Author Topic: The coming election  (Read 1238 times)

Offline boatyboy

The coming election
« on: September 22, 2017, 08:39:35 PM »
These politicians have made it known they want to stay in office and be elected next time to represent you again.

Will you let them stay by voting for them, or is it time to say adios ?

They are:

St John Constable Chris Taylor

St Mary Constable Juliette Gallichan

St Brelade Constable Steve Pallett

St Saviour Constable Sadie Rennard

Grouville Constable John Le Maistre

St Helier District 2 Deputy Sam Mézec

Grouville Deputy Carolyn Labey

St Helier District 1 Deputy Judy Martin

St Helier District 3/4 Deputy Richard Rondel

St Ouen Deputy Richard Renouf

St Helier District 3/4 Deputy Jackie Hilton

St Saviour District 1 Deputy Jeremy Maçon

St Mary Deputy David Johnson

St Brelade District 2 Deputy Graham Truscott

St Helier District 1 Deputy Russell Labey

Deputy Andrew Lewis

Planning Minister Steve Luce.

Read more at https://jerseyeveningpost.com/news/2017/09/22/third-of-members-to-stand-in-next-election/#qRoUmXsjvgwMJYMH.99
« Last Edit: September 23, 2017, 01:10:54 AM by boatyboy »

Offline Jerry Gosselin

Re: The coming election
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2017, 07:19:35 AM »
It's not really a matter of whether I want to let them stay or not because in most cases there will be no credible alternative to them on the ballot paper anyway. The vast majority will just be re-elected by default - and all those Constables you mentioned will be re-elected unopposed.

Over the past decade the States have tampered with the existing system, merging the dates of the Senators, Deputies and Constables elections in order to try to give the impression that this is a general election with something important at stake. They want voters to believe that they actually have the power to change 'the government' so that turnout will improve. Well turnout has just got worse and no - we do not have the power to change the government on election day, nor would we have that power even if Mezec's hopeless reforms had sneaked into law.

This is because there are fundamental flaws with the traditional democratic process in Jersey which have persisted for hundreds of years. For example, the ballot paper for next year's Senators will no doubt feature a majority of the current Council of Ministers (unless some decide to retire up to a Quango). Yet all of them will stand as 'independents' and some will even try to distance themselves with ambiguous statements from the more unpopular government policies that they had a part in formulating and implementing. The voters always fall for this charade and start rating the candidates on their individual personalities and populist tendencies rather than on what policies they were collectively responsible for foisting on us. The manifestos of the different Ministers will not be the same. It will be impossible to reach any consensus on what horrors these Ministers might have in store for us next if they are re-elected.

So we just elect them on their personality traits and then we find out later (some months after the election) what new taxes or charges they intend to introduce, what ancient rights of ours they intend to abolish in some 10-minute unopposed States debate that won't have to be approved by the Privy Council, what new mega-Quangos they intend to set up and which States properties they intend to flog off to a luxury homes developer beginning with 'D'.

Mezec will be reading this and saying that the answer is party politics, but this has simply never caught on despite attempts going back hundreds of years. You cannot simply implant a modern, functioning party political system into a largely medieval tradition of representation where, for example, until as late as 1948, a group of directly-elected States Members - the Jurats - were also judges of fact and law in the Royal Court. :o The first attempts (that I know of) to remove the Jurats from the States came in the late 1700's. That gives you an idea of just how long it takes to achieve any real type of political reform in Jersey. Is it any wonder that so many registered electors simply don't have any faith in the political process to achieve meaningful change before they snuff it?

So you ask me who I would vote for from that list of nobodies. Well for starters, I won't be able to vote for 15 of them as they won't appear on my own district ballot paper. Of the 2 names that I could actually vote for, I would rather marry Christian May than vote for one of them and I would only be persuaded to vote for the other one if the alternative candidates on the ballot paper happened to be N. Farage, D. Trump and K. Jong-un.

Enough said.  >:(
« Last Edit: September 23, 2017, 07:28:39 AM by Jerry Gosselin »

Offline Chevalier Blanc

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2017, 04:06:12 PM »
Well ozouf, gorst, maclean bailhache green routier farnham  no way will i vote for them!
Deputy norton no vote.

Offline Chevalier Blanc

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2017, 04:09:04 PM »
Well, we all know there is another party. Establishment Party!   If only the people would look at them in this way then the est.party would not get in.

Offline Jerry Gosselin

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2017, 04:50:16 AM »
Well ozouf, gorst, maclean bailhache green routier farnham  no way will i vote for them!
Deputy norton no vote.

Would you vote for someone with a haircut as bad as this?

https://mobile.twitter.com/Channel103/status/912610093539250176

Offline Jerry Gosselin

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2017, 07:36:57 PM »
Lord Labey catches some Aussie rays ahead of his 2018 re-election campaign:

https://mobile.twitter.com/RussellLabey/status/923810148358946816

Two questions:

1) How much has this junket cost the taxpayer?

2) Which other States Members have gone with him?

