so be it, whatever crawls out will be dealt with.

Finally for all its sad history HDLG is just a building and many members of PJ have written about diversification away from banking.

This organisation is offering an alternative.  Jersey will need more many more as finance slows.   

BB

Offline zoompad

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2012, 07:08:00 AM »
HDLG may well be a children's graveyard for all anyone knows. If the police had been allowed to do their investigations without harrassment obstruction and death threats, and the forensic testing had been carried out in a correct manner they might have been able to tell us what really happened at that sad place.

Offline danrok

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2012, 11:43:54 PM »
Just a shame that, what went on there was not investigated decades ago.  There would have been a greater chance of prosecuting the abusers who worked there.

Given the endless, daily abuse which took place, there must have been senior civil servants, and politicians who were well aware of it, and chose to do nothing about it.  They are just as bad, if not worse than the abusers, in my view.

Offline man in the street

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2012, 11:46:31 PM »
i did hear that painel( the beast of jersey) was the handyman  and father christmas up there.
maybe zoompad could confirm this.
 if he was then this is good enough for me , the most unsuitable person to  be near children of any age.
 you would not leave ronald biggs in charge of a bank( no disrespect to  ronald biggs ).
 at least the catholic church  had the balls to stand up  and be counted .
 i was at school with  aubin  who was one of the wards at h de le g .
 imho  aubin was damaged before  he came to my attention at school.
 i met him at gorey bus stop one day ( years latter), he acknowleged  me , and told me he was gay , and  maybe i wanted to beat him up, he then went on to tell me of the emotional baggage he was carrying  around . what was said  , i cannot  remember , it was  years ago.
 i told him  he must speak up. there were other  people  at school ( misfits is a harsh word , but i know  no other) who i never  had sight of again , till i worked at saint saviours hospital.
 and discovered where they had  been .
 maybe the truth will never be out , and it will be come  a collection  of hearsay stories , like the  slave workers of the occupation in the walls .
  i would of liked to see the whole place  bulldozed and turned in to a cemetry.
 some of the people i know  who  where there before going to portland borstal ( some now dead )
 would say destroy the place .
 if one person  passed through that building and made a good life in jersey , come on  here and tell me different.

Offline Fritz

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2012, 12:14:21 AM »
Man in the street," if one person  passed through that building and made a good life in jersey , come on  here and tell me different."

I know a few, now successful business men, who are pursuing compensation claims.

Offline Bentos

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2012, 12:26:28 AM »
Zoompad you allege that there are children buried, can you please give us the name of any of these "missing"residents that you think are interred?

Offline Mark Forskitt

• A View from the West
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2012, 12:36:26 AM »
I have been asked if I wanted to attend a regular event at HDLG and I refused as I didn't want to frequent an establishment that meant misery to so many people.  It is not this particular persons fault, who is running the particular event I wanted to go to,  but unless we make a stand no one will take any notice.  I put my money where  my mouth is and I will not go into that building.

Me too

Offline ageofaquarius

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2012, 01:34:49 AM »
I know a few who called it home during the war and were glad to have a home and have fond memories. Likewise a friend whose parents rejected him was also homed there, other than suffering a lack of education he is a sound member of society,  a good father and runs a business. I'm sure there are many others.  I'm not denying not bad things happened there, but I believe it was a period in the early 60's when it got nasty. 

Offline GeeGee

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2012, 01:52:56 AM »
Rest assured Ageofaquarius I know of people who were there prior to the 60's and it was not exactly 'hunky-dorey' then.

Of course there will be those who came through the home and experiences with no bad affects. But, we must bear in mind that abusers have their 'chosen' victims, maybe the more vulnerable children. Not all residents will have suffered the terrible abuse that some did, or bear the scars that they do.

My thoughts were from a very successful project that was in Worcestershire, in the heart of the countryside, offering breaks to children from deprived families from inner city areas, who never had the opportunity of seeing the countryside or the seaside. It was based on a large farm where the children could interact with animals and experience pleasure from a side of life they had never seen.

What a wonderful opportunity it would have been for the States of Jersey to give something back to children after what they had taken away from so many. But no, that would never occur to the powers that be (Mr Ozouf take note). Rather than have a commercial enterprise there and make a few pennies from the rental whatever it may be.

Good on you Cali and Mark for having the courage of your convictions.

« Last Edit: January 05, 2012, 01:56:01 AM by GeeGee »

Offline danrok

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2012, 03:09:56 AM »
Zoompad you allege that there are children buried, can you please give us the name of any of these "missing"residents that you think are interred?

How many of these children do you suppose have passports and birth certificates?
http://www.i-indiaonline.com/sc_crisis_theproblem.htm

Offline Bentos

« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2012, 03:15:17 AM »
How many of these children do you suppose have passports and birth certificates?
http://www.i-indiaonline.com/sc_crisis_theproblem.htm

Do you actually see this as a valid comparison?