Author Topic: Find me a politician who runs on these issues and I'll vote for them  (Read 3160 times)

Offline Darius

• Justice for Jersey
CIVIL SERVICE PAY
1.   Grade 1 civil Servant to be paid minimum wage, effective pay reduction to be applied across all Civil Service grades.
2.   Minimum wage to be increased to 50% of the average wage less the effect of the universal benefit payment (after the pay review of the Civil Servants).
3.   Civil Service pensions to be changed from final salary related to personal funds.
CIVIL SERVICE CONDITIONS
1.   The phrase ‘any other task as directed by the Minister or superior’ to be added to the list of responsibilities for each and every Civil Service Post.
2.   Introduction of a compulsory £20 monthly administration fee for the collection of Union dues by the States of Jersey or any other employer, such fee to be deducted from the members’ wage or salary.
3.   The introduction of a Criminal Offence for Civil Servants who supply incorrect or misleading information to any member of the public with regard to what the law is, including misrepresenting departmental policy as law.
4.   The introduction of a Criminal Offence for Civil Servants who discuss matters of policy with any local media without the express written consent of the minister or their department. Such written consent must specifically state the full comment which the Civil Servant is authorised to make.
5.   The introduction of a Criminal Offence for Civil Servants who publish their personal opinion on any matter of policy or funding relating to the department by which they are employed.
6.   The introduction of a Criminal Offence for Civil Servants who fail to carry out the written instructions of their Minister including failure to complete such tasks within a time period set by the Minister or within a budget set by the Minister.
7.   Any Civil Servant who contravenes any of the above laws shall suffer immediate dishonourable dismissal.
LEGAL REFORM
1.   The establishment of a team of dedicated Legal Aid Advocates responsible for representing persons who would otherwise be unable to be represented. These Advocates to be specifically employed to bring matters before the Royal Court of Jersey dealing with failures of the Government of Jersey including individual Civil Servants. These Advocates to be funded by private legal firms and through award of 10% of the salary of each Civil Servant dismissed as a result of actions bought.
CRIMINAL JUSTICE
1.   Accused to be afforded complete anonymity until the conclusion of all legal proceedings including any appeal.
2.   Police to be responsible for investigation of crimes only, charging to be determined by Law Officers and Honorary Police.
3.   Police success or failure shall be determined by the number of investigations completed rather than the number of convictions achieved.
4.   All persons who may be subject to charges shall have an initial Parish Hall Enquiry prior to any appearance in Court, which may be conducted at HMP La Moye, which for judicial purposes shall be deemed to be part of every Parish of the Island. No charge to be made at the Police station or whilst a person is in Police custody.  Persons who may be subject to charge for a serious offence who may not be entitled to bail shall appear before the Magistrate who will determine if the person should be held whilst the Law Officers and Honorary Police consider whether a charge should be laid.
5.   Parish Hall Enquiries will only deal with guilty pleas, but will be allowed to issue higher penalties including fines of up to £500.
6.   Any Policeman who can be shown to have broken the law, including committing perjury, shall automatically suffer immediate dismissal. Sentence tariffs for police officers shall automatically carry double the maximum penalty and where permissible under the law the Police Officer shall automatically be sentenced to imprisonment.
7.   Successfully completing an investigation which leads to the conviction and dismissal of a Police Officer shall be beneficial in obtaining promotion within the States of Jersey Police.
8.   The number of plains clothes officers may never be more than 50% of the number of uniformed officers, for these purposes all officers of Inspector rank and above shall be deemed to be plain clothes officers.
9.   Police Officers will no longer have a set retirement age, officers less physically able to deal with the rigours of patrolling a beat will be responsible for taking complaints from the public, officers on the beat and completing investigations. Officers physically able to do so will be expected to maintain a constant public presence and the Queen’s Peace at all times.
IMMIGRATION
1.   Aim to reduce the population in Jersey over the medium term. This will be achieved by gradually reducing the level of Government employment.
2.   Non-residents shall be allowed to enter Jersey to work for a period not exceeding four years and three hundred and sixty four days, on the condition that they speak English fluently. They will not be permitted to bring family members with them.
3.   Should a non-resident contravene Criminal Law their permit to work shall be immediately revoked.
4.   A person wishing to continue to reside in Jersey for five years or more must after not less than four years apply for residency. They must have successfully applied for British Citizenship to be eligible for resident status.
PENSIONS AND BENEFITS
1.   Social security and income support to be replaced with a universal benefit paid to every resident of Jersey, of any age, which will be set at 40% of the average wage.
2.   Make the establishment of a compulsory retirement age unlawful, persons able to retire at any age they wish.
ELECTORAL REFORM
1.   Constables to be removed from the States, the number of sitting members to be reduced to 21 (ten ministers and eleven others).
2.   To replace the Bailiff with an elected Speaker for the States. Remove the Lieutenant Governor, the Attorney General and Dean of Jersey from the States.
3.   Draw boundaries for twenty one electoral districts roughly equal in population each of which will elect one member of the States.
ROADS
1.   Responsibility for the maintenance and upkeep of highways to pass from TTS to the Parishes.

ole razzy

Well that's your manifesto sorted. When are you planning to inform the public of your candidacy?

And.....do you think its a good idea to have a Jersey Conservative Party or is what we currently elect principally the same thing?

Offline namoop

As manifestos go, this one alternates between Screaming Lord Such and Ming the Merciless. If you are looking for a potential candidate willing to stand on these issues try Rampton or the Haig War Crimes Tribunal.

Offline Dylan

• HELP!
I'll vote for you Pooman, Just tell me, were you related by any chance to King George?
!dereggub si draobyek ym kniht I

Offline David Rotherham

Well, Daz, you have certainly used some creativity and imagination in this. Now, try using some more to write a story set in a future where all this has come to pass. When you imagine real daily life under this regime, you might find it turns out less than utopian.

Offline danrok

You can't base minimum wage on 50% of the average wage.  That is just daft, especially in such a small community, where the average could be skewed by an increase in high earners.

Minimum wage needs to have some correlation with the cost of living.

I'm not going to read on, any further than that.

Offline Darius

• Justice for Jersey
I will never run for the States again. I simply could not afford the pay cut.

Having heard Senator Ozouf's idea of what qualifies as an 'expenditure cut' there are no right wingers in the States, just a bunch deluded people who refuse to face economic reality, if they are even intelligent enough to have thought about it, which I greatly doubt most have, they are just enjoying being paid more than their talents should merit. Our Civil Servants are vastly overpaid and underworked and increasing our already ridiculously high taxes will simply destroy the economy of the Island.

I hope the Lib-Con coalition holds firm to one of the Lib ideas - banning tax evasion through places like Jersey.

Offline namoop

I'll vote for you Pooman, Just tell me, were you related by any chance to King George?

No but Lloyd George was my father.

Offline Daren O'Toole

You can't base minimum wage on 50% of the average wage.  That is just daft, especially in such a small community, where the average could be skewed by an increase in high earners.

I think you will find that the not quite leader of the Jersey Disaster Alliance for once in his miserable existance got a proposition through the States that sets the minimum wage to increase to 45% of the average wage. So dazzers manifesto actually helps the poorer members of society.

Offline Darius

• Justice for Jersey

Actually what is better for the poorest is to have Civil Service wages tied to benefits, that way the Civil Servants only benefit when the society they purportedly serve benefits.

Offline Dylan

• HELP!
Re: Find me a politician who runs on these issues and I'll vote for them
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2010, 04:00:58 PM »
Agree save as to the wage should read costs
!dereggub si draobyek ym kniht I