Author Topic: New servers  (Read 2971 times)

Offline admin

• Administrator
New servers
« on: November 12, 2009, 07:03:03 AM »
Hi,

Many of you would have noticed that we have had fewer people visiting over the last month or so. The main reason for this is that the server we have been using is shared with others who have been a bit naughty and therefore placed the IP addresses on a blacklist. Most server admins check these lists and look to see if they are correct or not and manually change them, moreso if they are emailed. However most of you (and those that can't access this but hear second hand) run through the JT DNS Servers, and I will leave you all to work out what I think of them.

Today we have purchased our own Virtual Server. It has its own IP address and we will be moving to the newer version 2.0 of SMF. This means we will run a test server which will make sure everything is correct before we switch over. There will however be a loss of up to 12 hours on the day that this moves, but it won't be this month and we can advise you in advance.

This new server is costing a lot more than our current one. We are now on $89 per month instead of £20 and so we are going to ask for "charter" members. The new servers will be based at ServInt and will have a great number of nice new shiney applications, some of which will be made available to Charter members such as the document database, photo area, private "PlanetJersey.Com" email addresses (which do not need to be linked to you account name on PJ) plus a secure section of the forum for Charter Members only.

Charter status will be granted to those who donate at least £60 a year though the higher, the less I personally have to pay. Please send me a PM if you wish to become a charter member, and I will send paypal details to you by return. We will start the new year with a new refurnished website which should again be available to all in Jersey.

Thanks

Admin.

Offline admin

• Administrator
Re: New servers
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2009, 07:16:13 AM »
A test of Version 2 of the new server is available to try on www.jerseytalking.com

Let me know if you find any issues. I will pick up on any bugs and iron them out before the site moves to its new home and single IP address.

Offline admin

• Administrator
Re: New servers
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2010, 06:58:24 PM »
The servers are now updated to Version 2 of SMF

You will shortly notice new membergroups, Chartered Member and Supporting member who will have access to the Archive which will be closed to normal members at the end of the month.

Charter Members will also have access to the site stats (No of visits, countries etc) but no personal information. They will also have access to create their own polls.

Another addition will be the "buy me a drink" button, where you can paypal some cash to any other member.

Now we are on the latest version, there are a number of additions that we can add to enhance the functionality of the site. This will happen over the next few weeks and will hopefully add some much needed additions to the fundtions of this board.

More to come.