Author Topic: Child abuse in the Channel Islands  (Read 220395 times)

Offline Jerry Gosselin

Re: Child abuse in the Channel Islands
« Reply #1755 on: July 11, 2017, 09:21:21 AM »
Re that preliminary report dated September 2013 (the last link) - I can't help noticing that this was produced just weeks before they introduced the Breach 3 sanction, which stops all components of income support, including the child component. I look on page 29 where there is a paragraph devoted to income support and - surprise, surprise - no mention at all of sanctions.

It is now recognised that the Breach 3 policy was being unlawfully enforced on income support households until 30th June 2015 because Social Security were preventing many of those sanctioned households from making fresh benefit claims after the 6-week limit of the Breach 3 had been reached. The households were wrongly informed in the Breach 3 notice that the sanctioned jobseeker had to continue satisfying jobseeking requirements throughout the 6-week period despite the whole household having no eligibility for income support (nor for special payments) for those 6 weeks. Therefore if the jobseeker was deemed not to have satisfied jobseeking activities for any part of the 42 day period by the time the 42 day period had expired, the Department would continue to refuse to allow the household to make a fresh claim for benefit indefinitely and with no statutory right of appeal against the continuation of the ban on making a fresh claim.

Just months after I first exposed what was going on by comments on this website, the States quietly amended the law to make the Department's (previously unlawful) actions lawful with effect from the date of the amendment. They also introduced a statutory right of appeal (albeit just a sham because of the length of time the appeal would take to reach the Tribunal - at least 6 months) and they limited the maximum period that a household could be prevented from making a fresh claim to one year (previously unstated and therefore indefinite). Some weeks before the law was changed, 2 St Helier Deputies who had originally opposed the Breach 3 - one of them vociferously complaining in 2013 about its detrimental effect on the children in these households - were informed by e-mail that Social Security had been unlawfully enforcing the same condition that it was now proposing to introduce into the Regulations. Neither of those Deputies did anything at all. They asked no questions in the Assembly and both took the day off when the amendment was adopted on 23rd June 2015.

As for Reform Jersey, Deputy Tadier also slipped out of the Chamber as the amendment was being debated and did not cast a vote. Deputy Mezec cast a vote but very uncharacteristically kept completely silent. Deputy Southern, who could not possibly have failed to understand the significance of the proposition, made only brief and general comments about his supposed opposition to sanctions, without making any reference to the unlawful actions of the Department. As a member of the Scrutiny Panel which had responsibility for asking the Minister about the reasons for the law amendment at its quarterly meeting in May 2015, he was careful to make himself absent from the island on the day when Pinel was questioned in public about the proposition. It is very unusual for Southern to miss Panel meetings. Very strange.

To this day the States Assembly has managed to keep this scandal completely out of the public domain for the best part of 4 years and no damages have been paid to any of those claimants who were unlawfully prevented from applying for benefit. In fact, they don't even know that they were treated unlawfully unless they happen to read this...
« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 06:12:42 PM by Jerry Gosselin »

Offline Jerry Gosselin

« Reply #1756 on: July 12, 2017, 06:11:20 PM »
It's funny how everyone suddenly becomes mute when confronted by realities about politicians and their island that they just refuse to believe.

It's called The Jersey Way - anyone heard of it?  ::)

Offline boatyboy

« Reply #1757 on: July 12, 2017, 07:51:19 PM »
On that note Jerry,  had a chat with a few of the old boys. The ones that said Syvret was " off his trolly " and basically a  " pain in the arse " On the subject of child abuse the general consensus in the group was although not right - it was a long time ago eh !

Wrong on both counts, but I did not need to say anything, they new.

bb

Offline Jerry Gosselin

« Reply #1758 on: July 23, 2017, 08:55:58 AM »
Bailhache has slapped 'protected status' on his tweets so that only approved followers can read them (and reply to them!):

https://mobile.twitter.com/JerseyDiplo

If one Minister can do it then others could easily do it too. He wants the benefits of broadcasting his spin on Twitter but not the downside, i.e. receiving tweets from voters who don't agree with him. Come next Spring he'll pretend to be tolerant for a fortnight and sit in various parish halls as the voters have their say, but on Twitter it's a different story.

