Author Topic: Switch to LED street lighting to reduce energy consumption  (Read 4509 times)

rogueelement

Re: Switch to LED street lighting to reduce energy consumption
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2010, 12:12:14 AM »
You see the Prof that is entirely your problem, there have been some very erudite answers , but you battle on anyway about your way of thinking .Fact is that you should consider response from others before continuing to talk your inane, left wing tree, hugging ,drivel .
The simple problem is that any tree hugging solution = less service and more cost ,great if you are a Hobbit and can afford it , but unfortunately most of us live in the real world where "cheap electricity from France (hahahahahahaah) beats the crap out of wind farms , even if driven by demented mouth pieces like Southern and his ,, well I suppose now ...ex mates" Are shown to be at best a marginal solution to any energy crisis.
Never forget we are a piss pot in the ocean ,with zero relevance to the rest of the world , so we should consider most of our "major issues" to be an irrelevance to 99.9999 % of the world.
We really are not that important ,time to get over it.

ole razzy

« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2010, 12:33:48 AM »
A tad harsh old boy. You been al fresco drinking in the sauvignon sunshine, sunshine? The comment about our total global irrelevancy is well received however. Nonetheless the prof is carefully recording our social and political history online and seeing as nobody else is doing it in such depth I say fair play to him.  And I happen to think he does it rather well, a broad spread of topics, plenty satire and a keen observor of the political landscape. Just like you good self. You should get pissed with him one day in the sunshine.

rogueelement

« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2010, 12:37:25 AM »
Dont blame it on the sunshine !
dont blame it on the moonlight
Blame it in the Boogie !
Totally agree old chap , but you do have a startlingly tendency to like odd balls , for me, The Prof has lurched to the left too often¬

Offline tonytheprof

« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2010, 02:14:15 AM »
Actually the move to low energy,  in the States comes from our Constable Mike Jackson (and not the left wing), and when I spoke to him, he told me the St Brelade's Christmas lights would soon need replacing and would be low energy.

Everyone can see fuel costs going up again, and low-energy is smart, purely from an economic point of view - you can believe in Peak Oil, but you don't have to - just looking at price rises is enough to see that any strategy which reduces costs is good. It's not particularly left-wing, it could equally be seen as the typical Finchley Housewife being frugal, as Margaret Thatcher would say. Even "cheap energy" from France is not always so cheap - look at the 25% price hike when the exchange rate caught the JEC on the hop.

Incidentally, I was talking to someone who knowns about the new incinerator, and they reckon that if Guernsey comes in with waste, the home-grown energy from the plant could go up from around 9% to perhaps 15-20% - that's not from wind power, but energy from waste plant. Unlike the Airport Control Tower, they are being trained to go from day 1 when it starts! Guernsey waste is also pre-sorted, so there are not the same problems as Jersey with toxic metals. But there will be more pressure on Jersey dumping of waste to be pre-sorted, by charging more for unsorted waste.

The old tower will be coming down, by 2012, and there will be an expansion of sewage treatment (much needed) on the way, and covered - no nasty smells at Bellozane.

I don't see a lot being done with wind farms in Jersey, but we could certainly take a leaf from Guernsey and Alderney and look into wave power, especially as the technology is improving.

I don't know where the "tree hugging" comes in. I did once hug a lamp post back in the late 1970s in Exeter, though, when I was walking back late one night with friends after an evening exploring the historic inns of the city, and their ales. Suddenly the lamp post leapt out and hit me!

« Last Edit: August 20, 2010, 02:16:12 AM by tonytheprof »