Author Topic: Is Wikileaks a force for good, in a confused world order.  (Read 4589 times)

Offline boatyboy

Is Wikileaks a force for good, in a confused world order.
« on: December 08, 2010, 03:23:40 AM »
It is understood that when we elect the great and the good to lead our countries, or islands, they do so while walking the high moral and legal ground. We would be wrong to assume that mistakes will not be made and wrong policies adopted but that is all part of civilisation maturing. As adults we can accept that if the genuine desire is for the good of the people, mistakes will happen.

Maybe its just me but when I see the corruption in Westminster, and the self serving Euro MPs with their snouts in the trough. When I see banks again stealing from hard working people, and allowed to by the Supreme Court. The Government then give us watchdogs with dentures, I wonder if this structure called capitalism is really working ?

It probably could if the correct checks and balances were in place, clearly they are not.

This brings me to the point, if in a perfect world Governments were completely honest and transparent, as many like us to believe, then Wikileaks would be a waste of time.

The two sides are forming on one side the governments on the other the interested. Of course there should be protection from details and secrets that would do great harm to a nation, however this is a very small percentage of total information. Much of what is hidden and censored is using secrecy as a weapon to disenfranchise the taxpaying public from what is it countries true wealth. Wealth of the community, wealth of happiness and material wealth kept in place by strict rules that are directly linked to well being and care of all citizens, not extravagance and waste by government that we see on a daily basis and now resulting in a financial meltdown.

We must also mention using data protection to hide hideous mistakes and corruption in Government. Then the other crime, the powerful politicians misplaced personal political doctrine, placing heavy burden on the masses.

Which side are you on ?

Quotes,

Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton has made censorship-free Internet access a top priority of her dealings with authoritarian countries like China, some rights activists note. But now that the shoe is on the other foot, they add, the US government is violating its own policies.

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Foreign-Policy/2010/1207/US-to-federal-workers-If-you-read-WikiLeaks-you-re-breaking-the-law

Bolivia today accused the US of disrespect and resorting to blackmail in the UN climate negotiations after studying the WikiLeaks papers published by the Guardian.

"The latest WikiLeaks show how rich countries are using underhand tactics to arm-twist developing countries to accept an agreement [the Accord] which will do nothing to prevent dangerous climate change – and enable them to escape their responsibility to cut their emissions first and fastest and provide money to developing countries to do the same."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/damian-carrington-blog/2010/dec/07/wikileaks-climate-change-reaction

And how in hell is it possible that when a former U.S. president admits he authorized torture -- which is to say, he admits he committed a major crime -- the international media and political classes express not a fraction of the anger they are now directing at the man who leaked the secrets of that president's administration?

Read more: http://www.timescolonist.com/news/Editorial+Torture+WikiLeaks+lost+sanity/3937831/story.html#ixzz17SgroTip
« Last Edit: December 08, 2010, 03:25:13 AM by boatyboy »

Offline Dundee

Re: Is Wikileaks a force for good, in a confused world order.
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2010, 04:35:09 AM »
I'll let you into a secret SS is a waste of space.

Offline Dylan

• HELP!
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2010, 09:07:09 PM »
!dereggub si draobyek ym kniht I

rogueelement

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2010, 09:43:42 PM »
Don't tell them your name Pike!
To be fair BB , you offer no insight or alternatives to the current state of affairs worldwide.
I do sometimes wonder why we have MI5 and MI6 , whilst people like you and Rico are out there looking after the World.
Perhaps it is because , whilst the Iron Curtain has fragmented, whilst the bamboo curtain has been opened enough to let a ferret slither through ,that we still need protection from "alien"powers who wish to disrupt our lives to the betterment of their own peoples?
Anybody read about the Iranian scientists who have been eliminated over the past year? Reason...because they were involved with a power hungry , throw back to medieval years , who does not want women to be educated,wants the world to bow before Mohammed BBHN , and would really really appreciate seeing Israel as a big Car Park , for his Bedhouin cousins.
Anybody read about the constant Cyber attacks on British Intelligence? These may come from an Eastern Country or maybe not but ,don,t go betting against China, hacker central, or read about aircraft going down ,for daring to fly too close to certain areas? How about Aircraft which fly provacatively close to such areas to test their alertness?
Oil ,Gas, we need them they have got them .Now you could say that America could just claim most of the oil , by military might , but that would be a bad thing , a tad infra dig ,old chap , so we play the game (The great game as Prince Andrew referred to it ) and it is a constant game of chess, thrusting ,probing , searching out weakness , and every single Country in the World is involved ,be it about  diamonds , to gold to rare earths , to aluminium, the fight is on for control and the winners will achieve , or maintain certain standards.
 The losers, mostly African Nations which have been exploited rigourously ,both by their ex colonial masters or their incumbent thieving presidents, will continue to rely on hand outs from a gullible public. If you thought FIFA was corrupt , you truly have no idea of what is going on ,on the world stage.
Given that the forgoing is nearly about right , the last thing we need is some muppet running around , pointing out that Obama , thinks Cameron is a wuss, or that the President of North Korea thinks that he can rely on China , in the event he decides to total South Korea. Diplomatic affairs are "Gods Work"and if we went for total transparency , why, we would hardly have a decent Russian whore in any capital city! Replace Russian, with Chinese, English , American, Iraqi or whatever .
Sometimes it is better not to know and to trust that those in power have some modicum of intelligence .......none of this of course applies to Jersey ,those in our States,a Lumpen mass , without brains or charisma.....long may they reign , if they had brains , they could be dangerous!

