Author Topic: Eating out in the festive season  (Read 2850 times)

Offline ageofaquarius

Eating out in the festive season
« on: December 16, 2010, 01:57:05 AM »
Its that time of the year when we splash out, put on our glad rags and do the traditional 'works do'. Restaurant is booked months in advance deposit paid and menu is chosen weeks before the event, even to how you like your steaks done.  With few exceptions I have to admit that I'm usually left disappointed by the meal. This year I went to a newish venue that chose to serve steaks - the house speciality apparently - on a bread board! Now, may I be so bold as stating I think its style above content - where do those lovely steak juices go but through the wood, so it tends to be dry, the chips are served in a separate bowl, which is not unusual, but there was no place on the board to put them, call me old fashioned and uncool but I like eating from a plate, I'm weird like that.  Apparently it's the latest thing and I'm just being picky - no, I just think its a really stupid way to serve steak.  Anyone else had some daft things served to them in a 'stylish way' ?

Offline Chevalier Blanc

Re: Eating out in the festive season
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2010, 03:34:08 AM »
Not to mention the germs in the wood.

Offline ageofaquarius

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2010, 03:57:42 AM »
yes, I did ponder on that

Offline Calimachon

• http://www.amnesty.org.uk/
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2010, 05:01:04 PM »
Its that time of the year when we splash out, put on our glad rags and do the traditional 'works do'. Restaurant is booked months in advance deposit paid and menu is chosen weeks before the event, even to how you like your steaks done.  With few exceptions I have to admit that I'm usually left disappointed by the meal. This year I went to a newish venue that chose to serve steaks - the house speciality apparently - on a bread board! Now, may I be so bold as stating I think its style above content - where do those lovely steak juices go but through the wood, so it tends to be dry, the chips are served in a separate bowl, which is not unusual, but there was no place on the board to put them, call me old fashioned and uncool but I like eating from a plate, I'm weird like that.  Apparently it's the latest thing and I'm just being picky - no, I just think its a really stupid way to serve steak.  Anyone else had some daft things served to them in a 'stylish way' ?

Well I have been disappointed with quite a few eating establishment in the past.  I don't do the Tennerfest thing, as I hate mooses (spelling?) which are a cheap option for a chef filling up a plate.  I always try to eat at Seymour's establishments or The Potteries where I know the standard is excellent.  Failing those places we eat at home for family meal celebrations and normally use excellent recipes derived from www.rivercottage.com where they wax about real food and where possible growing your own as well.  I can remember great family clan meals in the past when times were hard.  We always had a good time. Sadly not everyone can grow their own but where possible I think it is the best.  If you like cooking and the family are willing to join in then it is not a real chore.

Cali :)

The family that plays together stays together is not far from the truth.

TOMORROW (Noun) = A mystical land where 99% of all human productivity, motivation an achievement is stored

Offline Dundee

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2010, 02:29:29 AM »
I had the meal on the wood meal opposite the yacht, I had eaten there before the new owner hence going in again, I thought it was okay (nothing to shout about) my young crew was  with me and he really enjoyed the new decor and the board, the boss told us he had borrowed the idea and others and incorporated them in his place, fair play to him for trying something else. what a shame others do not do likewise it would certainly making eating out more fun even if it is for the younger elements. Better than chain burger joints in my view.

On the hygiene front I think many places would be shut down if a health inspection took place, the worst places are those serving foreign food, they appear to work by standards of the third world. No one seems to be suffering due to it, or perhaps the alcohol helps in killing all the bugs.

Offline ageofaquarius

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2010, 03:33:15 AM »
same place, still prefer a plate though

Offline Chevalier Blanc

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2010, 05:12:37 AM »
Back in the 60's there was a hamburg shop in the back of where the coop is now in King St. in the dustbins were loads of kit-kat empty tins and they did not have a cat. Mind you , you could get every drug going from that place.

Offline ageofaquarius

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2010, 05:40:31 AM »
I remember the hamburger shop, the buns were warmed, onions cooked, have fond memories, don't remember it tasting of cat food though.

Offline Dylan

• HELP!
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2011, 03:08:51 PM »
I once ate in Hooters burger bar (overseas), they had massive buns which they warmed for you as well. Why don't we have simple fare like this in Jersey?
!dereggub si draobyek ym kniht I

Offline Chevalier Blanc

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2011, 03:56:40 PM »
Used to have a nice steak on a piece of granite which was very hot indeed. I really enjoyed it because the steak stayed nice and hot all the way through.