Author Topic: Jersey Live a major success attracting tourists.  (Read 2991 times)

Offline boatyboy

Jersey Live a major success attracting tourists.
« on: September 04, 2011, 08:30:54 PM »
Excellent news for Jersey and the hard working organisers. The Jersey Live Music Festival is a success but let us not forget the Jersey International Motoring Festival sponsored by Credit Suisse also brings in visitors and is growing year on year. Both are truly excellent for Jersey on many different levels.

The view that Jersey Tourism should be shrunk losing expensive rents, executives and managers and just have an information bureau and website. The large amount of money saved could then help  fund start up  schemes where private money and time is also invested.

Well done to the organisers, what next ? annual sailing events, bigger and better folk and other concerts how about making the fisherman's water Carnival into a two day event complete with gourmet local fish festival for the foodies. 

JEP

THE tourist industry is getting a massive boost this weekend as more than 2,000 people from the UK and beyond attend the Jersey Live music festival.

http://www.thisisjersey.com/2011/09/03/jersey-live-music-to-tourisms-ears/

Classic & Vintage Motor Racing Club of Jersey.

The Credit Suisse Jersey International Motoring Festival is the largest annual motoring event in the Channel Islands, comprising competitive sprint and hillclimbs for classic & vintage cars and motorcycles.

The event is run by the Classic & Vintage Motor Racing Club of Jersey.

http://www.classicandvintagejersey.co.uk/events/jersey-international-motoring-festival.aspx

Offline danrok

Re: Jersey Live a major success attracting tourists.
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2011, 10:01:43 PM »
Marketing executives, and the like, are definitely not driving force in this industry.  They get paid a bundle, along with a pension pot regardless of how much, or how little they achieve.

Full credit to those who take the initiative, and work hard to create these events, most likely putting themselves at financial risk until their endeavors are successful.

I think motorsport draws competitors to the island on many occasions throughout the year, and is generally organised by volunteers.

Offline Fritz

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2011, 11:05:24 PM »
Jersey Live needs an onsite camping facility if it wants to compete with other festivals.
Well done to the organisers over the last few years, but they need more support in future to create the true festival weekender.

Offline Calimachon

• http://www.amnesty.org.uk/
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2011, 11:26:22 PM »
I wish Jersey Live all the success and a trouble-free future.  They had a few shaky years at the start and they have had to jump through hoops to get people on side for them to continue.  I would hate to have to work out their Health and Safety documents.

Cali ;)
TOMORROW (Noun) = A mystical land where 99% of all human productivity, motivation an achievement is stored

Offline boatyboy

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2012, 10:16:22 PM »

Terrific news for music lovers, and the venue now being advertised is Peoples Park. Joan Armatrading is a talented singer / songwriter and only one of the talented line up. Well done Jersey Live promoters for taking the initiative. 

Quote.

Folklore is the latest addition to Jersey’s live music calendar from the team behind Jersey Live, small and compact with a capacity of just 5,000 the team are planning to bring an eclectic and imaginative bill featuring alternative live music, comedy, theatre, poetry and film in relatively intimate surrounds, across two stages at an as-yet unconfirmed site in Jersey on the weekend of June 30th and July 1st.

http://www.safeconcerts.com/news/2012/feb/6793-joan-armatrading-is-the-first-act-confirmed.asp

bb

Offline ageofaquarius

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2012, 04:25:07 AM »
I really want to see Van the man but a few things bother me before I part with £80....will he be sober enough and will he turn up, I don't expect him to smile and say anything warming like hi Jersey glad to be here...but his one hell of a touchy artist. 

Offline boatyboy

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2012, 11:42:14 PM »

Wow ageofaquaries I did not realise the tickets were that expensive, I would have thought about £40 quid.

Older talent they are, and real artists but for my girl fiend and myself £160 is a lot of money if the tickets are £80 each  :(

Again its costing a lot to put on and fly them over etc, lets see if people are prepared to pay the price asked. Personally I would not.

bb

Offline ageofaquarius

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2012, 12:31:18 AM »
£80 is what you would pay for an average meal out and a bottle of wine, a cab home, another £20...so put in that light its not much, and this is Van Morrison.  but £80 for perhaps a windswept wet day with an uncertain artist....not sure. Van is surely worth £80, the man is a legend, but you get there and you cannot take anything in, even a bottle of water in case its laced with vodka, or your own picnic, therefore you are obliged to buy what's on offer, an overpriced burger and a 1/2 hour queue.  Maybe I'm an old git now and cannot be arsed with the nonsense.  But what if he doesn't even turn up....it has been know you know....one hell of a touchy miserable git. a highly talented one, but still a miserable git.   No doubt John Cooper Clarke will lighten thing up, a very funny guy, but is he on the same bill?

I would really like to go but there are so many ifs and buts in going to an outdoor live concert in Jersey, the police presence for a start - people listening to live music hardly need to be policed!! if Van does an encore, will there be a riot?

Offline boatyboy

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2012, 07:41:15 PM »
Well done to the Folklore concert organisers, obviously an enjoyable evening was had my the vast majority.

Again we see private enterprise attracting top names, and running business the way it should, resulting in a win for the concert goers, a win for the hotel industry having bed nights sold to the entertainers and putting Jersey on a stage publicly in a good light after recent adverse MSM articles.

BB

Offline Dave Sanglotte

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2012, 12:35:01 AM »
I really want to see Van the man but a few things bother me before I part with £80....will he be sober enough and will he turn up, I don't expect him to smile and say anything warming like hi Jersey glad to be here...but his one hell of a touchy artist.

Saw him two years ago at the Hop Farm festival and he was top-notch, pretty much at his best I would say, including his voice.

Offline ageofaquarius

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2012, 02:22:42 AM »
All went well, it was a fabulous event and Ray Davies a real blast, everyone had a good time so well done. And that fabulous tent was the one and only John Peel tent from Glastonbury, a lovely touch. Van only did two popular numbers, but hey his still a legend.  John C Clarke was surely stoned, but wouldn't expect him any other way. All the acts were pure class. 

Offline imacrappaud

« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2012, 03:03:43 AM »
Although I didnt go to the Folklore festival I did hear that Van the Man is quite the male Diva, only drinking mineral water that was from New Zealand being one of his Divaish requests, it may be just a rumour but it did come from a "source" close to the festival. I wonder what other requests he had if true, personally I think he should be grateful to get a paycheck as he is getting on a bit.

I would prefer to go back to the old Blue Note afternoons and listen to Two Minutes Mr Smith banging out his tunes, oh I miss those afternoon booze ups!!!