Offline Jerry Gosselin

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2017, 08:40:41 PM »
Is it really true or fake news about Eddie Noel?

I was half asleep early this morning and listening to the local news headlines. The top stories had finished and they were just reading the pointless flim flam and I thought I heard the voice say Eddie Noel was stepping down next year and gave some reason why he was doing it. The story was over in about 5 seconds like it was nothing important. I thought: "Did I really just hear that?" and decided that as I was so tired, I couldn't have heard it correctly.

Then I get up and check the news and there was nothing about it on most media sites, but the BBC site (which announced the story this morning on the radio) had this very understated article, with a tweet from Noel apparently confirming it:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-europe-jersey-41932003?ns_mchannel=social&ns_source=twitter&ns_campaign=bbc_live&ns_linkname=5a0eb6a6e4b0572901471e31%26Jersey%20minister%20'stepping%20down'%26&ns_fee=0#post_5a0eb6a6e4b0572901471e31

I am still very cautious. After all, the world wrote off Mugabe this week and he was shown conducting public duties in Zimbabwe today. My fear is that he just means stepping down as a Minister but he'll maintain his unopposed seat for life in St Lawrence.

If he subsequently confirms he's leaving the States then it is truly one of the best news stories for the island this year, particularly for those few employees at DFI whose jobs have not yet been siphoned off on the quiet to private companies. The public have suffered his regime of neglect too. I know a car park in town where the signs on the tarmac have not been painted for so many years that unknowing drivers (usually tourists) have been seen driving in by the exit and vice versa. Cars also park in the motorbike spaces because the sign on the tarmac stating that it is reserved for motorbikes is now completely unreadable. Another driver who arrives home late each night when this car park is full, has taken to parking in a place where he is not supposed to, sometimes restricting the access of pedestrians and other car users. The area is painted with lines making it clear that you can't park there, but once again the paint is so worn away that it seems the police have decided not to ticket this guy overnight in case he brings up the unclear signage in court as a defence.

Anyway thanks for all this, Eddie Noel. You certainly made a difference to Jersey which will linger on for years.

Now please f#*k off and never return!

Online Fritz

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2017, 12:41:03 AM »
I think that once he got the road outside his own house tidied up a couple of years ago he lost all interest in DFI position.

Online shortport

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2017, 08:49:18 PM »
Its official,Noel's not standing.Thats one bit of good news,lets hope the rest of the Council of Ministers decide not to stand.

Offline Jerry Gosselin

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2017, 08:13:51 AM »
Its official,Noel's not standing.Thats one bit of good news,lets hope the rest of the Council of Ministers decide not to stand.

It will be very interesting to see who is chosen as Noel's replacement as this is a rock-solid pro-government rotten borough where nobody dares stand against the official candidates (and anybody who dared would probably face humiliation at the ballot box). One way that the government thinks it can improve its image is by picking female and ethnic minority candidates - and if they happen to be gay than even better! By doing this it distracts the voter's attention away from the fact that they probably share the same backgrounds, political outlooks and social status as the existing white male Ministers and will support and defend most of the policies that have made the current Ministers so unpopular. In 2014, they deliberately recruited DJs to try to soften the government's image. This time they may also give the nod to a few of the Uni youngsters that they've been carefully grooming for political office since their school days. When these schoolkids are given a day in the Assembly pretending that they understand what politics is about, it is an excellent opportunity for the real States Members watching them in the public gallery to spot and recruit the ones they like most for the government cause.

So that is 4 characteristics to look out for: female, ethnic minority, gay and just out of Uni.

Whether he actually stands or not (and I believe he will) Establishment kingpin Andy Jehan will have a major influence on the government next Spring. He is already forcing through some of the policies he wants now - and he hasn't even been elected yet! He is probably personally responsible for persuading the government to change its mind and opt for a student loans scheme. The upper income households in Jersey are more than aware that most of the loans never get repaid and a future government could always decide to formally write off all the outstanding debts anyway. I am sure the wealthier households in the UK have probably worked out legal loopholes to enable their kids to avoid ever having to pay anything back. If debts aren't ever repaid then obviously this means that the taxpayer has paid the fees on behalf of those students. Interesting that Gordon Brown said that he wanted to introduce a tax on graduates rather than a student loan scheme when Labour were in government but Tony Blair wanted the loan scheme, which may well prove to be another disastrous Blair mistake that costs the country hundreds of billions of pounds. In Jersey it will just be presented as a fait accompli - there will be no discussion on whether alternatives to a student loan scheme might be better.

Also I would be amazed to put it mildly if Colin Macleod's name isn't on the senatorial ballot paper as it is so very obvious that he has been using his Co-op position for some time to promote his public image. Giving free fruit to kids, demonstrating on behalf of gays. Is there no end to the range of politically right on activities that this man does? Don't be fooled. He will be standing to join the government and defend most of its recent policies - not to oppose them.