Offline Dylan

• HELP!
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2010, 02:36:27 PM »
Totally agree, Sparty, when are you standing?

Offline Calimachon

• http://www.amnesty.org.uk/
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2010, 03:13:45 PM »
Don't tell them your name Pike!
To be fair BB , you offer no insight or alternatives to the current state of affairs worldwide.
I do sometimes wonder why we have MI5 and MI6 , whilst people like you and Rico are out there looking after the World.
Perhaps it is because , whilst the Iron Curtain has fragmented, whilst the bamboo curtain has been opened enough to let a ferret slither through ,that we still need protection from "alien"powers who wish to disrupt our lives to the betterment of their own peoples?
Anybody read about the Iranian scientists who have been eliminated over the past year? Reason...because they were involved with a power hungry , throw back to medieval years , who does not want women to be educated,wants the world to bow before Mohammed BBHN , and would really really appreciate seeing Israel as a big Car Park , for his Bedhouin cousins.
Anybody read about the constant Cyber attacks on British Intelligence? These may come from an Eastern Country or maybe not but ,don,t go betting against China, hacker central, or read about aircraft going down ,for daring to fly too close to certain areas? How about Aircraft which fly provacatively close to such areas to test their alertness?
Oil ,Gas, we need them they have got them .Now you could say that America could just claim most of the oil , by military might , but that would be a bad thing , a tad infra dig ,old chap , so we play the game (The great game as Prince Andrew referred to it ) and it is a constant game of chess, thrusting ,probing , searching out weakness , and every single Country in the World is involved ,be it about  diamonds , to gold to rare earths , to aluminium, the fight is on for control and the winners will achieve , or maintain certain standards.
 The losers, mostly African Nations which have been exploited rigourously ,both by their ex colonial masters or their incumbent thieving presidents, will continue to rely on hand outs from a gullible public. If you thought FIFA was corrupt , you truly have no idea of what is going on ,on the world stage.
Given that the forgoing is nearly about right , the last thing we need is some muppet running around , pointing out that Obama , thinks Cameron is a wuss, or that the President of North Korea thinks that he can rely on China , in the event he decides to total South Korea. Diplomatic affairs are "Gods Work"and if we went for total transparency , why, we would hardly have a decent Russian whore in any capital city! Replace Russian, with Chinese, English , American, Iraqi or whatever .
Sometimes it is better not to know and to trust that those in power have some modicum of intelligence .......none of this of course applies to Jersey ,those in our States,a Lumpen mass , without brains or charisma.....long may they reign , if they had brains , they could be dangerous!

The spelling is not bad but the punctuation is up the creek, must have been typed before after work drinkies!  Not a bad piece I must say. 

The pattern is so clear.  The world order is out of synch sadly, the signs are there staring us all in the face.  There is going to be another world war - I give world peace another 20 years with pockets of smaller wars around the globe..  I believe no amount of negotiation can save this.  Just enjoy life whilst you may.  History just repeats itself.  Look at the twenty or so years of history prior to each world war and there is definitely a pattern socially and financially; stupid fashions,  abnormally high gangster activity, stock market crashes and financial instability.  Shortages of food and work a desire from the masses to escape into addictions - alcohol now having been overtaken by designer drugs.  All whilst governments are trying to keep a grip on thier errant populations.

