Author Topic: So TLS is the new Chief Minister  (Read 15960 times)

Offline voiceforchildren

• voiceforchildren
Re: So TLS is the new Chief Minister
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2008, 05:30:35 PM »
Tony.

I think if you were to swap Len Norman with Bob Hill it would be spot on.
An alternative to Jersey's State Media

cyrillem

« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2008, 05:32:41 PM »
Tetaras - I believe TLS would have won an Island wide election, but there isn't going to be one, and instead of moaning, you should be moaining at every person who didn't vote, and telling them to do so, therefore they then elect a person of their choice who will make decisions which are best for them, resulting in a more diverse chamber, less moaning more action!
I also believe Frank Walker would have been re-elected,
Tony the Prof, I don't think you are far wrong, if not bang on, were you in the chamber?:P and does Len Norman not like Terry?

Offline newmac

« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2008, 06:46:10 PM »
TLS may have got back in but he certainly wouldn't have topped the poll.

Offline rico sorda

• locked & loaded lets rock rsx
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2008, 07:13:53 PM »
Just watched a cracking little interview on the Voiceforchildren blogsite with TLS... Fair play to terry for giving them an interview good start...

Well done VFC

rs
one ban away from oblivion rsx

Offline voiceforchildren

• voiceforchildren
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2008, 08:03:00 PM »
Rico, Tetras.

Thanks for your support and encouraging words. Yes I do have some film footage af Senator Terry (GST28) Le Main but I don't think it could be described as "an interview". I shall be posting it on my Blog in a few days I want to leave the Terry (GST28) Le sueur one up for a couple of days, more out of respect than anything.

He is the ONLY politician to voluntarily talk to me on camera and I must respect him for that. Perhaps if I hone my interviewing techniques other Politicians might be as willing as he was.

I must add if our local "journalists" were doing a decent and impartial job people like me wouldn't have to try to be journalists!!

Thanks again for your encouraging words and look out for the Tel Boy Blog!!

cyrillem

« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2008, 11:30:49 PM »

If you compare this to a horse race it would be a bit like a trainer putting out his 6th best horse to win a vital race. Not a thing I would contempt thats for sure.

Frank Walker becoming CM is not like a trainer running his sixth best horse at all. Just because he came 6th in the election, does not mean he was the sixth best candidate, it just means he was the sixth most popular.

And if the votes made by the chamber do not represent the wishes of the Island, then these people who live in Jersey, who are eligible to vote and have opinions but do not wish to vote because they are dissilusioned, really should vote. Because if each person in each Parish who didn't normally vote, voted in protest for one particular candidate then the states would be more pleasing to this unsatisfied group. It isn't TLS's fault that the public don't vote. And it isn't his fault that he got elected on a six year mandate. It was the public who choose him, this isnt America where you can rig elections like Bush, Kennedy etc this is Jersey (excluding St Helier number 2, which is riggable)!

And furthermore anyone who thinks Breckon could do a better job than TLS at top is seriously deluded. I like Breckon as much as the next man, and voted for him, but he hasn't got the intelligence, charisma or experience ot be CM. TLS is only lacking Charisma. Breckon as now a Senator would be far more better with a ministerial position, maybe not even too high up, maybe jsut a deputy, where he can scrutinise, and work hard - like he does best, and like he says, remove the elements of secrecy for the ministers

Offline tonytheprof

« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2008, 11:49:50 PM »
Voice for Children - great clip on your site. Good questions, and good to see he took the time to answer. Could people vote twice with the Royal Square "election" as Terry suggested? I thought it was sharp of him to consider that.

Why I put Len Norman in the Alan Breckon camp?

a) completely excluded from the last Council of Ministers after he lost to Guy
b) brought in a strong GST exemptions proposition to the States at the end of the summer.

His manifesto is quite non-establishment on that:

Maintain the campaign for a general election with all States Members being elected on the same day.
Continue to oppose inappropriate, large scale development in our parish. This is an issue I feel very strongly about and have campaigned vigorously, and with some success, to maintain the rural aspect and culture of St Clement.
Continue to oppose indirect taxations such as the Goods and Services Tax.

