Author Topic: More Jobs Lost  (Read 4760 times)

Offline Fritz

Re: More Jobs Lost
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2011, 03:19:32 AM »
We are now living in an, "Upside-down Pyramid".

A Pyramid is a strong structure because the base is wide and the top is narrow.

In financial or managerial terms this is still a robust structure.

Lots of folk at the bottom working to support the diminishing,(easy to carry), levels above.

Not so now. >:(

One person produces. (Product or service).
Two, non-productive folk,supervise the one productive person.
Three,non-productive folk ,manage the supervisors of the one productive person.
Five administrators take care of the paperwork involved in managing three managers. :o

Etcetera.

Productive person gets sick and is signed off for two weeks, (On full pay).
Management continue to ,"Manage", what? And at what cost? ::)

The private sector cannot afford such waste.
What makes folk think that tax-payers,(Employers of civil servants), can  >:( >:( >:(
« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 03:22:12 AM by Fritz »

Offline man in the street

« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2011, 11:22:10 PM »
totaly agree.

reminds me of the storey that was going round about the ant( worker ) and  the lion( over paid , fully supported manager )

Offline Fritz

« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2011, 01:53:01 AM »
Apparently, even Dandara are now laying off staff!!
I,ve had a few guys arrive on my site over the last couple of weeks seeking work.
What interested me was that each of them presented me with ,(on the face of it), quite impressive C.V,s.
They had all worked for, and been trained by, Dandara.
These, now local? unemployed semi-skilled workers had all been in Jersey for between four and twenty-four months .

What happened to the five year rule?
With unemployment running at record highs, why the heck are Dandara still allowed to import immigrant labour?

Their threats to planning that they will have to lay off hundreds of workers if developments aren,t approved might not carry any weight at all.
They do not actually employ much local labour.

Offline man in the street

« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2011, 09:26:18 PM »
hopefully they will leave, as one would also hope they are not entitled  to any income support.
 i have yet to see a court case in the local rag , for someone employing a person who  had broken the five year rule ( not saying that there  was'nt a case  ever).

imho the five year rule  was a carrot thrown to the locals , to say we care about you .
 expect more lay offs and short time work .
 i dont mind  as long as i can  have food on the table  and pay the lecky bill.(a bit of  fruggle  living)

Offline danrok

« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2011, 11:10:24 PM »
Did they not say that, not once have they rejected an application to employ a non-local (no 5 years), in the finance sector?

If so, it is just pointless bureaucracy, which does nothing to protect established residents.

Offline Fritz

« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2011, 03:59:06 AM »
Small firms are continually targeted and threatened by the ROU team.
A few years ago I employed a young Polish lad, (After advertising vacancies through the local "Job-centre").
He was the only one out of four applicants who arrived on site with a Social Security card.(The other three had popped into the job-centre and noted the vacancy, and wanted to be paid,"Cash in-hand").
I employed the Polish lad on the advertised, "Short term basis".
More work came in, the lad remained employed.
After about three years I was ,"Hauled over the coals", by the ROU for employing someone who didn,t comply with the 5 year rule.
I refused to sack the lad, (I already had him on a site management course at Highlands), and asked why Dandara were allowed to actively recruit from abroad, when I had only employed someone who had been issued with a Social Security card and already lived here.

"They have a license", I was told.
"Give me a license then", I said.
"You wont get one", said the ROU ,"Inspector".
"OK, I haven,t even applied for a license, but you are telling me I won,t get one! How does that work"?
I told the ,"Inspector", that I was not going to sack my employee, and I would quite happily go to court and explain why.

Not heard anything from them in the last few years.

Offline boatyboy

« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2011, 05:40:59 AM »
Fair play to you  Fritz.

I have a couple of friends who work for the States nicer more professional people you would be lucky to meet. Then  there are the civil servants who get so power mad, paid so much money, think they are untouchable actually they have become bullies. When offered a court date, as per your kind offer,  run a mile because they know they would not stand a chance.

What does worry me is that these people have managers. These managers are managing who exactly, and to what standard ?

BB 

rogueelement

« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2011, 10:01:39 PM »
Greece in a microcosm , Jersey is being raped by the civil service from the top down , Austerity measures? We would need a report costing several million to examine where savings could be made .