Author Topic: St Martins Bonfire  (Read 6894 times)

Offline Xenth

St Martins Bonfire
« on: November 16, 2008, 01:22:49 PM »
Well i have to say, what a load of crap!!

The event was held 10 days after bonfire night on a Saturday, which i think a weekend is good, but i took my son there last night most roads were closed around the area, there where no signs or direction for parking, no signs for entry to the bonfire, the part time police couldn't give a toss about helping and 13 quid to get in and it was over in about 15 minutes?
Fireworks went off then Peter Mac shouts see you all have a safe trip home? for 13 quid? wont be back next year it was bloody awful.

Bring back the old days of the Chateau fireworks with Terry and some Bean Crock
"You don't pay taxes - they take taxes."
Chris Rock

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.
P. J. O'Rourke

Offline Fritz

Re: St Martins Bonfire
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2008, 04:01:26 PM »
£13 to watch a bonfire!!

You were mad to go in the first place.

Offline Xenth

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2008, 08:53:18 PM »
Hence the reason why i wont be going again!!!!
Chris Rock

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.
P. J. O'Rourke

Offline focus

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2008, 07:36:35 AM »
£13? I take it you went with another adult and a child? I went and it was £5 for adults £3 for children.

Offline Xenth

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2008, 09:16:43 AM »
Yep, i did but what annoys me is the fact that once Peter Mac annouces the fireworks are doen he basically tells you to F*** off rather than anything going on till later, just seems very short time considering the size of the bonfire!!
Also as i said it was the poor planning that really annoyed me!!!
Chris Rock

P. J. O'Rourke

Offline grimmer

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2008, 11:06:24 PM »
We regard to your comments about the price the money that we paid on the gates all went to local charities within the island. There was £6,000-00 spent on fire works and into day that money doesn't get you much. You must think it was a very good display?

It was 10 days Late due to the rain and bad weather the weekend before which is why it was last weekend and with regard to parking on the roads it was the only oppction left open or you would be moning about getting your car stuck in the fields.

And if you thing it was badly planned then why don't you go on the commity and plan it better next years as NO one gets paid for this it is all done by the same people that put on gorey fate in the summer.

And also year the commit gave away £22,000-00 to local charities on this island. So paying £13 to get you and your family i think is not to much to ask.

Offline Xenth

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2008, 11:02:32 AM »
i havent said that it wasnt for a good cause?
i didnt belittle the committee for doing it for a good cause?

You admit it was ten days later, so why wasnt it better sign posted for parking? there was more time to do it?

i have no quarrel about paying £13 for to get in and watch a display especially if its going to a charity if you read my post again i said it was a let down when i think that you could do much more instead of fireworks at 20:15 then see you later at 20:20?

Getting my car stuck in a field? so what i endured it for the last few years at St Martins and i am not really bothered by it, what i couldnt understand is that the honorays had blocked off most roads but there was nothing to indicate a parking area, we only found it by accident.

I know it was ten days late and i understand why, i never criticised this, i am glad it went ahead all i am saying is that by the time we had found parking and got there we had missed a fair bit of the procession and when Peter Mac Wishes everyone a good night its like watching a zombie horder run for fresh meat, everyone turns heels and runs, i was just saying it would be nice for it to go on a little longer till maybe 9 - 930 before they chuck everyone out?

i tell you what i will do you a favour i wont comment on the bonfire in future and neither will i attend it as it seems that anything negative is a disaster to you.

Anyone recommend a good place to go for a bonfire next year please?
Chris Rock

P. J. O'Rourke

Offline The Rev Peter Sarkey

• Diocese of St Swithins
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2008, 11:18:31 AM »
Yeah, ask the chimney people in St Peters where they are fitting next, theyve had 2 cracking fires already.
"That's not in the effing good book!"

Offline Xenth

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2008, 11:33:46 AM »
Really? nothing too serious?
Chris Rock

P. J. O'Rourke

Razzard

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2008, 12:46:28 PM »
We regard to your comments about the price the money that we paid on the gates all went to local charities within the island. There was £6,000-00 spent on fire works and into day that money doesn't get you much. You must think it was a very good display?

It was 10 days Late due to the rain and bad weather the weekend before which is why it was last weekend and with regard to parking on the roads it was the only oppction left open or you would be moning about getting your car stuck in the fields.

And if you thing it was badly planned then why don't you go on the commity and plan it better next years as NO one gets paid for this it is all done by the same people that put on gorey fate in the summer.

And also year the commit gave away £22,000-00 to local charities on this island. So paying £13 to get you and your family i think is not to much to ask.

Hello Grimmer - congratulations on raising such a large sum. Are you a member of the honorary police?

Offline grimmer

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2008, 01:59:46 PM »
My be Xenth have you through about writing to the commeit and telling them what you think and may be it would help them for next year? If they don't know what we are thinking then how can they go about changing it and making it better for next year?

And Razzard No i am not a members of the honorary police and i never will be.

