Author Topic: Alternates to GST  (Read 6782 times)

Jason the Maverick

Alternates to GST
« on: February 09, 2008, 05:55:10 PM »
I have pulled these ideas from the top of my head.

If you can think of others let me know and I will add them to the Poll.

They say they have considered all forms of alternate taxation but prefer the "lets hit the people that cannot hit back approach".

There are a few of my suggestions which could be combined.  For example we could use the interest from the Strategic Reserve for the time being to fill the deficit and then attack spending in the meantime, leaving GST at Zero % for now.

At the moment with inflation at 4.5% alternates which could be simple shouldn't be ignored.

I also think it may be time to introduce a Register of Trusts in Jersey even it if is made not available for Public View.  It will then dismiss the myth that we are firstly secretive and an annual fee of say £150.00 could be applied to the 10,000's of Trusts allegedly already in existence.

The idea though of taxing everything at the moment at 3% in May with the R.P.I as it is now could be economically disastrous, especially if coupled with a Global recession.

« Last Edit: February 09, 2008, 06:25:33 PM by JTM »

Offline Terminator 4

Re: Alternates to GST
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2008, 07:32:17 PM »
Maybe you should be working for the JDA, they are really short of ideas at the moment?  :-X

Jason the Maverick

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2008, 07:51:12 PM »
I would have thought that they (the States) have looked at a lot of these suggestions, but perhaps not hard enough.

I think the timing of GST on inflation is looking very precarious.

Offline Millennium Man

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2008, 12:05:33 AM »
They talk about controlling inflation as if GST doesn't exist.  Our economists are a joke.

Jason the Maverick

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2008, 06:34:24 AM »
I noticed on the news that they mentioned ways of controlling inflation mainly hitting of salary freezes but no mention of GST.  Who are Senator Ozouf and Le Sueur really kidding?

AHITS

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2008, 11:48:14 AM »
Salary freezes, eh?  Well, in that light the first thing I would suggest is the removal of the annual £4000 of completely unaccountable 'expenses'  that each States member is given.

Currently recipients can use that money to buy pens and paper for government related use...or stick it in the bank to help fund their yacht. And they do not have to say how one single penny of that cash was spent - or if it was spent.

To remove this perk of the job would free up almost £220,000 per year. Over the course of just 5 years, that's more than one million pounds.

If, like every other legitimate business in the civillised world, States expense payments were monitored and made fully accountable, the States would undoubtably make huge financial savings, as cash for expenses would only be handed out for necessities of a States business related nature.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2008, 11:54:43 AM by AHITS »

Jason the Maverick

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2008, 01:16:46 AM »
If you look at the "Real" wealth of Walker, Ozouf & Le Sueur they don't even need paying.

Offline Terminator 4

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2008, 03:01:00 AM »
CGT sounds netter now.

Jason the Maverick

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2008, 03:04:29 AM »
I always thought a Capital Gains Tax on property values is only fair now.  20% non taxable increases?  It will probably bring prices down and will take away the need for GST totally.

They cannot ignore it for ever, because when people do start leaving other massive problems will follow.

A young person in Jersey has no real future sticking around now.

Offline Terminator 4

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2008, 01:25:39 AM »
The idea sounds good but the States passing that would be like them writing their own death warrant.

Jason the Maverick

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2008, 03:22:06 AM »
I agree. but they cannot ignore house prices forever.

Offline David Rotherham

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2008, 10:19:46 AM »
Maybe you should be working for the JDA, they are really short of ideas at the moment?  :-X
Half the list ARE JDA ideas!

Jason the Maverick

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2008, 02:00:27 PM »
They never came from the JDA because the JDA have never made a list.

But I think most have already been looked at and dismissed anyhow.

Offline JACKSBACK

« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2008, 02:17:47 AM »
Out of control spending and high salaries in the States is the biggest problem. 
Vote the JDA

Offline Terminator 4

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2008, 02:26:14 AM »
They need to do something with their final salary pension schemes.