Author Topic: Economic Development Minister: Senator Philip Ozouf  (Read 26141 times)

Jason the Maverick

Economic Development Minister: Senator Philip Ozouf
« on: February 07, 2008, 04:55:13 AM »
How do you rate Senator Ozouf?

Jason the Maverick

Re: Economic Development Minister: Senator Philip Ozouf
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2008, 12:05:59 AM »
ECO-ACTIVE means business!

A scheme has been launched to help businesses identify and reduce the environmental impacts of their operations.

The scheme, ECO-ACTIVE BUSINESS has been launched by Senator Philip Ozouf and is a branch of the ECO-ACTIVE campaign that was launched by Senator Freddie Cohen at the beginning of 2007.

Senator Ozouf said:

"I believe that the time is absolutely right for this scheme. The global environmental challenges we face are serious and cannot be ignored.

"Jersey has an international reputation and we want all local businesses to show their competitors that they are acting in an environmentally responsible way.

"Organisations are rightly aware that their customers and staff are judging them on their environmental performance and they also know that good environmental performance makes good business sense."

ECO-ACTIVE BUSINESS provides concrete assistance to all organisations of whatever size and shape through the provision of a ‘Toolkit’ and guidance material.

By committing to meaningful environmental improvement, businesses can become a member of the scheme. By becoming accredited members of the scheme, businesses will:-

Reduce their environmental impact;
Comply with local environmental legislation;
Demonstrate to their customers and staff that they value the environment;
Improve their bottom line by using resources more efficiently

The project is a partnership project between the Department for Economic Development and the Planning and Environment Department. Critical to the initiative has been the project’s partners the Gerard Le Claire Environmental Trust and Standard Chartered Bank.

Alison McFadyen, Chief Executive Officer of Standard Chartered Bank, Jersey, said:

"Our organisation recognises the value our customers place on the environmental performance of our business and we are delighted to partner this initiative that will help and guide all businesses to minimise their environmental impacts."

Sarah Le Claire of the Gerard Le Claire Environmental Trust added:

"The value of this locally tailored scheme is that it is applicable to all types of businesses and organisations from an international financial organisation to a sole trader.

"It is free to join and businesses identify the environmental improvements relevant to them making it truly something that all organisations can sign up to."

« Last Edit: March 26, 2008, 07:12:42 AM by JTM »

Offline Darius

• Justice for Jersey
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2008, 06:34:20 PM »
Well I am going to have to disagree again, I like Philip personally. He certainly is the hardest worker and is totally committed to Jersey politics. I would be sorry to see him go. He will always give a coherent argument to back up his opinion, though I don't always agree with his opinion. I have never heard him use the standard Walker/Le Sueur 'You're trying to destroy the finance industry', or 'you're not a team player'.

As to gay rights well let's face it he is just saving Jersey a load of legal fees when people bring cases to the Royal Court for breaches of the Human Rights Law and in any case his sexuality is irrelevant to me.

Offline Darius

• Justice for Jersey
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2008, 01:31:22 AM »
I would rather look at the job he is doing as opposed to the person.  His attitude towards GST in trying to bring it in early and upsetting retailers with the prices on the shelf fiasco is not a good job.

Well I don't think we need GST which is just there to create more civil services jobs and add to the already horrendous bureaucratic burden that local businesses have had to take on as a result of Senator Walker's failure to understand that just because a civil servant says he needs more staff and bigger budgets it isn't necessarily true.

Pricing for GST on the shelves is best for the consumer, prices are after all marked psychologically (typically at x.99p) now are shops going to start adding the 3% on and selling things for £1.02 or whatever? E.g. is pound world going to become £1.03 world? Think of the extra expense involved in having to have all the smaller demoninations of coinage in the till (given the rate that banks charge to change denominations of money). Ok for larger purchases it doesn't make much difference but the majority of your purchases I would imagine are for low value items (a sandwich or a pint) where the psychology of selling is very important.

Jason the Maverick

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2008, 02:34:26 AM »
Well I don't think we need GST which is just there to create more civil services jobs and add to the already horrendous bureaucratic burden that local businesses have had to take on as a result of Senator Walker's failure to understand that just because a civil servant says he needs more staff and bigger budgets it isn't necessarily true.

I think we will have to start telling ourselves soon that we have got it.

Jason the Maverick

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2008, 02:11:09 AM »
In all fairness I think gay rights is a European pressurised thing more than anything.  Guernsey is now lagging behind on this.

Jason the Maverick

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2008, 07:08:17 AM »
Well I hope he considers in joining us despite some of these views  :o.

I am actually starting to think that some people may not actually understand his full role, which is actually not an easy one.  Economic development with a precarious tourism industry cannot be easy.

But, Google, easyJet, involvement in a lot of legislative changes and the promotion of the Island in general has to be seen as only good, and lets not forget, he did top the Polls last time.

« Last Edit: March 26, 2008, 07:12:02 AM by JTM »

Davros Le Sueur

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2008, 09:10:45 AM »
I don't trust him. Too smarmy and you can tell how much he wants to be CM.
Smiling assassin?
That's my opinion and I sit back to get fried as I see he is a big hero to many on this site :(

Jason the Maverick

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2008, 09:23:40 AM »
Your opinion is fine  ;)

Chief Minister

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2008, 11:34:25 AM »
I don't trust him. Too smarmy and you can tell how much he wants to be CM.
Smiling assassin?

Assassin!  Vested interest!

Jason the Maverick

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2008, 11:39:16 AM »
I am still waiting for him to stick his neck out and come on this forum!

I think you have to look at the record here, and his enthusiasm for prosperity is a little higher than people give him credit for.

Davros Le Sueur

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2008, 01:05:33 PM »
I'm sorry, but he is responsible for the GST pricing fiasco and voted for GST, so no vote from me. >:(

Thanks though for not shooting me down :)

Jason the Maverick

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2008, 01:36:44 PM »
Well he was asked to explain this.  He has not delivered, so it is an open forum.  :)

AHITS

« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2008, 03:19:53 PM »
That's my opinion and I sit back to get fried as I see he is a big hero to many on this site :(

I don't see that. I see him as a big hero to a very small minority who speak rather loudly. Don't let yourself be fooled....

Jason the Maverick

« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2008, 04:14:15 PM »
Let the music begin.