Author Topic: This is OTT do you not think? GST on bags!  (Read 15303 times)

Offline Bea

Re: This is OTT do you not think? GST on bags!
« Reply #60 on: May 13, 2008, 04:27:26 PM »
Seen comments in the JEP, so it must be good.  There have been a few letters written that have brought up some suggestions after they appeared on here.
I have noticed that too.We will be watched that's for sure .Have to err on the side of caution as far as libel is concerned .Noticed Roy Le Herrisier mentioned online forums in his letter tonight (JEP).He did bring up a valid point , that it will make getting a fair trial for some difficult .Would not want to see some of the culprits walk free,because they were tried by a kangaroo court elsewhere .Something to bear in mind when we write .

Jason the Maverick

« Reply #61 on: May 13, 2008, 05:42:31 PM »
I think some posts will pursaude people to write to the paper as well.

The Internet is a great way of saying what you believe and it is instant.  Some letters I have sent in have taken over a week to be published.

Jason the Maverick

« Reply #62 on: June 11, 2008, 05:45:53 PM »
Wire shopping baskets go missing 

All profits made from the carrier charges are going to island charities
A large number of wire shopping baskets have disappeared from supermarkets around Jersey.

The Channel Islands' Co-operative Society said branches of its supermarkets throughout the island had been affected.

About 100 baskets have been taken from St Peter's Co-Op - 75% of those available in the shop.

The baskets have disappeared in the past five weeks, when a charge was introduced for plastic carrier bags.

Some people are taking the baskets straight out to their cars

Jim Hopley, Co-op

The 5p charge was introduced at the beginning of May to help reduce the environmental damage and cost of disposing of plastic bags.

All profits from the carriers are being given to the Jersey Hospice and local environmentally-friendly causes.

The chief executive of the Co-op said the scale of the problem had been "surprising".

Jim Hopley told BBC News the company did not believe islanders were deliberately "stealing" the baskets.

Bags for life

"I think it's more a case of shoppers who have forgotten to bring their bags with them are being tempted to utilise the wire baskets," he said.

"I've witnessed it myself. Some people are taking the baskets straight out to their cars, then bringing them back the next time they shop and doing it again.

"I'm sure it will settle down, but we're a little concerned because the baskets cost about £3 to £4 each."

Mr Hopley said the Co-op was offering shoppers good quality bags for life for 10p each.

Island supermarkets run by Chequers and Marks & Spencer have also introduced a charge for carriers, but said they were not aware of a similar problem.

Offline admin

• Administrator
« Reply #63 on: August 29, 2008, 11:27:29 PM »
I have just returned from a week visit to the UK where they have normal carrier bags for free still but also have the option to buy bags for life.

The thing is though that the bags for life in the UK are only 5p including the Co-Op bags that we have to pay 10p for here. I brought a nice selection of the bags for life, the co-op (exactly the same as here except 5p cheaper) Asda, Lidle, Tesco etc, all 5p.

Why are we paying 10p for bags for life in Jersey when they are sold for 5p in the UK? Why are we being charged 5p for the ones that cost a percentage of a penny to buy? surely we should be receiving the bags for life at 5p and normal ones at 1p (including GST which will be on the sum amount sold by the company).

Another chance to get ripped off and blame taxes for the cost.

Offline danrok

« Reply #64 on: August 30, 2008, 12:25:27 AM »
I thought that at least one supermarket was giving the 5p paid for bags to charity?

Offline Fritz

« Reply #65 on: August 30, 2008, 05:15:05 PM »
Best thing to do is only purchase what you can carry without a bag.

See how long it takes them to introduce free bags again.

I dont believe all the crap that "bag money", goes to charity anyway.