Author Topic: Hp printers advertised for sale in WH Smiths window in King Street  (Read 512 times)

Offline boatyboy

With Xmas coming around, or your old printer on its last legs a new printer may be on your shopping list. About a month ago I read of problems with HP printers. They have decided that they want their printers to use only their highly overpriced ink.

The way they have achieved this is to send a message via internet to the printers software, banning ink cartridges not made by themselves once you have purchased the printer. Many newer printers operate through wireless connection.

Due to obvious unhappy feedback of customers and third party cheaper ink suppliers, HP will now allow some printers to use other suppliers ink. The question is will  consumers now trust printers made by HP when there are excellent brands like Epson or Cannon out there. HP just bought Samsung printers so are they dodgy as well and also set up to restrict consumer choice in the future.

HP to reinstate 3rd party use of ink on “ some” printers.

Quote:

This customer-friendly move may just be a one-time thing. HP said it will continue to use security features that "protect our IP including authentication methods that may prevent some third-party supplies from working."

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2016/09/hp-to-issue-optional-firmware-update-allowing-3rd-party-ink/

HP’s official ink cartridges are significantly more expensive than some third-party brands. In our most recent ink survey, customers rated HP poorly for value for money.
You can save up to 80% by using third party inks or toners compared to branded ones, so it’s well worth shopping around. We are looking into this further to see what impact such a move could have on consumers.

https://blogs.which.co.uk/technology/printers-3/hp-printers-reject-cheap-ink-cartridges/

Anonymous Coward, Sep 20th, 2016 @ 10:34am

Printer companies vs. their customers

According to a client I have had who formerly wrote code for HP's printer division, there's another sneaky thing that printer companies do. He told me HP regularly harvests copies of the documents that have been printed on your device.
If you have a printer that stores documents after they have been printed, those documents are periodically uploaded to HP servers. He states it is done supposedly for "quality control", but given that a large number of documents are copied on a regular basis from every customer, it's hard to argue that this document collection is only about quality.

He believes a more plausible explanation is that the content is shared with HP's marketing department. He also believes this is a widespread practice in the printing industry, and not just limited to HP.

His recommendation: Use your firewall to prevent your printers from sending or receiving traffic to the internet outside of your LAN. Implementing this would also prevent manufacturers from remotely installing firmware "upgrades" that would remove your ability to use 3rd party cartridges.

Comment 15.

https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20160920/07021035568/hp-launched-delayed-drm-time-bomb-to-disable-competing-printer-cartridges.shtml#comments

BB
« Last Edit: October 26, 2016, 03:35:39 PM by boatyboy »

Offline Chevalier Blanc

Re: Hp printers advertised for sale in WH Smiths window in King Street
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2016, 04:03:00 PM »
I have used compatible ink in my canon and epson printers and they muck them up. Only use the makers ink.

Offline boatyboy

Re: Hp printers advertised for sale in WH Smiths window in King Street
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2016, 06:46:03 PM »

Fair comment Chev. but I have access to two printers both Epson. I always use ink purchased from a large internet company and have never had a problem over the years.