Author Topic: CUSTOMS cannot cope with GST. Drug dealers think it's Christmas everyday  (Read 8609 times)

Offline Mark Forskitt

• A View from the West
Re: CUSTOMS cannot cope with GST. Drug dealers think it's Christmas everyday
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2009, 05:48:16 PM »
Actually as tax income has gone up £20Mn, supplementation has gone up £10Mn - it is around £60Mn now. This ensures that workers below the average pay level get a full pension for the years worked.
There is something here I would love to have clarified by someone. As I understand it ex-pat UK residents can protect their UK pension entitlements for absent years by continuing to pay class 3 contributions at a current rate of about £480 per year. Thats about a tenth of what our system thinks is needed to cover a pension.  I cant reconcille those figures at all.

Offline moot

« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2009, 11:52:26 PM »
http://www.thisisjersey.com/2009/01/07/cut-price-cocaine-hits-the-streets/

Looks like it's "snowing" cocaine in Jersey and this can only be due to oversupply. Perhaps if there weren't so many customs officers busy with processing GST forms and relations between customs and police were better than they are there would only be the odd shower ( and that's bad enough ! )
« Last Edit: January 07, 2009, 11:55:29 PM by moot »

Offline moot

« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2009, 09:46:11 PM »
http://www.thisisjersey.com/2009/01/13/%c2%bcm-extra-for-new-staff-at-customs/

£¼m extra for new staff at Customs

A QUARTER of a million pounds has been given to Customs and Immigration to help recruit much-needed officers to man the Island’s borders this year.
It follows a recent review by the Education and Home Affairs Scrutiny panel, which identified significant funding pressures and found that Customs and Immigration were struggling to operate at an acceptable level.
However, the head of the service Mike Robinson has warned that the extra £250,000 funding will not be enough to meet future staff costs.
‘We still estimate that we need three more staff to ensure that the Customs controls are properly resourced,’ he said. ‘This would only equate to one extra officer for each frontier team who work a roster of one team in the morning, one in the afternoon and one on a day off.’

This is a smoke screen. The real reason why they cannot cope is the masses of parcels they have to check for GST and processing endless GST documents
Mark my words : They will want a load more of our money soon. It is a bottomless pit, a huge dark hole and in the meantime drugs are flooding into the island lowering prices and spreading like a cancer
Soon there will be more Custom officers than Police
The civil service is like a magic mushroom. It grows and multiplies and then tries to justify both

« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 09:58:49 PM by moot »

Offline imacrappaud

« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2010, 03:03:06 AM »
I ordered a new TV from amazon last week and because it hadnt arrived I used the tracking service. I wasnt surprised it hadnt arrived as quick as their usual amazing service due to the snow in the UK so wasnt particularly bothered but the tracking service is there, why not use it.

Well, the tracking service sad it had arrived at the delivery depot on Monday, nice one I thought it has arrived at the airport or harbour in the UK and is on its way. 4 days later I check it again and it still says arrived at delivery depot. Fair enough perhaps they have a backlog. Two hours later the post arrives and in it is a letter from grand old jersey customs, written on Monday 6th December. It had arrived on time as promissed but our good old customs were holding on to it and didnt have the decency to phone on the Monday that a courier package had arrived. No, instead of recognising that a courier service offers speedy delivery they send a second class letter out that arrives four days later.

Now look, I aint bothered by the fact there was the delay as such. Tomorrow I will get a lovely new TV but i wonder why, when the cost of a simple phone call (my number was on the letter they sent) is about 7p yet the cost of a letter is much more on top. Postage, printing etc. What a waste of money when a quick phone call would have sufficed. To put it in perspective, in the past when an item has made it to the courier that they arent able to deliver till GST is paid they phone up, give the reference number and then I do my bit and the item is delivered same day providing I pay up quickly.

I see it like this, if a decent courier gets hold of your item and needs GST paid then they will do their upmost to ensure speedy delivery. If it gets stopped beforehand, or perhaps by Jersey Cargo then you are left at the realms of the Jersey Customs speedy policy and anything with the name Jersey in it just does not know the word speedy.

Anyway, rant over and I am a miserly bugger because I deliberatly borrowed some money to get the TV before GST went up, despite the massive savings I had already made by buying online, so I call that a result!!

Up yours Pip!

Offline ageofaquarius

« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2010, 04:05:31 AM »
making a phone call would be using their initiative, don't think thats in their job description  ;)

Offline man in the street

« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2010, 02:13:33 AM »
i have not had something delivered for months , and have decided its lost or not sent by a ebayer( who has vanished)
do you think customs have it?
 ive had stuff stopped by customs  regarding tax before and they sent me , letter type notice , do you think this has stopped , would they keep something for months and not contact you , due to the amount of work now piled on them?

Offline danrok

« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2010, 03:04:54 AM »
I don't think items are held by customs, they're kept to one side in the shipping company's warehouse.

The shipping company will log in to the customs website and check that the taxes have been paid, before releasing/delivering the item.

Offline David Rotherham

« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2010, 07:54:27 PM »
No consistency in it. Early this year, I got a letter telling me to pay up my import duty within 7 days or lose my package, and I wasn't even expecting anything. Turned out to be something that had already been delivered the previous summer!

Offline moot

« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2010, 10:33:46 PM »
No consistency in it. Early this year, I got a letter telling me to pay up my import duty within 7 days or lose my package, and I wasn't even expecting anything. Turned out to be something that had already been delivered the previous summer!

It's called CHAOS but cannot admit it