Author Topic: GST Anniversary  (Read 6347 times)

debumblebee

GST Anniversary
« on: May 06, 2009, 12:56:56 PM »
http://www.jerseyinsight.com/news_1.aspx?id=0:11710&news=2:2514

This week is the first anniversary of the introduction of GST in Jersey.

The tax was introduced to help fill a black hole in States finances and was hugely controversial and opposed.

Opponents said it would hit the poorest in society and penalise them for buying essential goods and services.

One of those who argued against its introduction was St Brelade Deputy Montford Tadier. He feels "that 12 months on its likely the real pain for consumers is yet to come".

It will be a pain if it goes up.  I know low income people have had handouts to offset GST on food but it will not stay at 3% forever.

mpwpj

Re: GST Anniversary
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2009, 01:23:42 PM »
...I know low income people have had handouts to offset GST on food but it will not stay at 3% forever.
Not all low income people received anything to offset GST.

Offline White Knight

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2009, 01:44:56 PM »
You can bebt your life it will go stright after the 3 year deal, if not before.

mpwpj

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2009, 03:17:27 PM »
You can bebt your life it will go stright after the 3 year deal, if not before.
Is that a mixture of bet and debt?

I assume you mean it'll go up in two years?

Offline !CaveMan

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2009, 03:34:21 PM »
We never needed a tax from TLSueur so now
when I do any jobs for the States of Jersey,
I just Double the price to compensate for all the aggro GST causes
me  especially customs delays on incoming goods I've had to order
and more paperwork being created
it's absolute twaddle......................so got themselfs to blame Grrrrrr idiots

mpwpj

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2009, 03:40:07 PM »
We never needed a tax...
How would you raise funds to pay for public services then?

And how much work are you getting from the States at your grossly inflated prices? not much I hope, as a taxpayer I don't want to be paying through the nose to line the pockets of the greedy like you.

Offline the 13th parish

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2009, 04:02:16 PM »
Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter.

rogueelement

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2009, 04:39:35 PM »
How would you raise funds to pay for public services then?

And how much work are you getting from the States at your grossly inflated prices? not much I hope, as a taxpayer I don't want to be paying through the nose to line the pockets of the greedy like you.
A tax that costs more to implement than it receives is always a stupid tax. If the government had the common decency to impose this tax at the till instead of on the label , there would have been a lot less fuss.
If this stupid Government had not given £150 million straight to the UK govt. by creating the ludicrous situation where "foreign" companies , like , Woolies, BHS, Marks and Sparks and 100s of others do not pay tax in Jersey , we would not have this problem.
How the hell can TLS think he has done anything other than rape and pillage our tax system to satisfy the UK?
How on Earth does he have the brass balls to continue in office after being in charge of a £9million Treasury loss under his command ?
We spend our time on this website , being sidetracked by the inanities of Southern , Syvret and co. They waste our money in the States as our employees by trying to look bloody clever instead of dealing with fundamental issues . I for one would be happier with a single mp to the UK than continue with this bunch of parasites.

Offline !CaveMan

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2009, 04:42:00 PM »
@ mpwpj

I only get a small amount of work from states depts,
 to make the GST tax bearable buy charging them double price for my services im happy,
 they give with one hand and take buy the other as far as im concerned and im one of the poor
 local people here who has got nothing back for all the taxes ive paid into  the system for over 45 years
 so its nice to find a way to get my own back its not your money but mine ive paid up front  :-)

Offline King Rollo

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2009, 05:06:13 PM »
We spend our time on this website , being sidetracked by the inanities of Southern , Syvret and co. They waste our money in the States as our employees by trying to look bloody clever instead of dealing with fundamental issues . I for one would be happier with a single mp to the UK than continue with this bunch of parasites.

Sparty makes a very good point, would any of the islands actually be better off, having the same status as say, Scotland, Wales or NI?  A couple of MPs in Westminster - hey with no arguments against a second home either!!
All civil service, police, customs & infrasturcture costs born by the UK Treasury, membership of the EU and resulting investment to capital projects like schools, hospitals, harbours, transport etc.  The general tax rate is not to hard to bare, VAT a pain but you now have GST anyway and you would probably find the Treasury open to any ideas about how to maintain the tenure of the finance industry and willing to sign exemption certificates & turn a blind eye where neccessary because it is in the interests of the national economy.

Offline Adrian

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2009, 05:43:21 PM »
If we had an MP it would be for the whole channel islands not just Jersey. Syrvet would walk it if he stood as Channel Islands MP.

Offline Dylan

• HELP!
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2009, 05:52:34 PM »
If we had an MP it would be for the whole channel islands not just Jersey. Syrvet would walk it if he stood as Channel Islands MP.

Hahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Laughed Off My Flippin Chair !!!!!!!!!!!
Hahahahahahahahahahaha!
!dereggub si draobyek ym kniht I

mpwpj

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2009, 06:07:01 PM »
...If the government had the common decency to impose this tax at the till instead of on the label , there would have been a lot less fuss...
And how would that have been any better?
...we would not have this problem...
No, but we'd likely have other different problems.
...I for one would be happier with a single mp to the UK than continue with this bunch of parasites...
Thankfully this is a democracy of more than two then.

mpwpj

« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2009, 06:09:16 PM »
...its not your money but mine ive paid up front  :-)
You clearly have a lack of understanding of the tax system.

mpwpj

« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2009, 06:11:46 PM »
...sign exemption certificates & turn a blind eye where neccessary because it is in the interests of the national economy.
I think you if it's in the national interest, and if it isn't?

I don't think I'd base the choice to become part of the UK/EU purely on fiscal concerns.