Author Topic: GST makes between £50-55 Million a year.  (Read 2344 times)

Jason the Maverick

GST makes between £50-55 Million a year.
« on: August 21, 2008, 05:44:16 PM »
http://www.thisisjersey.com/2008/08/21/gst-may-make-an-extra-10m-a-year/

ON the day that ministers meet for crunch talks on a rescue package for Islanders struggling with rising prices, it has been claimed that GST might make £10m a year more than expected.

A leaked ministerial memo says that annual GST takings might be £50–55m rather than the £45m forecast.

The memo says that the Treasury’s figures do not take account of Jersey’s economic growth since 2004, and that ministers face defeat if they continue to fight moves to exempt food from the three per cent sales tax.

Treasury Minister Terry Le Sueur says the GST receipts are likely to be higher than first expected, but has declined to say by how much.

I have been exchanging a few e-mails with Time 4 Change people over the past 2 days and apart from them accusing me of being a GST supporter and Walkerite as per usual, they claim that they will get rid of this Tax.  They have already suggested a few of my own ideas which I posted on here back in April, so they obviously read this Forum.  The problem now for them, is that firstly it looks like GST will be off food by the time the elections come up so that cannot be used as a weapon and even taking away the food tax, this is a hell of a lot of money to find. 

We will have to wait and see what they propose because obviously they have done their homework  :-\

Jason the Maverick

Re: GST makes between £50-55 Million a year.
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2008, 08:47:14 PM »
We knew about the proposition around 2 months ago and I spoke to a well known Senator about it all and basically complained about my shopping bill going up.

They didn't expect the price hikes in food, in fact nobody did so it was inevitable to be honest.

Offline sylander

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2008, 11:26:21 AM »
In a period of boredom I actually read the states anti-inflationary report. It goes into quite alot of detail outlining all the different effects of inflation in Jersey and how to combat them etc. But it doesn't mention a word about GST! How is it possible to ignore such a clearly fundamental factor?

Jason the Maverick

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2008, 12:24:08 PM »
The Island can only go one way and that is into economic difficulty.  They spend money as soon as it appears.