Author Topic: Removal of PSV badges those convicted of careless/ dangerous driving  (Read 4422 times)

Offline lara.luke

I would like a proposition to see that any PSV driver who is convicted of careless or dangerous driving to have their PSV license removed from them. They are supposed to be professional drivers licensed to carry members of the public in their vehicles.
Just for today do not anger

Offline Dylan

• HELP!
Re: Removal of PSV badges those convicted of careless/ dangerous driving
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2011, 02:57:31 PM »
I agree, but would add convicted - or busted by the bus Company, three strikes and you are out etc!
I nearly got roaded by a Telecoms vehicle who undertook me on the avenue when I was doing 40. he must have been doing 60 and he shot the light. I was so angry (forgot my chill pill that morning) that I phoned the Transport manager at Telecoms. He was offended that a member of the public would telephone him to ask why his drivers had permission to drive without Insurance and his authority to break the law. I told him thanks for his lack of support and that the recording would be sent to his boss.
A few days later I had a call to say that the matter had been dealt with.
!dereggub si draobyek ym kniht I

Offline RC

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2011, 03:57:48 PM »
I would like a proposition to see that any PSV driver who is convicted of careless or dangerous driving to have their PSV license removed from them. They are supposed to be professional drivers licensed to carry members of the public in their vehicles.

I think loss of livelihood for first conviction is a bit harsh. I was once hit by a cab going through a red light at cheapside and the driver denied the light was red. I went to court and he was convicted. He suffered the court fine, loss of earnings for that day in court, big expensive legal fees as he was stupid enough to hire a useless young lawyer and I imagine his insurance costs will have gone up.
Overall, I thought that was a reasonable fair result. Loss of livelihood would have been a bit severe.

However, I would agree with a "three strikes and your out" approach.

Last week I was on a bus as my car was in the garage and I could believe how bad the driver was. At every bus stop he seemed to pretend that he wasn't going to stop only to slam on the brakes at the very last minute and swerve into the stop. Near First Tower, an oncoming lorry was near the centre of the road, but still plenty of room, and he again slammed on the brakes and shouted out at the top of his voice "F**k, F**k, F**k. The little old ladies at the front of the bus did not look amused.

Offline Calimachon

• http://www.amnesty.org.uk/
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2011, 06:19:27 PM »

Last week I was on a bus as my car was in the garage and I could believe how bad the driver was. At every bus stop he seemed to pretend that he wasn't going to stop only to slam on the brakes at the very last minute and swerve into the stop. Near First Tower, an oncoming lorry was near the centre of the road, but still plenty of room, and he again slammed on the brakes and shouted out at the top of his voice "F**k, F**k, F**k. The little old ladies at the front of the bus did not look amused.

I was attempting to be a very green citizen a few years ago and was going to work on a bus instead of getting the car out.  (At every bus stop he seemed to pretend that he wasn't going to stop only to slam on the brakes at the very last minute and swerve into the stop. ).  Put me off using the buses again altogether.  I have a bus pass now may have to use them one day but not too soon I hope.

I agree with the three strike approach as well regarding the PSV badges.

Cali :)
TOMORROW (Noun) = A mystical land where 99% of all human productivity, motivation an achievement is stored

Offline Fritz

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2011, 02:53:33 AM »
The ,"Three strikes", approach to professional drivers is nonsense. They are supposed to be fully trained, "Professionals".
If they are convicted of bad or careless driving they should be sacked.

"Simples".

Offline lara.luke

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2011, 03:39:55 AM »
I think loss of livelihood for first conviction is a bit harsh. I was once hit by a cab going through a red light at cheapside and the driver denied the light was red. I went to court and he was convicted. He suffered the court fine, loss of earnings for that day in court, big expensive legal fees as he was stupid enough to hire a useless young lawyer and I imagine his insurance costs will have gone up.
Overall, I thought that was a reasonable fair result. Loss of livelihood would have been a bit severe.

However, I would agree with a "three strikes and your out" approach.

I happen to not think it harsh (loosing their livelihood) my daughter was knocked over by a convicted careless driving taxi driver, she had a fractured spine, fractured pelvis, broken nose, multiple fractures of her upper jaw (had to be wired), lost a tooth - over £1000 dental bills we have paid to date - still ongoing, not to mention countless cuts and bruises and glass being embedded in her elbow, only recently removed. There were 3 other girls also seriously injured by this professional driver.

The ,"Three strikes", approach to professional drivers is nonsense. They are supposed to be fully trained, "Professionals".
If they are convicted of bad or careless driving they should be sacked.

"Simples".

Exactly

Offline lara.luke

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2011, 04:36:55 AM »
I should clarify this point - he was convicted of careless driving for the incident involving my daughter - however he is still entrusted with transporting members of the public.

Offline Dylan

• HELP!
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2011, 02:46:28 PM »
I know of an ex States employee who due to age is retired and is now a taxi driver. He has lied about his vision and cannot see beyond his nose.

Should he be driving?

Offline Chevalier Blanc

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2011, 11:30:28 PM »
Anybody who is a PSV licence holder found guilty of dangerous driving etc should lose their PSV licence for life but be able to drive again for themselves after losing their licence for awhile.
Never mind them pleading that they will lose their livelyhood they should know better. Just the same as someone working in a bank steals some money they will never work again in a bank.

Offline Mark Forskitt

• A View from the West
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2011, 01:22:20 AM »
I know of an ex States employee who due to age is retired and is now a taxi driver. He has lied about his vision and cannot see beyond his nose.

Should he be driving?

No. If you are certain of your facts you should ensure the licensing authorities know.  How would you feel if your acquaintance killed someone because of his deficient eye-sight and you knew you could have averted that by reporting what you know?

Offline Fritz

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2011, 03:22:22 AM »
A crime is a crime.
The fact that the resulting sentence for committing the ,"Crime", might affect the ,"Criminal,s", livelihood shouldn,t come into it.

Offline lara.luke

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2011, 07:21:56 AM »
I also believe the driver I refer to has had 2 brain haemorrhages and other accidents, and today my daughter has found out that as a result of the trauma suffered she is likely to loose all her top teeth. Careless taxi drivers should be banned. Numerous people I know and others refuse to get in his cab, and he has been sent away from jobs. They even sent him to pick up my daughter once, she phoned the company to send another driver as the one they sent had nearly killed her. 

Offline Dylan

• HELP!
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2011, 01:40:11 AM »
A crime is a crime.
The fact that the resulting sentence for committing the ,"Crime", might affect the ,"Criminal,s", livelihood shouldn,t come into it.
I agree Sherrif, life's a bitch, but most States Employees cannot see beyond their noses! ;)

Offline danrok

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2011, 05:41:29 AM »

Should he be driving?

Are you sure?  PSV licence requires a medical test, incuding eye test.

Offline Dylan

• HELP!
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2011, 09:30:10 PM »
He gave my first wife away at the wedding, I know who he is and what he does!