Razzard

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2008, 02:22:05 PM »

That's what I like to hear. I love it when people give up their free time to help others without the aid of a high-viz jacket and funny looking tinted glasses!

And well done again Grimmer on that sum raised for charity.

Offline Xenth

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2008, 02:59:26 PM »
My be Xenth have you through about writing to the commeit and telling them what you think and may be it would help them for next year? If they don't know what we are thinking then how can they go about changing it and making it better for next year?

Gladly, please PM the address to the committe and i will gladly send them my thoughts. I dont see how it would help though, as said previously i wont be attending in future.
Chris Rock

P. J. O'Rourke

Offline danrok

« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2008, 05:13:04 PM »

The fact that something is a charity fund raiser is never a valid excuse for putting on a poor show - if that was the case.  Any event raising money for charity should be organised by competent people, in a business-like fashion.

All of the most successful charities are run in this way, that's the reason why they're successful.  The guy who founded Oxfam was without doubt a competent entrepreneurial type, he just happened to do it for charity rather than for personal profit.

Any charity event which is run by inexperienced people will fail, this doesn't help charities in the long term, or worse case will harm the image of the charity involved.

Offline Secretary

« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2008, 12:02:30 AM »
I note with interest the comments made by Xenth in respect of the St Martin’s Bonfire.  I am very sorry you were not satisfied with your visit to the event.  I am the secretary to the organising committee and feel I should offer the Committee’s side of the story.  The membership of the Committee was bitterly disappointed that due to very bad weather the event organised for 8th November had to be postponed mainly because of health and safety reasons – high winds and rain.  A bit of background here - there are a lot of processes behind the scenes that have to be completed before an event such as this can go ahead.  Permits have to be obtained and that includes completing an event plan (a document containing well over 100 pages of evidence) which covers all aspects of health and safety issues, insurance and backup plans to satisfy organisations such as all the emergency services -police, fire service, ambulance as well as public health and other representatives on the Bailiff’s Panel.  Once permission is obtained the main work can begin.  The Committee is a small body of people who work voluntarily giving up their own free time and sometimes using up holiday entitlement from work.   At 6.30pm the bonfire was lit with a spectacular show, maybe you missed that, there was also a display of fire juggling on the main field and many people watched and enjoyed it.  On the stage there was musical entertainment and a guy competition for the young children and we had fabulous entries for that all made by children.  Also on the stage we had a junior karaoke competition which was well attended.  There were 5 food stalls and the Committee had two stalls – a drinks stall (and we made sure that our drinks were sold at a very competitive rates) and a stall where glow sticks were sold.  The fireworks display was amazing and this year as the Committee did not have a sponsor it had to fund the £6,000 from its reserves and having the concessions and the drink stalls as well as the glow stick stall all helped to go towards the running costs.  There was a delay in the start of the fireworks because of a medical problem which was sorted out by the fantastic St Johns Ambulance – a poor lady had an epileptic fit in the field and it was felt this had to be a priority to sort out to ensure the lady was tended to appropriately and properly and the fireworks were not the main issue at that time.  We do not close the event or ‘chuck everyone out’ after the fireworks people do that themselves - they leave without any prompting.  In fact our permit allows us to hold the event between the times of 5.30pm - 9.30pm so we could not let it go any longer than the times we are permitted to do so.  Parking - well I hold my hands up we did have a major problem there but the weather again was against us, the four fields to be used were so waterlogged it was felt too dangerous to use three of them and the fourth one could only be used for four wheeled drives – even then some got stuck.  Most of the road closures were in place because of road works currently being undertaken near the Zoo I have to add that people in St Martins cannot get to Trinity that way they have to go via Five Oaks due to these road works so many things were against the Committee this year.  Cancelling was not an option for the Committee.  Danrok, we do our best we are not professionals but we have many years of experience behind us and I think the Committee has the reputation of a competent body of people who do organise its events in a business like fashion.  The Committee does not consider itself inexperienced if it was it would not have the reputation it has and truly deserves.   After the fireworks many people came to the Committee stall to express their congratulations on such a successful event and similar comments have also been received by phone and in person.  I should add that the same Committee organises the largest Fete in Jersey - Gorey Fete and that is well attended and well run.  All of the profits from both events go to local good causes.  The Committee give up a lot of personal time all the year round as meetings are held on a regular basis to ensure that the organisation of both events is appropriate as well as ensuring that equipment used is refurbished or built to specifications.  Gorey Fete Committee has been running since 1947 and a few of the Committee members are sons, grandsons or relatives of the original Committee set up over 60 years ago.  The Committee is proud of its record of donating money to the local charities.  After both events the Committee holds a debriefing meeting where the events are discussed in detail and the Committee does try to ensure that all issues are covered and tries to ensure that improvements to the organisation are implemented for future years.  I can assure you that the parking will be discussed at length but I personally do not feel there was any other option.  If anyone wishes to contact the Committee please send your letters/comments to the Secretary c/o St Martin’s Public Hall, they will be considered.