All these bring him into confrontation with the existing "establishment", especially GST, so that however much he was part of the establishment in pre-Walker days, he has moved to an oppositional position, rather than (as Ben Fox, Jacqui Huet) Walker voting fodder. He was also passed over for Health, not even considered by Frank, and that must have been a blow to his self-esteem. If TSL got in, with more of the same (which looks likely - the usual suspects - Ozouf, Maclean, Shenton, Routier, Le Main on his list of proposed candidates), his best bet would have been tactical - Alan Breckon. So I'm not convinced I'm wrong yet!

My next guesses:

1 Planning - Freddie Cohen
2 Housing - Terry Le Main
3 Treasury - Philip Ozouf
4 Economic Development - Alan MacLean
5 Home Affairs - Ian Le Marquand
6 Health - Paul Routier
7 Social Security - Ian Gorst

Ben Shenton - Education?
??? - TTS? Phil Rondel?

Offline voiceforchildren

• voiceforchildren
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2008, 08:39:02 AM »
Tony.

Thanks for your positive comments on my latest video "interview". In answer to your question could people have voted twice? In a word yes. The purpose of the vote was more symbolic than it was results.

As for Len Norman and especially his manifesto which should have started "once upon a time" I will be publishing a Blog on him soon and these words "Continue to oppose inappropriate, large scale development in our parish. This is an issue I feel very strongly about and have campaigned vigorously, and with some success, to maintain the rural aspect and culture of St Clement". might just make him look a bit economic with the truth.

Deputy Ann Dupre has told me a couple of weeks ago she would be voting for TLS for CM Deputy Ian (GST28) Gorst has confimed to me he voted for TLS. Len Norman won't tell me who he voted for, transparency and open government?

Hope I'm wrong about Len Norman coz i'm stuck with him for the next 3 years, or should I say he's stuck with me?

Offline tonytheprof

« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2008, 08:48:06 AM »
Len as Constable will fight the Parish corner more than Len as Senator; there is a whole different approach to being Constable, even than being Deputy, because of the local administration side of things (which the Deputies get only on the periphery) - i.e. rates, housing the elderly, traffic and roads - the celebrated roads committee etc).

At least the Constables all (I think now) live in their parishes. St Helier had to suffer for many years one who did not, and who therefore felt no impact on rates, and went for massive refurbishments of the town hall with no regard for cost.

Regarding Len, I always print to PDF all the election manifestos, interviews etc of candidates to check against what they did later!

cyrillem

« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2008, 09:35:40 PM »
I voted in the Time4change poll and there was nothing stopping you voting more than once. My firned and myself discussed this as there were a stack of voting slips sitting there with nobody watching.

Offline rico sorda

• locked & loaded lets rock rsx
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2008, 10:00:34 PM »
cyrillem i voted at the t4c poll. You would have looked a right dick standing there filling out more than one.. Tetras i agree with you what's wrong with a little trust..

rs
one ban away from oblivion rsx

Offline newmac

« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2008, 10:21:33 PM »
Here's a list of States members that won't be on TLS xmas card list ;)

Roy Le Hérissier
Montfort Tadier
Jeremey Maçon
Tracey Vallois
Geoff Southern
Deborah De Sousa
Shona Pitman
Trevor Pitman
Bob Hill
Stuart Syvret
Alan Breckon
Andrew Greene
Paul Le Claire
Carolyn Labey
Mike Higgins
Daniel Wimberley
Judy Martin

cyrillem

« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2008, 10:34:30 PM »
I am jsut saying that it is open to abuse and with this apparent "hatred" it would not shock me if someone voted twice against him to prove a point.

Offline voiceforchildren

• voiceforchildren
« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2008, 08:35:18 AM »
I think a few people might have voted twice. The votes for TLS did appear a bit high.

Offline Gazza

« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2008, 09:35:38 PM »
Tetaras - I believe TLS would have won an Island wide election, but there isn't going to be one, and instead of moaning, you should be moaining at every person who didn't vote, and telling them to do so, therefore they then elect a person of their choice who will make decisions which are best for them, resulting in a more diverse chamber, less moaning more action!
I also believe Frank Walker would have been re-elected,
Tony the Prof, I don't think you are far wrong, if not bang on, were you in the chamber?:P and does Len Norman not like Terry?
I am surprised that no one has picked up the point, but TLS was within 300 votes of AB and with the same amount of votes would have finished THIRD just behind AB this time around. The point is, one is said to be a man of the People and the other not. interesting???