Author Topic: Rico Sorda - no longer one ban away from oblivion  (Read 15874 times)

ole razzy

Rico Sorda - no longer one ban away from oblivion
« on: November 29, 2009, 04:17:14 AM »
I went out last night for a curry with Rico and Durendal. Was a nice evening. We talked a lot of politics as you might imagine - and although there were many differences of opinion (especially on the issue of SSS) we all had a laugh aided by a few pints and bottles of wine. Rico was telling us both how much he really enjoys participating in planet jersey and has started to do more research into topics that are of particular interest. I can remember thinking fair play that man. He's genuinely interested and whether you buy into his brand of politics or not I find him affable and willing to accept that he may not always be correct. Granted his grammer is street. But Yo, I'm down with that!

Rico texted me this evening to say that he has been banned from planert jersey for cutting and pasting the court transcripts of Syvret's hearings. Now I fully appreciate that for some people these posts may be problematic, in part due the time required to plough through them, and also by the nature of the content, but given that this is a political forum, I thought Rico had a right to post them. He may not have made many friends with these lengthy transcripts but, for him at least, they were starting to shed some light on the reasons for SSS's self imposed excile - or doing a runner - whichever way you chose to see it.

Now the point of this post is not to blow smoke up Rico's hoop but to appeal to the moderators to reconsider their decision. There are things that I don't personally agree with Rico about but I think this forum is all the better for having his opinions online. A diversity of views is the fuel of this forum. Think how boring it would be if we all agreed.

So I say bring back the goon. Slap his wrists, tell him no more transcripts (a link to a PdF will suffice) and let him get back to giving us his idiosyncratic views and grammatical misdemeanors.

If this works Rico your buying the curries next time. And the sauvignon blanc!

The Backbencher

Re: Rico Sorda - no longer one ban away from oblivion
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2009, 04:26:35 AM »
It was totally over kill.

Offline newmac

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2009, 04:31:14 AM »
It was totally over kill.

I agree it's totally overkill to ban someone for trying to promote discussion on a political subject.

Free the punk one ;D

Offline Fritz

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2009, 04:50:14 AM »
Bring back Rico.
(But let the lengthy transcripts stay banned).

Offline boatyboy

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2009, 06:35:18 AM »

No way,

I offer Government documents to prove evidence, whats wrong with that, if its boring for you watch football. Its supposed to be a Political site. There are plenty of other X factor, and dating sites,

Boatyboy.

Offline newmac

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2009, 07:17:52 AM »
Boatyboy,

I left the forum for a while partially due to the way it was moderated, I looked in every now and then and it appeared to be allowing people to be more open.

Personally I prefer people to cut and paste current political articles to try and get some form of debate going (on what is supposed to be a political site) than reading the usual slagging off post's.

Maybe the message on the front page should be changed to state.
We will only allow postings that fit in with the admins way of thinking unless you work or are freinds with us then you can post what you like.

Offline Calimachon

• http://www.amnesty.org.uk/
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2009, 12:16:55 PM »
Let Rico back in!

Let him cut and paste if he wants to.  No one has to read it if they don't want to!

I can understand his posts!  If anyone has difficulty understanding him and wishes to communicate there lack of understanding, due to lack of grammar or spelling mistakes to him, please have respect and do it by private message!  (Ooops, sorry did that sound like Mod talk.  I don't want to get above my station, sorry Mods!)

Way to go rico sorda, may your journey of discovery continue.  Shame more people don't have this kind of enthusiasm and willingness to find out about Jersey politics so don't discourage this willing participant.

TOMORROW (Noun) = A mystical land where 99% of all human productivity, motivation an achievement is stored

Offline Durendal

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2009, 01:48:24 PM »
Free the Rico one he is a good bloke -views notwithstanding!

Offline iruka

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2009, 02:07:17 PM »
Outrageous!

Bring back Rico.

I too have found the moderation on this forum to be sometimes heavy handed. They seem to doze away then suddenly wake up and start banning people with no strong reason.

Offline man in the street

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2009, 03:55:25 PM »
yes bring back rico, as for the lenghty post, i was quite amazed to read the transcript online, and look foreword to reading the rest of this case, as it unfolds.
 i belive that it is only through these kind of posts ,that the truth will be available.

Offline GeeGee

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2009, 05:39:04 PM »
Shameful! Rico is a good egg - let him back.

Why should he be banned for going to the trouble of posting something the rest of us would have probably have been too lazy to look up and read.

PJ's loss Rico, and I'm off this site until you are allowed back.

Offline Dundee

« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2009, 05:53:28 PM »
I say let him back, even if I disagree with his views 99% of the time, he certainly is active.

If he offended me I am sure I would tell him.

The messiah SSS needs all the disciples he can get at present.  ;D

ole razzy

« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2009, 06:43:23 PM »
Well just like on election night if early indications are anything to go by then the general concensus is quite clearly that Rico Sorda should have his ban lifted. Not that anybody should feel detered from making any further contributions whether supportive or not.

So far we have got 10 posters (Hero status many) who have come out to support him and (with the possible exception of the backbencher - whose comment can be taken either way) nobody has said keep the ban in place. Nobody. Now I know this not my site, and I have to tread carefully here but, if this was a real parliament, with democracy in action, Rico would be back - and what is especially nice is to read comments from Dundee and Iruka - who freely admit their personal ideologocal differences to Rico but still support a wider concept of 'free speech'.

