Author Topic: Sir Philip Bailhache  (Read 16256 times)

Offline Dundee

Re: Sir Philip Bailhache
« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2012, 01:17:42 AM »
Actually I see it slightly differently. The states voted under the last Planning Minister Freddie Cohen to change 22 hectares of green zone fields, under pressure from Deputy Terry Le Main to development land so that retirement homes could be built.

Months later Ex Minister Cohen said that actually the need was not as urgent as first thought.

Let us see the system work the other way. All the States have to do is pass a proposition ( law ) stating that because a building on a plot has been left to go derelict. There should be no presumption that further building or extension will be allowed. Why should it only work one way?

This would then leave Plemont headland mostly green and save the States using taxpayers money to purchase it leaving it at basically a low value. Further if the derelict building is not made fit for human use after five years it must be demolished completely.

bb

Plans have been lodged more than once and so the changing of the goal posts would not work, especially as the department have already asked the developer to undertake a number of tasks under the planning procedure, that they have done this and the States have sat on it is a disgrace, the continuing indecisions by Ministers is not what they are there for.
The National Trust tried to raise the money and they failed miserably and diverted the monies to other tasks, so the public and the National Trust have shown they are not willing to purchase the land.

Offline boatyboy

« Reply #31 on: June 23, 2012, 02:12:46 AM »
Jersey's Assistant Chief Minister says islanders would need to support the idea of breaking away from the UK in the form of a referendum.

Senator Sir Philip Bailhache is not advocating independence, but he insists it is something we need to be prepared for.

He said, "There are many small countries - not just in the world but in Europe, which are considerably smaller than us, which manage to cope with sovereignty. If it should become in our interests to break the ties with the UK then I think we should be ready to do that."

Senator Bailhache's comments come as a constitutional review of the Channel Island's relationship with the UK is underway.

http://therightofreply.blogspot.co.uk/2012/06/bailhache-still-fighting-for-his-own.html

Part of Senator Bailhaches speech at the Institute of Directors' lunch in Jersey. 17th April 2012

Last year a small department with responsibility for international affairs was set up within the Chief Minister’s Department and an Assistant Minister, the then Senator Cohen, with accountability for that department was appointed. After the elections I was appointed by the Chief Minister to fulfil that role. So Jersey now has a small department of 7 officials, including a number of young graduates, to look after Jersey’s international interests.

If we cannot achieve those kinds of changes, then Jersey has a stark choice. We can reconcile ourselves to being, as I put it recently, a satellite of the UK, always toeing the line of UK interests, and accepting for our industries and businesses a strait jacket that would inhibit innovation and initiative. Or we could take the comparatively small step of taking responsibility for our destiny as an independent state. For my part, I am not in favour of being a satellite, but I also think that a sensible and mutually satisfactory solution could be found if the UK were to place greater trust in the Channel Islands to conduct their international affairs properly, diplomatically and with good sense.

http://www.businesslife.co/Commentary.aspx?id=speech-by-senator-sir-philip-bailhache-at-the-institute-of-directors-lunch-in-jersey

Some of Jersey's large States departments are in absolute disarray, name your own favourite. Get the hospital waiting lists down, the public sector spending under control, the childrens services up to scratch, the schools at least keeping pace with the UK benchmark for quality, and the TTS fixing the roads in a wealthy offshore finance centre, lets not talk about the immigration problem or the mess that is called the Social Security department sending out reminders to hundreds of businesses that have already paid. The duel roles of the Bailliff deemed as conflicted and illegal by the European Court.

You are truly having a laugh Sir when you say, if the UK were to place greater trust in the Channel Islands to conduct their international affairs properly, we can't run our internal affairs properly.

bb

« Last Edit: June 23, 2012, 02:29:47 AM by boatyboy »

Offline Dundee

« Reply #32 on: June 23, 2012, 09:14:02 PM »
On the other side what help have we had from the UK, they are not concerned about any difficulties and issues we may have. We are a tax avoidance centre and that is the big issue, nothing more or less.

In an ideal world we would be part of the UK and EU in full and not a bit on the side.

I doubt if there will be much change in the coming years unless Mr Cameron has the balls to stop tax avoidance which is something he has benefited from in a number of ways.

I wonder how much the UK will value the territorial waters and shoreline around the Island that they own and let to the island?

