Author Topic: USA stops US$60M payment in light of Palestine's entry to UNESCO  (Read 2122 times)

Offline Calimachon

• http://www.amnesty.org.uk/
USA stops US$60M payment in light of Palestine's entry to UNESCO
« on: November 02, 2011, 12:58:57 PM »
The USA punishes UNESCO for allowing Palestine to join UNESCO.  The concern is that it creates tensions!  There concern is that this could exacerbate the environment that the USA is working to!

This video can say more than a thousand words in a newspaper report is able towards.  The journalist was reprimanded as being polemic at the end of the discourse.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEGuvuSe0q4

:o Cali
« Last Edit: November 02, 2011, 01:06:49 PM by Calimachon »
TOMORROW (Noun) = A mystical land where 99% of all human productivity, motivation an achievement is stored

Offline Calimachon

Re: USA stops US$60M payment in light of Palestine's entry to UNESCO
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2011, 04:17:39 PM »
As an addition for those not accustomed to UNESCO aims I attach a URL from Wikipedia on the subject:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UNESCO

A person I know and like very much argues that Palestine is not a State and, therefore, should not have been admitted to UNESCO because from her viewpoint only States are allowed to enter.  I beg to differ for the reason below taken from the Widipedia URL:

QUOTE:
Member states
Main article: Member states of UNESCO

As of October 2011[update], UNESCO counts 195 member states and 8 associate members.[46] Some members are not independent states and some members have additional National Organizing Committees from some of their dependent territories.[47] UNESCO state parties are all United Nations member states except for Cook Islands, Niue and Palestine.[48][49]
UNQUOTE

TOMORROW (Noun) = A mystical land where 99% of all human productivity, motivation an achievement is stored

Offline man in the street

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2011, 10:38:41 PM »
  america  imho , always sides with israel,  and  my personal veiw is that the palastinians  have been treated badly over the years , whilst the west has turned a blind eye  to all.
  hopefully  as palastine  has now been  taken notice of , the  middle east may improve .
 glad they let the palastinian  prisoners out  , too.

Offline Calimachon

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2011, 10:41:21 AM »
As usual the USA know how to 'Chew Gum and Kick Ass!'.  A strange way to attempt peace-keeping or further human rights if you ask me.

Palestinians have suffered years of abuse going back prior to the First World War.  Many ended up in Saudi Arabia where they are still third class citizens because they were never given papers other than that of refugee status.  We don't know how the other half live do we?

The reader may ponder upon why it is important to know what is going on in this region or with regard to this topic.  Well, as I am sure you are already aware, we should consider that the Middle East is a powder keg and if there is likely to be another World War it is likely to stem from the Israeli/Palestinian; the El Quaeda/Christian conflict or a bit of both.   

Cali :'(

Offline Mark Forskitt

• A View from the West
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2011, 02:00:43 PM »
The other real tension in the area at the moment is water rights. Much water it the region for drinking and irrigation comes from rives that flow through numerous countries.,  The upstream abstractors are adversely impacting those downstream and without sufficient water there will be conflict, that just a fact of history and human nature.

Offline Calimachon

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2011, 02:30:53 PM »
The other real tension in the area at the moment is water rights. Much water it the region for drinking and irrigation comes from rives that flow through numerous countries.,  The upstream abstractors are adversely impacting those downstream and without sufficient water there will be conflict, that just a fact of history and human nature.

Thank you for bringing the matter back to basics.  Of course, you are right.  Water is one of the most important things in the region.  Are there any sites in existance in order to view any statistics on this subject?  Not having studied the geography of the region very well I can't claim to know who has the best natural resources for water.  I do remember a teacher friend coming back from a visit to the area and saying how much more clued up the Israeli's were regarding the use of water and irrigation when viewing from the banks of the river (I presume the River Jordan) from the country Jordan.

Cali 

Offline Chevalier Blanc

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2011, 03:03:45 PM »
In Eilat Israel they have 2 desalination plants for their fresh water. That is the only source of water for them and that is why they have 2 just in case of 1 failing. They have all the water they need for living including swimming pools and for their crops. Imagine if desalination plants were put where water is very very scarce that would be cheaper then just pouring money in the country all the time, just pay for the running of the plant. That way the money that we give right now will not go to the leader of these countries for his military power.

Offline Calimachon

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2011, 04:04:50 PM »
In Eilat Israel they have 2 desalination plants for their fresh water. That is the only source of water for them and that is why they have 2 just in case of 1 failing. They have all the water they need for living including swimming pools and for their crops. Imagine if desalination plants were put where water is very very scarce that would be cheaper then just pouring money in the country all the time, just pay for the running of the plant. That way the money that we give right now will not go to the leader of these countries for his military power.

That is true CB!  Give people the tools is a good idea!  That would appear to be one of the policies behind 'Red Nose' day that I have read about in the past.

Cali