So that's 10-1 in favour and interestingly if you tot up the total number of posts made by the 10 to date its very nearly 6000! 

Finally, I wrote this earlier this year on another thread but I hope the moderators will read it again and recognise that the sentiments cut both ways - regardless of political persuasion.

So for the record; I have railed against a bloated administration, backed Stuart Syvret on this forum in respect of the efforts he has made for the victims of institutional child abuse, continually criticised the political structures seemingly operating unchecked in the post clothier landscape and lashed out at a wide range of sanctimonious fools who many would describe as 'establishment' politicians. I have in the past hounded JTM whenever possible, slagged of Ozouf, Cohen, Vibert, MacLean, Walker and Le Sueur and, whenever possible, contributed my deeper understanding and idiosyncratic knowledge of matters cultural. But I have absolutely no problem with stating that I also hold in high regard those individuals who have sought to critique what I would describe as the 'Syvret, Centre, Green, Left Alliance'. Criticism is, after all, a vital function of political discourse. And at times I've been dazzled by the rational logic applied to their arguments and their wholehearted belief in the need for evidence and proof and of the need to abide by the law. They (doffing cap to Gordon Brown, Spartacus, Durendal and Iruka in particular) may not hold views that are wholly acceptable to many who seek justice and truth online, but it is rare that they duck a bullet and their tenacity is to be applauded as much as their intellect. You see I do not believe that you have to agree with somebody all the time to respect them and I honestly don’t think that the snide speculations as to individuals identities take us any nearer to a clearer understanding of what is in our collective best interests as a community. And whilst I like to goof around a bit on PJ I'm really more interested in reading rational debate. If it’s robust, challenging, difficult and at times heated I like it even more

Taken from;

Back chat, banter, outings and accusations - PJ and SSS blog's turn sour
« on: June 09, 2009, 11:09:42 PM »

Offline Chevalier Blanc

« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2009, 06:52:16 PM »
I agree Rico Sorda should be allowed to cut etc on his postings if he needs to so that people know where he is coming from.

The Backbencher

« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2009, 08:37:16 PM »
Well just like on election night if early indications are anything to go by then the general concensus is quite clearly that Rico Sorda should have his ban lifted. Not that anybody should feel detered from making any further contributions whether supportive or not.

So far we have got 10 posters (Hero status many) who have come out to support him and (with the possible exception of the backbencher - whose comment can be taken either way) nobody has said keep the ban in place. Nobody. Now I know this not my site, and I have to tread carefully here but, if this was a real parliament, with democracy in action, Rico would be back - and what is especially nice is to read comments from Dundee and Iruka - who freely admit their personal ideologocal differences to Rico but still support a wider concept of 'free speech'.

So that's 10-1 in favour and interestingly if you tot up the total number of posts made by the 10 to date its very nearly 6000!  

Finally, I wrote this earlier this year on another thread but I hope the moderators will read it again and recognise that the sentiments cut both ways - regardless of political persuasion.

So for the record; I have railed against a bloated administration, backed Stuart Syvret on this forum in respect of the efforts he has made for the victims of institutional child abuse, continually criticised the political structures seemingly operating unchecked in the post clothier landscape and lashed out at a wide range of sanctimonious fools who many would describe as 'establishment' politicians. I have in the past hounded JTM whenever possible, slagged of Ozouf, Cohen, Vibert, MacLean, Walker and Le Sueur and, whenever possible, contributed my deeper understanding and idiosyncratic knowledge of matters cultural. But I have absolutely no problem with stating that I also hold in high regard those individuals who have sought to critique what I would describe as the 'Syvret, Centre, Green, Left Alliance'. Criticism is, after all, a vital function of political discourse. And at times I've been dazzled by the rational logic applied to their arguments and their wholehearted belief in the need for evidence and proof and of the need to abide by the law. They (doffing cap to Gordon Brown, Spartacus, Durendal and Iruka in particular) may not hold views that are wholly acceptable to many who seek justice and truth online, but it is rare that they duck a bullet and their tenacity is to be applauded as much as their intellect. You see I do not believe that you have to agree with somebody all the time to respect them and I honestly don’t think that the snide speculations as to individuals identities take us any nearer to a clearer understanding of what is in our collective best interests as a community. And whilst I like to goof around a bit on PJ I'm really more interested in reading rational debate. If it’s robust, challenging, difficult and at times heated I like it even more

Taken from;

Back chat, banter, outings and accusations - PJ and SSS blog's turn sour
« on: June 09, 2009, 11:09:42 PM »

Peoples freedom of speech is being damaged by Mr Syvret's blog because if you say something thats anti him he will try and dig up dirt on you.  Thats not democratic but a forceful approach of shoving ones views down your throat.  Luckily some of us stand up towards him and still say what we believe is right and to hell with his counter bullying.  His supporters are just as nasty sometimes and this came up in the Chapman Report.  Mud slinging people all the time when they are not even charged with anything is kangaroo justice and I am actually at a loss as to why some people still think this is the right thing to do when we live in a society which is supposed to regard people as innocent until proven guilty.