Also, don't think I have not noticed how many dozens of times the Establishment media have allowed Jacqui Carrel free reign to promote herself. She has clocked up so many TV appearances this year that I reckon she could soon come close to breaking Lyndon Farnham's record set back in 2014. Ironically, after he became a Minister, the number of his TV appearances dropped off considerably because he was too busy doing ministerial work to have the time to get in front of the camera. We only tend to see him nowadays after Condor has committed its latest outrage against its customers, which is admittedly quite a lot. The only question is which seat Carrel will stand in (parish Deputy or island Senator?). We'll know soon enough. Personally I just wish she would do us all a favour and disappear up her own bum, never to be seen on BBC or ITV ever again.

Reform Jersey supporters Kit Ashton and Ollie Cooper will be standing or I'm a buttered cream cracker. If not under the official party banner then at least as Reform Jersey friendly independents, like Deputy Louise Doublet. I reckon the party will cop out and only run a weak, untested candidate for Senator, one who they don't really expect to get elected anyway. The interesting thing will be how much the unions would be willing to cough up to support a weak candidate that is not really expected to get elected. It will be a risk if they run Mezec for Senator, as Macleod and Jehan are guaranteed a seat if they stand. Gorst will also be returned. Then there is Sarah Ferguson who has the form on Mezec. So that's 4 seats he won't get. If someone like Shenton also decided to stand and then Anthony Lewis gets the sympathy vote, that's 6 seats down. That would leave Mezec fighting it out for 7th or 8th place. Or he could just stand again in Bum Town and get automatically re-elected on a 0.1% turnout. Seems like a no-brainer to me!  ;D

I cannot see how Ozouf could possibly retain his Senator's seat yet he has been clearly electioneering with his budget proposals this week so it seems he may be planning to stand again. All eyes will surely be on the St Saviour Constable's and Deputy's seats to see if he does a 'Len Norman' and makes the switch to save his career for at least another 4 years....

« Last Edit: November 23, 2017, 08:19:51 AM by Jerry Gosselin »

Online shortport

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2017, 10:58:20 PM »
I've got a feeling there will be a poor choice of candidates next year.I mean look at the pile of shit they will inherit from the last 10 years of establishment mismanagement.Almost every aspect of island life is in decline.A complete lack of environmental concerns,deliberate uncontrolled immigration,unaccountablity at every level of government,quangos wasting taxpayers money and not accountable to anyone.
Even if there was a candidate with the right intentions and intelligence,because there are no political parties he/she would be a lone voice amongst the other 50.
There is no hope unless a political party of at least 20 candidates got in and all voted the same.A bit like we've got now with the ministers and constables,only ones that would do some good for the island.Put the brakes on a bit and reevaluate what we are trying to achieve here,because to me it seems like its all about selling the island to immigrants to come here for a better life at the expense of the quality of life of people who already live here.

Offline Jerry Gosselin

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2017, 02:43:26 AM »
Put the brakes on a bit and reevaluate what we are trying to achieve here,because to me it seems like its all about selling the island to immigrants to come here for a better life at the expense of the quality of life of people who already live here.

I totally agree with you on this bit. You only have to see the number of times various ministers re-tweet attractive touristy photos of Jersey and add the hashtag 'theislandbreak' as if it is part of their remit to attract more 1(1)ks. They can't be aiming at normal tourists because they've allowed most of the hotels to be replaced by housing - there isn't enough room for real tourists here any more!

There is a slow, suffocating gentrification that has been going on here for a handful of years now. It has gone beyond just the loss of once affordable housing for locals. There seems to be a silent but nevertheless detectable attitude of contempt amongst some of the high-flying business people who have come here in recent years, attracted by those pictures of surfers at St Ouen's Bay. They never say it to your face but you can tell what they're thinking. You know the types- they're in the Bailiwick Express every week and that Gallery mag would have nothing to print if they weren't here.

Here's a story from today's Guardian that shows it is not just happening here. In this example, the business at the centre of this controversy appears to have closed, at least temporarily, to avoid a storm of protests from locals. If the same thing happened here, nobody would even notice the damn sign in the first place, let alone complain about it:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/nov/23/denver-coffee-shop-sign-gentrification-ink-five-points

Online shortport

« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2017, 01:01:37 AM »
A perfect example of this is Le Braye café.Now the home of fine dining and jazz nights,no longer the sort of place a family coming off the beach with the kids can get a cheap feed.A few months back a few work friends and myself went there for a breakfast.We were told it was 11.32 and breakfast was only served to 11.30,so we could only order lunch and as there were more than five of us there would be an extra charge!!Obviously we walked out and had a much more enjoyable experience at Rocco's.Another thing I notice happening in Le Braye car park is the owners of supercars (I noticed a Porsche,Ferrari and Lambougini) parking right over the white lines in the car park so no one could park next to them.Absolute contempt.

Offline Chevalier Blanc

« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2017, 06:19:49 PM »
Park across them and just wait and watch.

Online shortport

« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2017, 07:29:03 PM »
I was tempted,saw other people driving around looking for a place to park and they had the same look of disgust on their face.It just adds to the rising resentment in the island.