Author Topic: People cannot afford pets anymore  (Read 7486 times)

Jason the Maverick

People cannot afford pets anymore
« on: September 03, 2008, 12:34:48 PM »
"MORE PETS ABANDONED

More islanders are taking their pets to the Animals Shelter because they can't afford to keep them.

The JSPCA says it's seen an increase of 54 per cent in the number of dogs being left.

And the number of abandoned cats is up by more than a third.

CEO Major Steven Coleman says housing's also a problem because some share transfer properties don't allow people to have pets".

Another sign of inflation and GST?

Offline Fritz

Re: People cannot afford pets anymore
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2008, 06:33:53 PM »
Could just eat them, cut the shopping bill and save the animal shelter the cost of looking after them at the same time.

Chief Minister

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2008, 07:54:08 PM »
Its a good idea cause that's what they used to do down Cannon Street in the 70's.

Offline ageofaquarius

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2008, 09:13:49 PM »
WTF! our cat cost us about £2pw plus the odd scraps of left over fish/chicken, ok we live in country parish and she is good at catching mice, but she is cheap to keep.  I simply don't get it! maybe its pets insurance that is costing  ???

Offline Terminator 4

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2008, 09:59:54 PM »
Yer, but they r blamin Share Transfer Flats for the problem.....

Mind you, you can hardly swing a cat in one these Dandara flats  :-*

Offline danrok

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2008, 10:18:09 PM »
I used to have a dog, she was old, and the vet's bills and medication cost a significant amount.

Jason the Maverick

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2008, 10:47:55 PM »
Vet bills are obscene over here, but then again if people are living in share transfer flats, its hardly a place to keep a dog.

Offline Jersey Spud

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2008, 08:41:06 AM »
I'm not sure its about cash as much as its about the basic desire to look after them properly.

A lot of people dont seem to be able to keep their children under control, so it's hardly surprising that pets are out in the cold.

Offline !CaveMan

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2008, 10:26:16 AM »
if your Cat ends up at animal shelter cos it went missing and was found by someone, when you go to collect it, as  my neighbour has done on several occaisions they charge him £22 each time for keepin it overnight.
so far hes spent £66 on the puss.

Offline Jersey Spud

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2008, 12:18:42 PM »
if your Cat ends up at animal shelter cos it went missing and was found by someone, when you go to collect it, as  my neighbour has done on several occaisions they charge him £22 each time for keepin it overnight.
so far hes spent £66 on the puss.

Cats should be kept indoors as far as I'm concerned. I'm fed up of other peoples moggies hunting the birds in my back garden  :(

Offline ageofaquarius

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2008, 08:53:46 PM »
If cats live indoors then the house smells of piss! if you cannot let it roam then it is cruel to have one, all a cat needs is a bowl of food, a loving caress and plenty of roaming opportunities. if you cannot give it that, then don't have one.

Offline danrok

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2008, 11:16:39 PM »
Cats should be kept indoors as far as I'm concerned. I'm fed up of other peoples moggies hunting the birds in my back garden  :(

If all cat owners put collars with bells on their cats, when they go out, then fewer birds would be killed.

Although, the cats would still succeed in disrupting birds while they're feeding, which is not good especially when it gets colder outside.

Offline Swompy

• Jersey Beautiful Jersey
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2008, 01:00:26 PM »
Could just eat them, cut the shopping bill and save the animal shelter the cost of looking after them at the same time.

SHHHHH-!!!!!!!!!!- Bridget (I know it all)  may be watching.
What ARE you doing to my Beautiful Jersey?

Offline Jack

People cannot afford pets anymore
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2008, 03:57:27 PM »
Domesticating and unnaturally confining a wild animal is cruel, no matter how much it loves its owner, and Cats will always be Cats, with the thoughts and desires and actions of the mind of a Cat.

As the adopted owner of the Cat, its keeper receives the most precious thing in return, the love of the Cat.

To love and be loved is the most precious thing.

The keeping and feeding of the life which you love becomes a joy, not a burden if you truly love!

And if you take the time, even a wild animal can be changed with a little love.

SHHHHH-!!!!!!!!!!- Bridget (I know it all)  may be watching.

Yes I agree, Bridget S., an eye may be open and focused upon you!
« Last Edit: September 11, 2008, 09:18:34 PM by Jack »
No vote, no voice; no reason to speak your mind, no reason to vote... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reason

Offline danrok

« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2008, 04:48:12 PM »
Domestic cats have been domesticated for thousands of years, they're not really wild animals any more.  No more wild than a cow or sheep.