Author Topic: Deputy Higgins and the Secretive Treasury Minister.  (Read 1818 times)

Offline boatyboy

Deputy Higgins and the Secretive Treasury Minister.
« on: February 05, 2014, 03:08:24 PM »

Deputy Higgins asks a reasonable question but again gets no joy.

He simple asked that the Treasury Minister Ozouf, for the Mackenzie Report ( looking into the future of the finance industry )  to be made available to all States members so they too benefit from it’s optimism, as described by Phillip Ozouf.

Why do I write this ?

He answers deputy Higgins, by giving a load of waffle that Jerseys’ competitors must not get their hands on the detailed and intellectual Mackenzie report which is full of figures, so it must be out of reach and confidential to all but a few States members. Deputy Higgins, Senator Ferguson and no doubt many other states members are very capable of digesting financial reports.

Obviously this is complete nonsense as, deputy Higgins then points out. He was not asking for public disclosure just elected States members, so they could view for themselves, the reason for the treasury ministers optimism.

No - it’s confidential - say’s the Treasury Minister Ozouf, he of course was sending out a different underlying message.

To quote deputy Sean Power calling backbenchers, the  “great unwashed ” are obviously of too low a class to be trusted to read tax-funded financial reports. So they will have no access, on the say so of Phillip Ozouf.

Where is the chief minister, supporting democracy he just sits there saying nothing ?

Just occasionally one gets a fleeting glimpse of why enthusiasm and verbal diatribe, can reveal the danger of a man out of control, a man that is so full of himself he becomes a liability. A man that does not wish to be held accountable for his decisions, and one of the best ways to do that is to withhold information.
This proves ( IMO ) Philip Ozouf no longer has any place in a democratic thinking Government and is a serious liability. Some States members, although far brighter and better with figures than the treasury minister will not be able to do their jobs  because the information in the report and no doubt other key indicators are withheld from them.

The evidence is provided by the excellent TJW and can be heard two thirds through questions being asked of Phillip Ozouf. Please click on link.

1st question period – Minister for Treasury and Resources

http://thejerseyway.blogspot.co.uk/2014/02/questions-without-answers-040214.html

Thanks again to TJW for making this available.

bb
« Last Edit: February 06, 2014, 12:41:24 AM by boatyboy »

Offline man in the street

Re: Deputy Higgins and the Secretive Treasury Minister.
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2014, 11:31:40 PM »
i agree with you  boatyboy , those  who  want to hush hush  the report  have  no  place in  our  publicly  elected  goverment .

and powers comment  about the great unwashed ,   just shows the  contempt that  is on offer to the electorate .

Offline shortport

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2014, 02:39:28 AM »
Another report that was not disclosed or rather just cherry picked and the bits offered to the public was the one examining the pros and cons of having 11k's moving here.It is not all advantageous to the local population and the fact that the full report is not available obviously tells me that there are negatives that Ozouf doesn't want debated as in a normal open society.It is clear that the the majority of the islands 'plebs' don't even register on his radar.He has his finance blinkers firmly on.Maybe he should take them off now and then and see the island in a different light.

Offline boatyboy

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2014, 03:53:31 PM »
The Jersey States have passed the Freedom of Information law, and are waiting for it to be drawn up and passed by the privy council. The States have agreed to abide by the notion that it is to enacted regardless of it not being in place.

Have you noticed how the very few requests from media are never made by the BBC or CTV with the odd one coming from the JEP ?

After the disgusting show by Philip Ozouf  refusing the majority of states members copies of the Mackenzie report, and ministers keeping it for their eyes only, why does the BBC, CTV or JEP  send a request in with a simple question to the Chief Minister under the freedom of information act.

" How many reports, including arms length agency quango reports, have the Council of Ministers refused to publish over the last three years to the rest of their colleagues in the assembly "?

Regarding the important Mackenzie report which attempts to road map the future of Jerseys' important finance industry, I suggest Deputy Higgins or any other member force the Treasury Minister to release the full report to States members calling for a vote on the matter.

Of course it will probably be defeated using 22 ministers and assistant ministers and a hand full of do as you are told members, but this is not the point. It would let the public know, which members in the States supports the secrecy game, disfranchising  elected States members, and who supports democracy and sharing of tax funded reports for the  wider good of Jersey.

This blatant arrogant show of " its all about me, and my power, and I say no " by Senator Ozouf and by default the CoM who say nothing in opposition to withholding reports, goes completely against my principles of intelligent debate and good Government. 

Boatyboy.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2014, 03:58:07 PM by boatyboy »

Offline Pomme de terre

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2014, 01:02:07 AM »
Hi Boaty

Just as a point of precision, it's McKinsey not Mackenzie. Huge international management consultancy, deeply embedded in politics. William Hague is ex-McKinsey, check out the list of alumni on wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McKinsey_%26_Company

http://www.mckinsey.com

Offline boatyboy

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2014, 01:07:29 AM »

Thanks Pomme

Welcome back and thanks for that, I  heard the name on TJW but up until now have not seen it written.

The spelling is noted.

bb