I know of another govt. member who is apparently blocking the Twitter accounts of those he doesn't agree with - and I'm not talking about offensive messages or threats of violence. This could be the tip of the iceberg. It is hard to estimate how many other States Members might be blocking or muting Twitter accounts in order to keep negative comments off their timelines. It would be interesting to speculate whether the Twitter accounts of States Members might fall under a FOI request, but I rather doubt they would.

If anybody has been blocked themselves by a States Member, feel free to share...

Offline shortport

« Reply #1759 on: July 23, 2017, 08:55:36 PM »
Distancing themselves from the real world,thats the Jersey Way.What with the JEP taking stuart Syvret's interview off its on line edition.
It seems that as usual the Jersey Way is going on the defensive.They've already timed the release of the care inquiry with their summer recess,hoping no doubt that when they come back the current interest in the Jersey Way will have died down.I think we all know nothing will change unless they are forced to by some external factors,it won't come from within.If we are frustrated by the ruling elite of this island imagine how the victims of abuse must feel like.Hopeless.

Offline Chevalier Blanc

« Reply #1760 on: July 26, 2017, 04:43:20 PM »
Just when i thought we were getting the JEP doing the real job and telling the truth.  They once again clam up and only do what the CoM tells them.

Offline boatyboy

« Reply #1761 on: July 26, 2017, 09:33:30 PM »

To be fair they have returned the article into the public domain click on link below.

The Trolls comments,  he that talks to himeself in many names, and needs the benefit of Jerseys mental heath professionals but refuses as he is in denial - all his obssesive comments have been removed.

http://jerseyeveningpost.com/features/2017/07/25/stuart-syvret-interview-a-systemic-decades-long-betrayal-of-the-innocents-2/

Not often do the JEP carry out such a U turn, well done to them.

bb.

Offline Chevalier Blanc

« Reply #1762 on: August 02, 2017, 05:03:28 PM »
So bailhache was there to help andrew lewis at the enquiry yesterday.  I think that says it all.proves that they are doing everything thety possible can to get lewis off. Remember bailhache himself lied about the report he was reading on the plane. They all cover each others arse when they are in the shit, that is the establishment party for you! The sooner they get voted out the better for all!

Offline boatyboy

« Reply #1763 on: August 08, 2017, 06:52:48 PM »
The Child Abuse Inquiry Report followers have had time to digest the completed report and have started putting pen to paper or fingers to keyboard. The strangest and most disturbing element of this enquiry is lack of effort on behalf of Francis Oldham and her panel to call important witnesses. The shying away from interaction with the public  through it's dismal and almost impossible to navigate WeB site holding statements and documents, which was supposed to be user friendly, but is a distaster by design ?

The strange carry on ( to me ) of having the same witness coming back several times but giving them a different name or number on different visits. Not being Salmon principles compliant.

The narrowness of the TORs.  The report should be commended for puttting the dirty washing out on the line, but does not hold to account those managers or other idiots that are enjoying big tax funded pensions with nothing more than a slap on the wrist. Is there not an abuse while in public employment or office law in Jersey ?

The lack of proper support for witnesses  ( victims ) while the establishment civil servants had plenty, I have more thoughts but these are my general observations as a layman.

Polo and others on the other hand have taken a detailed look at all the goings on regarding the inquiry details and build up for some considerable time. He has written a blog on his reflections of Jersey's biggest ever inquiry and it is down to earth and very interesting:

Lewis - Minister

To put Lewis in context, he is a weak man who was catapulted into a ministerial position to do the bidding of the establishment and then hung out to dry when he started digging himself (and others) into a hole and wouldn't stop.

His major gaffe was to have allowed himself to be the fall guy in the suspension (effective sacking) of the Police Chief in a process that broke every rule in the book.

