Author Topic: Are frozen foods just as good as fresh?  (Read 2856 times)

Jason the Maverick

Are frozen foods just as good as fresh?
« on: August 11, 2008, 05:35:01 PM »
The increase in the price of food has resulted in an increase in the number of people using frozen food, according to the Jersey Consumer Council.

The council said frozen food used to be considered a "cheaper" option, but it was now re-establishing itself.

Islanders have seen an increase in food shopping bills since the introduction of the 3% Goods and Sales Tax (GST) and the global rise in food prices.

Council spokeswoman Suzette Hase said frozen food can be as healthy as fresh.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/jersey/7553996.stm

Online Fritz

Re: Are frozen foods just as good as fresh?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2008, 05:50:50 PM »
A decent cook can use either frozen or fresh, and you wouldn,t know the difference.

A lot of the "Supposed", fresh meat you buy from butchers could have been in frozen storage for up to eight years.

Jason the Maverick

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2008, 05:52:15 PM »
A lot of the "Supposed", fresh meat you buy from butchers could have been in frozen storage for up to eight years.

???

Offline danrok

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2008, 06:31:45 PM »
Beef does keep well, but even at about -20 C it will only keep for up to a year.

I would have thought any meat which has been frozen by a meat company, would have to be sold in its frozen state, as frozen, not fresh.

Jason the Maverick

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2008, 06:40:59 PM »
I thought 8 years sounded a bit too long.

Offline ageofaquarius

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2008, 09:04:13 PM »
I do believe (well 10 years ago it was true) that the average age of 'fresh meat' was at least 5 years old, I'm sure things have changed, but our meat is no way as fresh as we think.  I do believe that frozen food is just as good,