Offline Fritz

« Reply #33 on: June 23, 2012, 11:55:12 PM »
Why not declare Independence, do a ,"Grand Fenwick", and declare war on the USA/UK.
China would leap at the chance of having its own equivalent of , "Airstrip 1".
I reckon the Chinese would pay us billions every year just to baby-sit a few nuclear war-heads.
Then the finance industry wouldn't, be the only show in town.
It would also give the TA something to do.

Offline rico sorda

• locked & loaded lets rock rsx
« Reply #34 on: June 24, 2012, 06:57:15 AM »
Why not declare Independence, do a ,"Grand Fenwick", and declare war on the USA/UK.
China would leap at the chance of having its own equivalent of , "Airstrip 1".
I reckon the Chinese would pay us billions every year just to baby-sit a few nuclear war-heads.
Then the finance industry wouldn't, be the only show in town.
It would also give the TA something to do.

That has got to be one of the best comments I have read in a long time. Dundee, you could even start up a jersey peace movement  ;) ;) Get the old dungarees on with some old skool 80's placards..
one ban away from oblivion rsx

Offline Dundee

« Reply #35 on: June 24, 2012, 09:05:39 PM »

Offline boatyboy

« Reply #36 on: June 27, 2012, 04:46:23 AM »
The Guardian.

Jersey threatens to break with UK over tax backlash
Island should be ready to become independent, says senior minister after political attacks on finance industry

Nice one Phil,

You're timing is incredibly poor, after the Jimmy Carr story and Standard Chartered Jersey Ltd all over the internet.

In fact as I mentioned above in a post,  Jersey is an almighty mess sort that out first. Goodness me, it normally takes a year or so before a some new politicians ego's become so big that he/she loses touch with realty, how long have you been in office again.

Message to CM Gorst, if you really are the Chief Minister will you please take control of those pretenders who think they are.

By the way fellow PJ members and readers, read the comments below the guardian article they are a hoot, but not if you live in Jersey after Senator Bailhaches interview with the Guardian.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2012/jun/26/jersey-threatens-independence-tax-backlash

BB

Offline Calimachon

• http://www.amnesty.org.uk/
« Reply #37 on: June 27, 2012, 02:18:25 PM »
Does this  man think he is honestly talking for the 'people' of Jersey.  What on earth gives him the right to speak on behalf of the Jersey people before he has had the courtesy of discussing this matter in the States of Jersey or having consulted with the people by way of a Referendum.

Cali
TOMORROW (Noun) = A mystical land where 99% of all human productivity, motivation an achievement is stored

Offline Dundee

« Reply #38 on: June 27, 2012, 02:28:39 PM »
The article does state that the people would probably not be in favour of this.

Offline Chevalier Blanc

« Reply #39 on: June 27, 2012, 02:41:27 PM »
Just imagine if we did go independent, where do you think bailhache would be in regard to his position within our government.
Give you just one guess.
President comes to mind and then lookout because the establishment party would run wild with power going to their heads.
Long may we stay just as we are with the safety net of being within the UK.

Offline Chevalier Blanc

« Reply #40 on: June 27, 2012, 08:04:02 PM »
If we went independent like bailhache is saying ,would he hand back his knighthood?

Offline wakey

« Reply #41 on: June 27, 2012, 10:41:33 PM »
We are moving closer towards the politics of Sicily.

Offline danrok

« Reply #42 on: June 27, 2012, 11:47:10 PM »
I guess Bailhache doesn't believe in democracy?

Since when did he become King of Jersey with the authority to mouth off this nonsense to national newspapers?

Offline GeeGee

« Reply #43 on: June 28, 2012, 12:11:36 AM »
We are moving closer towards the politics of Sicily.

Well we already have some of the mafioso in situ in the States Chamber I fear. What the hell is happening to this place?

Offline boatyboy

« Reply #44 on: June 28, 2012, 12:13:47 AM »
Of course Senator Bailhache is entitled to a different viewpoint, but to hijack first the electoral reform committee in a completely undemocratic way. One would have thought after debate within the Jersey assembly and the circle of Ministers reaching agreement then a statement may be issued. We have another hijack I think.

However danrok makes a good point. Little sign of democracy here just I am the leader, do as you are told.

How does CM Gorst feel ? Is Sentor Bailhache going to get a warning, a strong discussion with other ministers on how to run a democratic Government, a red card, or as the people of Jersey are normally treated -  complete  silence - its none of your business anyway.

BB
« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 03:09:50 PM by boatyboy »