Sorry to be so pessimistic but it is a bloody mess isn't it!

Cali !  If only real war could be fought out in a computer game!
TOMORROW (Noun) = A mystical land where 99% of all human productivity, motivation an achievement is stored

Offline Dylan

• HELP!
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2010, 04:17:42 PM »
Being a bit thick and all I googled the site "www.Wikileaks.com" but having cut my finger recently whilst making Mrs D a kosher sausage sandwich using Mrs Murphy's best, I typed in www.wimberleaks.com.

This was fortunate because I think it has since been pulled by the feds.

There were however some revealing posts on the site:-

"Christmas has been cancelled by SOJ purse string puller Bill Ugly and Terry will only let the public know sometime in March"

"The Pitman gang have signed a new alliance with the former communist and Polish Ambassador whom has promised backing for a further-to-the left of left wing party" - It's a bit like  making Geoff Southern looking like a real buff toff while sawing off his left arm at the same time  - peops will really luvvit! Shona was heard to say

"Our Freddy has bought shares in his family construction and development business as he thinks it might now be in with a chance"

"Farmer Jimmy and Monty have clubbed together, pledging to ban all tax and duties on Alcohol" Jimmy said it will be one heck of a party if we pull this one off

"Pip is considering taking on a special team of 12 advisers for his forthcoming overseas tour" Each will be given an SOJ expense card with simple limits of £50k as well as free entry into heaven" (didn't know he'd taken up religion but I suppose it will look good).

Did anyone else spot any gems?

Offline Calimachon

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2011, 04:58:22 PM »
Just trying to ascertain the position regarding Wikileaks.  Have found the book I ordered, at last, hidden under a mass of cotton fabric, just as well I have a tidy up now and then.  The book is called "WikiLeaks - Inside Julian Assange's War on Secrecy"  Authors - David Leigh and Luke Harding.

"The story is far from over.  In the UK there was only muted critism..........." 

"It appears to have been another story in the US where there was a more bitter and partisan arguement, clouded by differing ideas......."   

"And, of course, We have yet to hear an unmediated account from the man alleged to be the true source of the material, Bradley Manning, a 23 year-old US army private.  Until then no complete story of the leak that changed the world can really be written."

I have visions of poor Private Bradley Manning, dressed in an orange boilersuit, being trolleyed around some detention centre.

A good description of Wilileaks by Assange himself:

"a mobile organisation that could be rolled out or packed up in a matter of hours"

So far a good read.

Cali  ;)

"How do you reveal things about powerful people without getting your arse kicked?"

« Last Edit: February 22, 2011, 05:00:23 PM by Calimachon »
TOMORROW (Noun) = A mystical land where 99% of all human productivity, motivation an achievement is stored

Offline Dylan

• HELP!
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2011, 05:28:59 PM »
By leaving contentious emails lying around on a Government photocopier right next to a Minister who will undoubtably pick it up (I should coco!)

Offline Calimachon

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2011, 05:33:43 PM »
I am relieved you did not pick up on my 'Freudian slip' here:

"A good description of Wilileaks by Assange himself:"

Cali :)

Offline Dylan

• HELP!
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2011, 07:21:12 PM »
I am relieved you did not pick up on my 'Freudian slip' here:
Cali :)

Not at all ! I think you might have more problems with Jung (Java Universal Network Framework)! When the Feds pick you up for a waterboarding session!

Offline Calimachon

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2011, 07:41:03 PM »
Would you be referring to "flows, and importance measures (centrality, PageRank, HITS, etc.)" here,  I know nothing about JUNG!

Offline Dylan

• HELP!
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2011, 08:21:14 PM »
http://jung.sourceforge.net/

Usually used by law enforcement agencies to determine frequencies and hence propensities of insurgent/or otherwise monitorable cyber activity.

I think the answer to the original question is however that the use of post-destructural analysis is as impotent as abject criticism, conversely formulaic Government pre-nouncements (spin) is the root cause of general distrust and hence darker conclusions being drawn towards the everyday distastefulness of reality.

Offline Mark Forskitt

• A View from the West
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2011, 09:10:25 PM »
http://jung.sourceforge.net/

the everyday distastefulness of reality.

Dream on, Dylan ;)

Offline Dylan

• HELP!
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2011, 11:46:46 PM »
Oh Sherrif! Gonna lock us up eh?