He subsequently repeatedly lied in an effort to redeem himself and scared the pants off the establishment who feared that he might thereby put their corrupt and clandestine hold over the polity of Jersey in jeopardy.

…………….

As far as I am concerned, Graham Power's suspension is a text book case of such interference. It is also a litmus test for such interference. That's why I make no apology for stressing it.

The Inquiry itself went on to record our disquiet at the manner in which the suspension was handled and in respect of some of the evidence given to us about it. We refer, in particular, to the following issues:

……………..

Person 737

To those who may wonder at my cheek in naming

………….

LINK:

http://photopol.blogspot.co.uk/2017/08/old-ham-soon-forgotten.html

All credit to Syvret, VFC, Rico,Polo, T. Pitman,M. Higgins and others who have reported and published details about JERSEY's Child ABUSE travesty as they see it, unlike the paid Jersey Media who historically have abused their readership and their positions by not researching the whole truth or being afraid to publish. The scrutiny review by Trevor Pitman and his panel confirms this sad view of Jersey's accredited Media with the odd exceptional article occasionally seeing the light of day.

BB

Offline Chevalier Blanc

« Reply #1764 on: August 09, 2017, 04:03:30 PM »
I just wish lewis would come clean and tell all on how he was pressed in to sacking the chief of police. He must know that he is the patsy!
Why would he kept quiet on walker and co.  You have bailhache defending him and why did the committee not tell bailhache you shut up because this is not part of the enquire.
bailhache was there to make sure lewis kept his cool and not give anything away. lewis will learn in the future after the establishment forgets all about him.
gorst on a one way ticket and they will forget about him too. He is only the front man another patsy!  When will he learn.
So does the establishment party have something on these people that makes them not to tell the truth!

Offline boatyboy

« Reply #1765 on: September 10, 2017, 03:13:01 PM »
Will the Jersey Child Abuse Investigation feature in the UK sex abuse probe ? Only if a strong connection with the island is made ?

Here they come ?

The controversial investigation into allegations that Sir Edward Heath was a paedophile has been dramatically widened, The Mail on Sunday can reveal.

Officials at Britain’s biggest ever public inquiry confirmed that they are to study the findings of an explosive police report into claims that the former Prime Minister was a child abuser.

The statement follows a little-noticed change on the IICSA website on August 30 that the scope of its Westminster inquiry is to be widened to take account of ‘recent police investigations’.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4869068/Sex-abuse-probe-investigate-Ted-Heath.html

Can Edward Heath be connected to Jersey ?

This is the secret penthouse hideaway in Jersey used by former Prime Minister Edward Heath, reports Lucy Thornton from Jersey for the Sunday People

The Waters Edge hotel in Bouley Bay - once considered the best on the island - was then owned by Heath’s pal, a former nurse called Mike Wavell.

Mr Wavell later became President of the Defence Committee, in charge of Jersey’s police force.

This week Linda Corby told how she stood with another local politician, Ralph Vibert, who has since died and watched as 11 children got onto Heath’s yacht, the ‘Morning Cloud’.

Later that day they left St Helier Yacht club and they travelled to Bouley Bay and watched the youngsters get off again.

She said after another head count they realised only ten had returned.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/edward-heaths-secret-jersey-hideaway-6220926

End.

Will Linda Corby a contributor to the article about Edward Heath be called to give evidence of children on his boat with one missing on return to the UK enquiry ? The States thought it was all over with the recent final report, not looking that way if Operation Rectangle gets hauled into the UK investigation. It would not be unreasonable to believe that behind closed doors detractors from and of Jersey are pushing for exactly that.

I have written before and truly believe that with the bad taste in the mouth of high powered states employees like the respected Auditor General  Chris Swinson ( UK Government advisor ),ex head of the Jersey treasury Laura Rowley, left quickly a week before accounts were to be signed off. Mr Flowers head of property services left after a dispute,  to name three high powered employee's I remember, no doubt there are others. What will their conversations be about the Island Government that employed them before they left abruptly to influential people off island ?

Boatyboy.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2017, 03:38:33 PM by boatyboy »